PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger .44 Specials

376Steyr
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Ruger's website is now showing the .44 Special Blackhawk as a standard catalog item. From the spec sheet and illustration, it looks like it is the same as the Lipsey's distributor special with the steel gripframe and ejector rod housing. I got one of the Lipsey guns, it is built like a little tank (and that's a good thing) and shoots as good as I can hold, too.

http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/5232.html

exile
12-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I was at Scheels in Lincoln NE a couple of days ago, and they had two .44 Special flattops. I bought a .41 and do not regret my decision, but they are there (I imagine) if anyone is still looking for one. I callled them several times previously and they did not have any, guess they just got them in.

exile

No_1
12-04-2009, 07:06 PM
That is pretty sweet looking. I would love to have one.

Robert

targetshootr
12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
You know it'll be a big seller. The longer it's around, the better the prices will get in the used market.

Johnch
12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Good
I will have my dealer put one on order for me

As Lipsey's would not sell him one of the original ones

John

Dale53
12-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I have a 5½" .44 Lipsey Special. It is a wondrous field pistol. I cannot imagine a better single action than this one represents. Mine shoots at target level, is in an excellent caliber, and I was able to get my preferred barrel length.

My cylinder throats are proper size for great results. I had a trigger job done. The grip frame is too small for me. The trigger guard would whack my middle finger making anything above the recoil level of a target load quite painful (I have rather large hands). However, "What Cheer" came to my rescue and sent me a pair of Pachmayr grips made for the Colt SAA. They don't fit perfectly, but work extremely well. NO MORE PAIN! The Packmayr's cover the back strap and have a filler behind the trigger guard. They work VERY well for me. Unfortunately, Packmayr have discontinued these grips and have stated to me that they have no intention of adding grips for the XR3 grip frame:evil:. I then got lucky and found some Pachmyr's on Ebay (new in the boxes). I shared my find with my shooting buddy. Now, we are both fixed up.

Now, the Lipsey .44 Special will work at its maximum potential for me.

Here's how mine shoots (25 yards standing):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img063.jpg

The load is a target load - 4.1 Clays behind the new MiHec 250 gr Keith (H&G #503 Clone). It also shoots the "Skeeter" load at match level (7.5 grs of Unique behind the same bullet).

Thanks again, What Cheer!

Dale53

targetshootr
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Someone could make some money if they brought out FA-style grip frames to fit Rugers like the 44 spl. I think I'd have them on all my guns.

Dale53
12-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Someone could make some money if they brought out FA-style grip frames to fit Rugers like the 44 spl. I think I'd have them on all my guns.

Or, they could just produce these with Bisley grip frames. My new SS Bisley .45 Colt convertible grips handle moderate to heavy recoil quite well (compared to the XR3 grip frames, there is NO comparison).

My brother has an original .357 Flattop frame with a set of Herrett grips on it. The checkered wooden grips have a filler behind the trigger guard and extend past the bottom of the grip frame. They are SUPER comfortable. I called Herrett's and they will not even make me a set for the XR3 grip frame. I suspect that everything is "production" these days and they apparently don't think that it'll pay to tool up for these frames. Most of the XR3 grip frames go on the New Vaqueros for the Cowboy Crowd and they wouldn't be caught dead with a custom wood grip on their revolvers (might not even be allowed under current rules). I understand they DO quite often have fancy wooden grips but they follow the original pattern grips of the Colt SAA (not a Herret grip with filler and extensions, etc).

Oh well, my Pachmayrs work just fine, thank you, and give me excellent control while eliminating the pain.:drinks:

FWIW
Dale53

wallenba
12-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Hopefully a SS version soon too, 44 Specials seem to like me, and follow me home.

EOD3
12-05-2009, 12:31 AM
I have way more single actions than my wife is comfortable with :D but I hope the Ruger sells like hotcakes. Someone at S&W might notice the Special isn't an obsolete cartridge. I'm thinking a nice hammerless or shrouded hammer 5 shooter in .44 Special would make a sweet carry gun. 8-)

That'll Do
12-05-2009, 02:11 AM
I have the Lipsey's version with a 5 1/2" bbl, and it definitely is an excellent gun.

Out of the box accuracy is excellent. The only thing I did to mine was replace the plastic grips with wooden ones, as the original grips ate the palm of my hand with loads that are anything greater than target velocity.

This gun is a gem, and a stainless version would be excellent.

crabo
12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Dale, how about a picture of the grips?

Dale53
12-05-2009, 08:15 PM
crabo;
Which grips do you mean? In the last post I mentioned my brother's Herrett's grips, my Bisley Convertible, and my Pachmayr rubber grips.

Not at all trying to be argumentative - just trying to be helpftul:mrgreen:

Dale53

crabo
12-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Particularly the Pachmayrs and the Herretts if you get a chance sometime. I really like the idea of a single action pistol, until I shoot one and then I go cold. I would like a 44 special but I don't know that I would ever buy one. Of course in the long run, that would probably be best for my pocket book.

Dale53
12-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Crabo;
I'll get up a picture of the Pachmayrs in a day or so. The Herrett's belong to my brother and that will take a bit longer.

The Pachmayr grips make these revolvers work extremely well for me. Without them, not so much:cry:

I have, let's just say, more than enough revolvers around here. The Ruger .44 Lipsey Special Flattop is a premier revolver. As far as desirability, they rank right alongside a 624 S&W (I have both so have no prejudice here) and from me, that is high praise indeed. My 625's are in the same category.

Understand where I am coming from. I am a shooter, NOT a collector, so that is the prospective from my viewpoint. I am performance oriented.

Dale53

Leadforbrains
12-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Well If this is all for real then it must mean Ruger is finally listening. I have the 5 & 1/2 inch model and I still love it even after I had to send it back to ruger. I hope I can get the money to buy one with the shorter barrel length when they become available.

Thumbcocker
12-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I had a Bisley grip frame hammer and trigger put on mine. There is a slight bump where the grip frame doesnt quite meet the frame but I am more than satisfied with the result. It makes one sweet handling single action and looks very good.