PDA

View Full Version : Question about Enfield No4 sights

BCall
12-04-2009, 01:10 AM
OK guys, I would like to know if there is a "drop-in" replacement, or one that could be used with minor modification, globe type front sight for the no4 Enfield I just started working with?

Just as a note, when I began casting, I was only interested in pistol boolits and 22 caliber and 35 caliber for my rifles. I never thought I would ever buy a milsurp rifle. How times change. After spending some time with a friend and his original nagant sniper rifle, my opinion began to change. This is my first milsurp rifle, and I can see many more coming. I am enjoying it. I am mainly accustomed to using scopes, and have very rarely used iron sights that weren't on a pistol(a number of my handguns even wear optics). My ability is sorely lacking in this area. But, I have shot quite a bit of practice air rifle in my basement using aperture rear and globe type front sights, and am at least somewhat comfortable with them. When all I have is a post or blade type front sight, I always feel as though most of the inaccuracy is my fault. As such, I have procured a windage adjustable rear sight for the rifle, but would like to mount a globe type front sight without making any modifications to the rifle and would allow me to return it back to original config if I want to. I anyone knows of an easy fit front sight, or have any ideas, I would appreciate the help. I would like to help remove some of my own inability from the accuracy development stage. I don't expect match accuracy, but I think I am to blame for a good part of it, and I think a globe sight with changeable front inserts would help. Thanks for any help, Billy

doubs43
12-04-2009, 01:57 AM
I could be wrong but I doubt that there's a globe sight that will fit between the ears and offer any kind of windage adjustment. The issue front sights came in various heights and windage was adjusted by moving the front sight left or right as needed.

BCall
12-04-2009, 02:28 AM
I was thinking more of just taking the ears off, or is that not a possibility? The rear sight I am getting has windage adjustment though, so I should be OK for adjustment. Thanks, Billy

curator
12-04-2009, 07:24 AM
You can modify the Lyman #17 aperature sight to fit the No.4 front sight dovetail slot. You will have to find or make a "spanner" to loosen the front sight tension screw first, but it can be done.

higgins
12-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I haven't put an aftermarket front sight on an Enfield, but I know the following from tinkering with them a few years. The front sight protector is easily removable by removing one screw. If your front sight has a screw-type retainer, a very servicable tool for it can be made from a cheap screwdriver. Pick out one that the shank will fit into the recess where the screw is. Cut the blade off and grind into the end of the shank a groove that will fit the sight screw head. If the rifle hasn't been sporterized beyond restoration and you think you might want to restore it to military configuration some day, be sure and save the sight protector and the screw and any other parts you remove.

BCall
12-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys. I took the ears off, but the front sight does not have a set screw to hold the sight. It looks like a friction fit as there is a cut in the middle of the sight's dovetail and no set screw. The rifle has not been sporterized, and I would like to be able to return it to original later on. I'll get a Lyman 17 and see what I can do to make it work. Appreciate the help, Billy