PDA

View Full Version : Case tumbler RPM question...

montana_charlie
05-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I have no plans to buy a rotary case tumbler, as I run brass through an ultrasonic cleaner. But, I sometimes find myself toying with the idea of building one.
The ultrasonic leaves them quite clean, but not shiny.

I was going through my 'treasure trove' of might-come-in-handy-stuff and found an operational bar-b-que rotisserie motor. They are intended to run for long periods of time, can turn a fairly heavy load, and the gear train produces a slow turn that appears to be 6 RPM.

I would like for anybody who knows...or uses a tumbler...to tell me the RPM the factory jobs use, and the approximate diameter of the drum on something similar to the big Thumler.

Thanks...
CM

fecmech
05-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Charlie--I have no idea what a factory tumbler turns but I made one with an old 1/3 hp electric motor that drives a shaft upon which I set a 3lb. coffee can full of media and cases. I have 2 small baffles in the coffee can to tumble the cases. I just checked it and it turns 85 rpm. I use corn cob media and Nufinish car polish, after about 1.5 hrs cases look like polished gold. Nick

Cherokee
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Years ago I built one using a regular 1750 rpm motor and a 1 gal paint can with a belt over the can and the motor shaft. Worked great and the cases got clean. Don't know the rpm's of the rotating pant can but its fast.

KCSO
05-17-2006, 11:49 AM
The Thumbler ran at about 50 rpm( a guess by watching) and had a double reducer from a 1750 motor. The BBQ motor wil work just fine.

wills
05-17-2006, 02:41 PM
This may work

http://www.unitednuclear.com/ballmill.htm

redneckdan
05-17-2006, 03:46 PM
you can go as fast as you want until the cases and media are pinned to the walls of the tumbler by the inertia of the mass. Once that, happens, you are no longer tumbling cause the media and cases are not moving around.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
As cheap as they sell those things these days, I doubt you can build one as cheap as you can buy a good one and nowadays, even the cheap ones are pretty good.

If you're doing it for the fun of it, that's another story.

Dave

montana_charlie
05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
I doubt you can build one as cheap as you can buy a good one and nowadays, even the cheap ones are pretty good.
Dave,
If you have a link to a site that has one which is both cheap and good, I would look at it.

Meanwhile, I have this motor just laying around...and these three pound coffee cans...and some bearings...and a
CM

LAH
05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Perfect speed 48 rpm..............Creeker

carpetman
05-24-2006, 11:29 PM
LAH---Did they make em 48RPM so folks wouldnt get them confused with a 45RPM record player?

largecaliberman
05-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I use an old 1.5 cubic foot cement mixer I purchased for $40.00 at a garage sale then got an old washing machine motor to turn the drum.. My "new" tumbler will handle just about 5 gallons of brass with 25 pounds of walnut media I purchase at a pet store and a bottle of car polish of the amonia free type.

LAH
05-26-2006, 01:27 PM
LAH---Did they make em 48RPM so folks wouldnt get them confused with a 45RPM record player?

Sounds reasonable to me. HEE HEE

rbstern
05-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I've been using this for about six months (several thousand cases). It works well. Capacity is a limiting factor, but cases come out clean after 30 minutes, so it's no big deal. Guessing RPM is somewhere in the 50 to 75 range.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46376

shooter575
05-28-2006, 11:18 PM
montana_charlie ,some years ago I did the same thing.My BBQ motor was 4 RPM. I used a new 1 gal paint can.3/8 bar stock welded to a 10 ga hole saw knockout 3".soft soldered to bottom of the can. Ground flats on the bar to fit motor.Some scrap lumber,pair of plastic wheels to hold up off side. I soldered 3 blades inside[aka cement mixer]
Anyway it would work but is was way to slow rpm and the fall was not enough.I think with a 5 gal bucket @ that rpm it would work better and or incerase the the speed.I figured 25-30 rpm would be about right. My set up would never get a case shiney,even after 24hr running. I got a Cabellas unit for real cheep and quit messing with it.

fecmech
05-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Fellows--I'm almost ashamed to show this but here it is my case tumbler. Consists of an old electric motor, some scrap helicopter bearings,some 2X4, a broom handle, a 3lb. coffe can and other scrap laying around. It will do about 200-300 pistol cases in about 1-1.5 hrs using Nu Finish car polish and cob media. I use the plastic lid from the coffee can by snapping it on and running a piece of masking tape around the edge. Cases are separated from media using one of those mesh lingerie laundry bags. The only thing I purchased was the two pulleys. Hardly an engineering marvel or joy to look at but it's been polishing cases for over 20 years now! Nick

wills
05-29-2006, 10:48 AM
That's great. I would not have been optomistic about the chances of the lid staying on.

NucEm
05-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Hmmmmm, mine isnt a beauty either but works fine in around 50rpm. My question, i used ordnary bearings in mine, if i change them to helicopter bearings, would my B.C.of the cases start to hover higher? and what about aeroplanes bearings?:drinks:
Sorry, couldnt resist it:mrgreen: but the only difference i found when testing rpm from around 50 to include 100 and a tad more was the cleaning speed of the cases but also the sound of them too:confused: so i use around 50rpm now, higher would do i f my can was made of a more "silent " material:???: instead of alu

ANeat
05-31-2006, 06:24 PM
This is my tumbler I made a couple of years ago. It is a 110 volt gear reduction motor that runs at 30 rpm. I savalged it from a machining center I was repairing. It was originally meant to turn a chip auger.
So with a little "engineering" I attatched a 5 gallon bucket and made some "flaps" to go on the inside out of a PVC downspout.
It can handle 2000 45 cases but I usually do around 1000 at a time as the cleaning time is a lot less. Usually only takes an hour and runs very quiet compared to my vibratory tumbler.

I load it up in the vertical position and tumble in the horizontal position.

Adam http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/tumbler.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/tumbler2.jpg

LAH
06-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Well ANeat , that's A Neat tumbler. I have a couple plastic 55 gal. drums I thought might make a nice tumbler if I get back in the brass business. Thanks for the pictures. Is that a plywood base or metal?............Creeker

No_1
06-01-2006, 07:30 AM
A simular set up with rollers instead of a "thru-bar" and this speed would probobly work good with a plastic coffee can to tumble lube. I would think the slow speed and plastic can would minimize the damage to bullets and provide great coverage to a BUNCH of them in short time.

Just my .02 worth,

Robert

[QUOTE=shooter575]montana_charlie ,some years ago I did the same thing.My BBQ motor was 4 RPM. I used a new 1 gal paint can.3/8 bar stock welded to a 10 ga hole saw knockout 3".soft soldered to bottom of the can. Ground flats on the bar to fit motor.Some scrap lumber,pair of plastic wheels to hold up off side. I soldered 3 blades inside[aka cement mixer]
Anyway it would work but is was way to slow rpm and the fall was not enough.QUOTE]

Bucks Owin
06-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Fellows--I'm almost ashamed to show this but here it is my case tumbler. Consists of an old electric motor, some scrap helicopter bearings,some 2X4, a broom handle, a 3lb. coffe can and other scrap laying around. It will do about 200-300 pistol cases in about 1-1.5 hrs using Nu Finish car polish and cob media. I use the plastic lid from the coffee can by snapping it on and running a piece of masking tape around the edge. Cases are separated from media using one of those mesh lingerie laundry bags. The only thing I purchased was the two pulleys. Hardly an engineering marvel or joy to look at but it's been polishing cases for over 20 years now! Nick

Looks fine to me!

In fact it looks kinda like what I envisioned as a tumbler I want to build using an old sewing machine motor and rheostat and 2 lb coffee can.....
I just wonder if the lil' motor will have enough power....

Dennis

ANeat
06-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Well ANeat , that's A Neat tumbler. I have a couple plastic 55 gal. drums I thought might make a nice tumbler if I get back in the brass business. Thanks for the pictures. Is that a plywood base or metal?............Creeker

Thanks; The base is plywood, I didnt think the bottom of the bucket was strong enough by itself. There is a black iron pipe flange screwed to that, I just thread the bucket on and off when I empty it.

If I needed to do more I think I would go the route of a cement mixer.

Adam

largecaliberman
06-05-2006, 06:13 AM
fecmech/aneat,

Looks great!!!! Basically boolit casters are ones who are economicaly minded and creative.:drinks:

bob33809
06-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Here's a picture of mine. Bought tumbler tumbler base and motor off ebay, made drum from 6 inch pcv. Rotates about 30 rpm. Works fine for me.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170609/324b0023acf463cd9500f01dd907d55c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OS OK
06-09-2017, 08:43 PM
My Thumbler Model B runs at 24 RPM.

Traffer
06-09-2017, 09:17 PM
It depends on the size of the baffles inside of the drum. HOWEVER, with that in mind ROUGHLY 1 RPS IS IDEAL. Mine runs at just under 1 rpS and I would like to slow it down a touch. 1 revolution per second is 60 rpm. So the ideal is from 30 rpm to 50 rpm.

Traffer
06-09-2017, 09:26 PM
This is about 50 rpm.
https://www.facebook.com/hans.pcguy/videos/vb.100000751401751/1271786156189752/?type=2&theater

Grmps
06-09-2017, 09:34 PM
+1 on 30 to 50 rpm, I made one of each. search youtube, I made mine using heavy duty windshield wiper motors. 1 uses 1/2 x 3/4 aluminum angle from HD the other 3/4 x1 nylon cut at a 45* for baffles, both work well. I bought 2 gal buckets and screw on leak tite gamma lids from uline (cause I couldn't find them locally. with 5# of stainless pins, lemishine and car wash/wax I can doe 1000 9mm in 1 1/2 hr.

EDG
06-10-2017, 01:06 AM
My Thumbler Tumbler with the 12 lb rubber drum turns 40 RPM