PDA

View Full Version : Just another gimmick?

walker77
12-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Have any of you guys seen the otis ceramic bore liner? Just wondering IF it really did work, i wonder how that would help with leading and such. For the price they want for it, it better work.

http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=229&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=1525.6660

http://www.otisgun.com/photo/229.jpg

Shiloh
12-05-2009, 12:13 PM
This is the first I've heard of it. I'll google it.

Shiloh

walker77
12-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah me too, they had an ad in one of the gun magazines i bought

jack19512
12-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Can't say about barrels being ceramic coated but Yamaha ceramic coats at least some of their motorcycle engine cylinders, must be some advantage as they have been doing this for a while.

Recluse
12-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Just as I'm leery of a "mechanic in a bottle" (all the miracle engine restoration formulations, instant mpg increases, instant stop- leaks, etc), I'm equally leery of such "formulas and products" for firearms.

Maybe I'm just too old and too cynical. . .

IF I was of a mind to try it, I believe I'd find an old junker or beater gun to try it on first. Don't think I'd immediately grab the HK91 or Browning or Weatherby and start lapping it with the stuff.

Of course, funny thing, with those guns, you don't NEED a "mechanic in a bottle." Go figure.

:coffee:

walker77
12-05-2009, 01:20 PM
The biggest problems i see is first the cost, 89.00 second is its not permanent.

303Guy
12-05-2009, 01:53 PM
I think it will work. It might not be necessary for most but for a cast boolit shooter it might just be the best thing since sliced bread! And I'd say that with cast boolits the process would never need to be repeated (stage three, that is). It sounds like a lapping process followed by the ceramic 'infusion' process. Makes sense to me. I might just try it on my Lee Enfield MkI - it has a good bore but has not been lapped and I want to dedicate this rifle to cast boolits (and PPCBoo's).

Imagine J-word performance with cast! :cbpour:

Marlin Hunter
12-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I think it is another version of this stuff

http://www.cermetlab.com/

jhalcott
12-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I tried THIS product on several guns with good to excellent results( http://www.microlon.com/gun_metal_treatment.php ) so MAYBE the cermet does work!

Storydude
12-05-2009, 02:08 PM
After watching a Ford 300 last for over 300 miles with less than a quart of oil in it, I'd say some of the claims of that product are suspect.

StarMetal
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
There has been progress in automotive products such as additives and oils, throw in greases...contrary to what some stated here. Synthetic motor oil is an improvement and so are any of it's derivatives such as gear oils and transmission oils. Some of the oil additives do work. One of the better ones was Wynns Engine Friction Proofer. Hard to find now. To a degree STP works some. Now as far as the ones that claim to restore your rings and cylinders I don't believe in. Metal is gone, they are worn out, not a lot can be done about that. Getting onto the leaks, speaking of engine oil leaks, the ones that claim that have a chemical in them that expands the seals and gaskets. They do work to a degree. Radiator stop leak definitely works.

As for gun barrels, about the only thing I would let be done some of mine or own...are the chrome bores.

Joe

Storydude
12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Want to stop a seal leak?

toss 1/4 cup brake fluid into the oil. It'll stop the leak.....until the brake fluid swells the seal enough for it to fail. Stop leak is the bane of many a cooling system. as it clogs cores, tubes and makes for a general mess for the guy rodding your rad.

Bill*
12-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I wonder how many barrels can be treated for that $89???

walker77
12-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I wonder how many barrels can be treated for that $89???

probably one hand gun!

WHITETAIL
12-06-2009, 09:17 AM
I always wait for about 5-10 years for a new product
to pan out.
If it is as good as one said, it will be there in 5 years.
If it is a joke you will not be out the money.[smilie=b:

c3d4b2
12-06-2009, 12:35 PM
From a quick check of the literature and some other sites the material is claimed to reduce friction. From my experience, and what I have read on the subject, it is the heat of the powder and pressure that erodes the barrels and not the friction of the bullets. My question is, will this product help with the erosion issues or is it limited to reducing friction?

303Guy
12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
If the bore surface is hardened by infusion then it would be more resistant to powder/flame erosion. It sounds like it is the powder granules themselves that cause throat erosion.

My interest in this stuff is what it can do to reduce leading. First the product polishes the bore then infusion hardens it. Sounds like a cast lead shooters dream. It should also eliminate copper fouling - if it works at all - what's not to like? Trouble is, there is only one way to find out!

StarMetal
12-06-2009, 01:13 PM
From a quick check of the literature and some other sites the material is claimed to reduce friction. From my experience, and what I have read on the subject, it is the heat of the powder and pressure that erodes the barrels and not the friction of the bullets. My question is, will this product help with the erosion issues or is it limited to reducing friction?

Here's what wears a barrel, heat from the powder, friction heat from the bullet, powder kernel abrasion that is like sand blasting, and incorrect barrel cleaning. I'm sure there are some others.

Joe

Rockydog
12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
We've had some discussions and a couple of user trials on HB and BSB. Try here. RD

http://www.handloadersbench.com/view_topic.php?id=10411&forum_id=5

stephen perry
12-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Like adding sawdust to a differential. Last long enough to sell the car.

Now a ceramic barrel that has been my interest before this additive came out. I have stated before a ceramic barreled action is in the future for a foreward thinking arms manufacture like Ruger or Savage. Tooling up would a horrendous endeveavor but not beyond reach.

Some advantages of a ceramic barreled action would be weight somewhat less than chrome moly or stainless. A ceramic barrel would never show throat erosion and barrel life would be endless. A ceramic unit would not be affected my climate changes. A drawback would be that smiths might not have the resources to machine ceramic which is a different animal than metal.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

Marlin Hunter
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Like adding sawdust to a differential. Last long enough to sell the car.

Now a ceramic barrel that has been my interest before this additive came out. I have stated before a ceramic barreled action is in the future for a foreward thinking arms manufacture like Ruger or Savage. Tooling up would a horrendous endeveavor but not beyond reach.

Some advantages of a ceramic barreled action would be weight somewhat less than chrome moly or stainless. A ceramic barrel would never show throat erosion and barrel life would be endless. A ceramic unit would not be affected my climate changes. A drawback would be that smiths might not have the resources to machine ceramic which is a different animal than metal.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

I think the 2 biggest problems of ceramic barrels are cost and the possibility of breaking. Steel is a little elastic and may show signs of bulging before it cracks or breaks open. I don't think ceramic is very elastic and would burst without warning. steel barrels can be dropped on the ground, but ceramic might break. Ceramic would allow for some interesting rifling configurations. I don't know very much abotu ceramic, but someone who worked with it told me that they have to make the part bigger because it shrinks when it is cured/fired.