PDA

View Full Version : "New" to me 41 Swiss

Cactus Farmer
12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I just got a package from Freightman, a 41 Swiss that has been sporterized. Bright shiny bore and I promptly went out in the snow and killed a piece of firewood. Almost pinwheeled the end of the log.[smilie=w:
We met on this forum and I again am amazed and proud to be a member of said forum. I've been casting for 50 years and ,yep,I still can learn new things.
Go find a Swiss and shoot it. You,too, will be delighted with this rifle. Now to find time to go and "get meat" with this wonderful new toy...
Anyone got any split necked 348s? I want more brass...hehehehehehe:mrgreen:

dubber123
12-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I just got a package from Freightman, a 41 Swiss that has been sporterized. Bright shiny bore and I promptly went out in the snow and killed a piece of firewood. Almost pinwheeled the end of the log.[smilie=w:
We met on this forum and I again am amazed and proud to be a member of said forum. I've been casting for 50 years and ,yep,I still can learn new things.
Go find a Swiss and shoot it. You,too, will be delighted with this rifle. Now to find time to go and "get meat" with this wonderful new toy...
Anyone got any split necked 348s? I want more brass...hehehehehehe:mrgreen:

Contact Smokemjoe here on the forum. I got a batch of reformed 8mm Lebel off him for a .41, and it works great. Joes good to deal with also.

JeffinNZ
12-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Joe designed his own .41 Swiss bullet and had Jim at CBE make it for him.

TAWILDCATT
12-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I think the 8 mm lebel fits better.

Bret4207
12-15-2009, 08:40 AM
This thread needs PICTURES!

bonza
12-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I picked up my first Vetterli a week or so ago. Lee reloading dies & 8mm Lebel cases arrived the other day. Unfortunately the Lee dies come with a shell holder to fit .348WCF, as I assume that's what most people have used as a parent case until recently, so now I have to wait for the proper one to arrive (Lee #17).....oh, the torment!

Safeshot
12-15-2009, 10:17 PM
The set of Lee .41 swiss dies that I received had a shell holder to fit a 45/70 case (which I think is much too small in case head diameter to make a good .41 Swiss case). The # 17 shell holder will fit a 8mm Lebel and also will fit a .348 W. I also agree that the 8mm Lebel is the best case to use to reform to the .41 Swiss (now that good - new boxer primed cases are available - from Graf & Son). Priming will be a challenge if you are using a Lee Auto Prime. I was informed by Lee Customer Service that they do not make a #17 shell holder for the Lee Auto Prime. You can modify a regular shell holder (as used in the reloading press) by grinding off the bottom end of it and grinding out the center hole to .310 Dia. Most of the shell holders are "very hard" and grinding is the best way to reshape them. Then you will need to relieve the top housing on the Lee Auto Prime to accept the cartridge case head. It is some effort, but it will work. If you prime in a reloading press with the "priming arm" (the easy way to prime the 8mm Lebel Case) there should not be a problem. Good luck with your .41 Swiss loading efforts and keep us advised of your progress.

bonza
12-16-2009, 11:59 AM
When I started reloading my .577/.450 I bought one of the Lee priming tools that screws into the press & uses regular shellholders, so I'll use that for the Swiss, too. Had a difficult time finding any Lee #17 shellholders, or other brand's equivalent. but finally located some at Midway. I ordered two as I've heard of them breaking while forming cases.

Safeshot
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
bonza,
Your approach to priming the .41 Swiss (8mm Lebel) cartridge case is better and easier, much easier. I am just "stuck" in the "Auto Primming" priming "mode".

leadman
12-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I have an old Lyman mold that drops a 376 grain round nose boolit of about .435" if anyone needs something to shoot. I was told these were for the Swiss rifle.

I am going to try these sized to .431" in my 445 SuperMag chambered H&R Shikari. Just need to find the time.

dubber123
12-18-2009, 03:41 PM
bonza,
Your approach to priming the .41 Swiss (8mm Lebel) cartridge case is better and easier, much easier. I am just "stuck" in the "Auto Primming" priming "mode".

You mean you guys don't just slip the case over a bolt in the Vise and hammer the primers in on your .41 Swiss? Should see my buddy Greg do it, shows you how hard it is to make a primer go off... :shock: