PDA

View Full Version : Freedom arms 97 premier grade opinions?

kingstrider
12-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I stopped at my local shop last week looking for a short barrel stainless .45 Blackhawk. They did not have one but the guy showed me a used Freedom Arms 97 premier grade for around $1550 if I recall. I'd heard good things about these guns for years but had never seen one in person. All I can say is the fit & finish were superb and since then I've been thinking of what it will take to get my hands on it (ie selling or trading something else lol). That's still a LOT of money for a single action gun though so I wanted to get some opinions from folks that own this or similar FA models. Something else, don't a lot of these come with two cylinders? This one was marked .45 Colt on the barrel so I'm guessing it could not be retrofitted with a .454 Casull cylinder?

Dennis Eugene
12-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Love my FA revolver. Mines a Model 83 in 454 with the 45 colt cylinder. The 97 frame is a lot smaller and if I ever can get up the bucks would love to get one. They can't be had in 454 cal. as I don't believe them to be stout enough. 1550 is not a screamin' deal but neither is it robbery. If you can swing it with out hurting your self to bad it would not be a bad buy, it'll shoot and shoot well long after your dust. Just my opinion and worth excatly what ya paid for it. :>) Dennis

Changeling
12-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I stopped at my local shop last week looking for a short barrel stainless .45 Blackhawk. They did not have one but the guy showed me a used Freedom Arms 97 premier grade for around $1550 if I recall. I'd heard good things about these guns for years but had never seen one in person. All I can say is the fit & finish were superb and since then I've been thinking of what it will take to get my hands on it (ie selling or trading something else lol). That's still a LOT of money for a single action gun though so I wanted to get some opinions from folks that own this or similar FA models. Something else, don't a lot of these come with two cylinders? This one was marked .45 Colt on the barrel so I'm guessing it could not be retrofitted with a .454 Casull cylinder?

Hello. I was interested in the model 97 but talking to some people on this forum changed my mind. Mainly because the 97 (only comes in 454LC) is not capable of using a lot of loads that can be used in a Ruger BlackHawk 45LC. Of course there is definitely a difference in the build of these two revolvers. The Freedom Arms 97 is a class act of manufacturing, slimmed down version of there other revolvers. The cylinder is shorter therefore can't accept some bullets and loads because it is not on the same level strength wise as the Ruger Blackhawk.
The price you were quoted is way to high for a used FA 97 in my opinion.

Conclusion: I would really like one but I don't think the price justifies value, just my opinion.

bisleyfan41
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
The 97 can indeed handle Ruger-only 45 loads regularly. Their strength comes from it having only 5 chambers intead of 6. Even with the cylinder being smaller in diameter than a Blackhawk cylinder, there is more meat between the chambers than the Blackhawk.

The hang up with the 97 is that the cylinder is shorter and therefore bullet choice is limited. I think OAL must be kept to 1.61" or so which rules out some true Keith designs and some of the heavies. But the 97 can fully handle Blackhawk pressures.

The 97 is a very handy, well-built revolver that's built as precisely as humans are capable of making them. The price, as stated above, is not bad/not great for a nice used example.

c.r.
12-04-2009, 10:13 PM
The cylinder is shorter therefore can't accept some bullets and loads because it is not on the same level strength wise as the Ruger Blackhawk.

that is not an entirely accurate statement. While it is true, the mdl 97 will limit cartridges OAL to 1.6", that in no way has any effect on the strength of the firearm.

The 97 will handle the "Ruger Only" loads w/ OAL less than or equal to 1.6" found in many of the popular reloading manuals. This max OAL of 1.6" prevents the use of some bullets, such as keith style and some of the 300+ grain bullets.

There are ways of getting around OAL issues by trimming the brass shorter or crimping over the driving band, but in this will also require adjusting the load as you will be reducing case volume.

It is probably more accurate to say, "the 97 will handle "ruger only loads pressures"

The 97 can also be had in a number of caliber/cartridges.....44 special, 41 mag, 45 colt, 45 acp, 32 H&R, 327, 357, and so on......check out FA's website

~~~~~~~~~i see now somebody has replied with the same info while i was typing this. sorry for the double post.

~c.r.

doghawg
12-04-2009, 10:22 PM
The Mod 97 is a medium frame revolver and if chambered in .45 Colt will be limited to SAAMI cartridge OAL. (1.600") by its cylinder length. There are some cast bullets (and most jacketed bullets) that work just fine with a .45 Colt chambering and if you can live within the length limitations it makes a nice combination.

My latest acquisition is a Mod 97 in .44 spl...IMO a perfect marriage of cartridge and gun size. Not as strong as a BH?? I doubt that statement very much. If memory serves correctly Brian Pearce said it was. Doesn't matter to me though....the 97 is a terrific gun.

Ditto on the double or triple post...

snowwolfe
12-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Buy the Freedom Arms and you can go to bed knowing you own the best factory production revolver in the world.

2 dogs
12-04-2009, 10:35 PM
1550 USD is a very good price for a FA97. One can spend a great deal more on a custom.
The 97 can indeed handle Ruger only loads but if I want big loads I use a much bigger sixgun.
The 97 does have a shorter cylinder than a full size Ruger, but a .452 at 900 kills very well.
I have 2 model 97's. One is a 44 special and the other is a 45 Colt with a 45 acp cylinder.
Mine are keepers!

Glen
12-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Good information above -- the FA 97 .45 Colt is indeed a strong gun, both from the 5-shot design and from the alloy/heat-treat that FA uses (high tensile strength). However (as mentioned above) the cylinder IS short and it won't take some of the standard .45 Colt bullets (like the Keith SWC).

This last year, I traded into a FA 97 .45 Colt, and it is a BEAUTIFULLY built gun. The rear sight is windage adjustable, and you tweak the elevation by swapping out the front sight (very easily done with a 1/16" Allen wrench). In contrast to my FA 83 454 Casull (which seems to group everything extremely well), my FA 97 groups most loads, well, mediocre. After much work, I have finally settled on the Saeco 300 grain GC-SWC (which has a nice short nose and has about .035" to spare), sized .451" and loaded over 17.0 grains of 2400. I haven't clocked this load yet, but I would guess that it's doing about 950-1000 fps, it groups into less than 1 1/2" at 50 feet, and with the .380" front sight, it shoots dead-on. I'm happy with that.

targetshootr
12-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I'd like to have one too but there always seems to be a Ruger somewhere getting my money. Like this custom 45 begging for a Bisley conversion:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148187288

c.r.
12-04-2009, 11:45 PM
The rear sight is windage adjustable, and you tweak the elevation by swapping out the front sight

Glen, It's your gun and I'm confident you know what you have, but I've always been under the impression that all adjustable sighted FA's are equipped with a rear sight that is screw adustable for elevation. I am aware the front sights can be swapped out for drastic elevation changes, but i've always thought the rear sight could be adjusted for fine elevation changes.

while I don't have an FA in hand yet, I have a mdl 97 in 44 spec on order and should have it around the first of the year.

~c.r.

Lloyd Smale
12-05-2009, 07:26 AM
youve got it backwards. the 83 comes in 454 but for more money they will make a 45 colt cylinder for it. The 97 comes in 45 colt but the frame is not near big enough for 454s. As a matter of fact the 45 colt version is marginal in lenght for alot of bullets in 45 colt cases.
Hello. I was interested in the model 97 but talking to some people on this forum changed my mind. Mainly because the 97 (only comes in 454LC) is not capable of using a lot of loads that can be used in a Ruger BlackHawk 45LC. Of course there is definitely a difference in the build of these two revolvers. The Freedom Arms 97 is a class act of manufacturing, slimmed down version of there other revolvers. The cylinder is shorter therefore can't accept some bullets and loads because it is not on the same level strength wise as the Ruger Blackhawk.
The price you were quoted is way to high for a used FA 97 in my opinion.

Conclusion: I would really like one but I don't think the price justifies value, just my opinion.

fivegunner
12-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I have one with the extra 45acp cylinder, Its a lot stronger than you are! you can load up the 45 colt so much that it is NOT FUN to shoot . this is a small handgun and very well built , I shoot 270 gr Keith type swc at 1,000 FPS and its a handfull . I have much bigger handguns if I want more power. this 97 rides so nice in a Milt Sparks 200AW its a joy to carry all day. as to the price ? I bought it new from Freedom arms at dealer price and I payed much more than $1,5.00 for it and if I lost it some how, I would order a new one in a heart beat .:lovebooli

Changeling
12-05-2009, 07:24 PM

I didn't lie to you whatsoever. Write down all the questions you have and the things you have read here and call them (FA) and ask your specific questions. This way you will get answers maybe your ears have already heard directly from the manufacture . Good luck.

ktw
12-06-2009, 12:53 AM
I bought a Model 97 in 45 Colt new about 5 years ago. Around $1600 as I recall. Significantly cheaper than sending a Blackhawk off to someone like Linebaugh and then you'd still have a Blackhawk sized handgun. I was willing to trade off the option of a blue finish for a smaller framed gun.

As far as extras, I asked for the 45ACP cylinder and the matte finish. I have been happy with both. I did not get the factory trigger job. I don't know how the trigger could be any better than it is now. It has a far better trigger than any other gun I own and that includes a couple of S&W's and an Anschutz.

-ktw

Lloyd Smale
12-06-2009, 08:15 AM
ive got a couple FA guns but sadly no 97. Someday i will rectify that but when i do it will no doubt be a 44 special. the 45colt and 41mag 97s are just to short in the cylinder for alot of the cast bullets we shoot. The 44 special will run right on the heals of either in a 97 and will allow you to use any bullet even the heavies.

500bfrman
12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Buy the Freedom Arms and you can go to bed knowing you own the best factory production revolver in the world.

as well as knowing you paid at least double what any other production revolver is :bigsmyl2:

ole 5 hole group
01-13-2010, 06:07 PM
as well as knowing you paid at least double what any other production revolver is :bigsmyl2:

It's only money and you'll be making more of it, so just spend it on things that you want - notice I didn't say need? The FA 97 in 45Colt is one small revolver capable of sending 300 grain boolits down range at velocities well over 1,000fps, if that's your desire. I haven't found a boolit over 300 grains that will work in the 97 but you can have a mold made up that will pass muster if you really want something heavier. N110 powder (Vihtavuori) works well for me. This is the 1st FA I've owned and I'm impressed with the tolerances - just plain tight. I'm working loads up now and I fully expect to be able to shoot sub-2" at 50 yards. $1,550.00 price is a good price, as you'll be looking for a hell of a lot longer to find a 97 priced much cheaper - yes, they can be found for less but you better be Johnnie on the spot or you'll be SOL.

dubber123
01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Once you handle one, and actually look at the GUN, not the price tag, it quickly becomes apparent where the extra cost comes from.

stubshaft
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Once you handle one, and actually look at the GUN, not the price tag, it quickly becomes apparent where the extra cost comes from.

+1 - When you thumb back the hammer it feels as solid and precise as a bank vault. The analogy that I can think of is that both Lee and H&G cast boolits...

Edubya
01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
I think that you should look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75pii3aSFsM
The 97 Premier is not just another gun.
EW

snowwolfe
01-13-2010, 09:41 PM

You get what you pay for:)

Wished I owned a few more FA's 97. Truly in a class by themself. About 10-12 years ago (maybe more) the NRA Dope Bag field tested a FA 22 revolver. They reported it was the most accurate .22 handgun they ever tested including pistols used for Olympic competition.

Edubya
01-13-2010, 10:33 PM
The Freedom Arms 97 does have both cylinders, 45ACP and Colt. Since they are line bored FA would probably have to have the gun in order to do it,,, if they would an after-market.
There is a very good review, tells the positive and negative, @: http://sixguns.com/range/Fa45.htm
EW

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2010, 05:38 AM
never ceases to amaze me. The ruger guys think the bfrs are way over priced and the bfr guys think the fa guns are over priced. I have at least 6 differnt 5 guns in my safe that cost over or around 2 grand. I dont drink ive quit smoking i dont run around and dont care to travel. My guns are my only hobby. I chuckle when guys say your nuts for spending 2 grand on a gun and then will turn around and spend 40 grand on a truck or 20 on a harley or 10 on a snowmobile and think nothing of it. I only own two FA guns and dont feel stupid for buying them as a matter of fact i sometimes feel stupid for not bucking up and buying a couple more.

Bass Ackward
01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
The advantage of a FA is that short cylinder and forcing cone because that bullet hits it r e a l s l o w and is supported fully as it enters correctly.

You might miss out on some designs, but you can shoot soft, hard, light bullets or heavy, fast or slow velocities. It will make YOU look like you know what you are doing because you won't have really poor loads anymore. Not any more accurate than a Ruger with the best loads, but while he is out fussin with this lube or that design to find one, you have ten. You are out shootin or fishin or playing with your other Ruger if that is what floats your boat.

I have two line bores but only one is a FA because they didn't make 44s when I built it. If they had, would have saved me about $1300 even at today's prices.

Is it worth it? The best way to answer that is with more questions. Are YOU worth it? Do you deserve it? How you answer that to yourself will tell you which gun to buy.

Ed K
01-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I found it rather easy to justify the price of a FA - the only catch being you have to be patient but the right one will come around. After several Ruger blackhawks I wanted for something more - greater precision, fit/finish, etc. I really like the full-customs from the top names but WOW the price. Then I discovered what many others here already know: that a FA model 83 (closer to your blackhawk in size/weight than a model 97) can be had in 454 for little more than the price of a new Ruger plus some of the common extras like quality grips, base bin, upgraded sights, gunsmith action job - which do not make it even near the equal of a FA.

Yes is seems that this model specifically can sometimes be found near the $1000 mark. When you consider that a dolled-up Ruger will cost you $700-800 I consider the FA a real bargain.

Naphtali
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I own two FA 97s in 45 Colt. It is unfair to closely compare Ruger Blackhawks and FA 83s or 97s. Price strongly reflects quality. Having written that, I, too, had major headaches creating a heavy hunting load that chambered comfortably in the shorter 97 cylinder.

Problem solved.

I'm still tinkering with powder charge to shrink groups still more. The load is:

Winchester brass
CCI 350 primer
H110 - 21.5-22.5 grains (I am using 21.92 grains presently.)
Saeco (454) 300-grain SWCGC (Wheel weight air drops .452-inch bullets at 300 grains ± .2 grains. Meplat is .340 inch.

Muzzle velocity, depending upon which revolver and barrel length used, has not chronographed below 1150 fps ±20.

To load this bullet requires nothing special, no hoops to jump through. The RCBS 270-grain SAA SWK PB requires crimping over the leading band-crimp groove. I found it grouped poorly.

Mountain Molds could create a slightly superior WFN PB bullet that would chamber as uneventfully, but I need not go to the expense. You, having no mold, could create precisely what you want.

Hope this helps.