PDA

View Full Version : Which BACO Grease Groove Mould

HPT
12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Anyone out there who has a .45 cal Buffalo Arms Grease Groove bullet mould? What model and your accuracy results?

NickSS
12-04-2009, 06:58 AM
A friend has one that casts the "money bullet" From what I have seen it shoots extremely well in his Shiloh. He gave me 50 to try and they shot great in My C. Sharps rifle and they shot very well for me as well. After the holidays I plan to buy a mold for it.

HPT
12-04-2009, 06:04 PM
NickSS,

Do you know what weight & diameter of those "Money" bullets? Do they have the tapered first band?

August
12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Nick,

Does the bullet you're shooting taper? In other words, is it a bore rider?

I've been curious about the BA moulds.

Bullshop
12-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I have their improved Postell the one with the taperd nose. It allows a bit more powder in a 45/70 case. Its a good mold and a good design.
The first one I got from them would only drop .458" even though it says its a .459"
I let them know and they said send it in and if its right I pay shipping and if not they pay. They paid shipping and replaced the mold. They said two of those left their shop and I guess I was one of the lucky ones.
They were good about it though.
BIC/BS

montana_charlie
12-04-2009, 10:49 PM
A friend has one that casts the "money bullet"
He gave me 50 to try...and they shot very well for me as well.
Do you know what weight & diameter of those "Money" bullets? Do they have the tapered first band?
Does the bullet you're shooting taper? In other words, is it a bore rider?
The BACO moulds are well-made, and cast good quality bullets.

The GG-type .45 caliber Money bullet is offered in two lengths, so there are also two weights.
Both can be had 'tapered' or 'straight'.

The tapered style is not really a bore rider design. The first driving band is 'in between' the nose and shank diameters...enabling it to fit halfway up into the leade.
This allows a bit more room in the case for powder, and was done to give the 45/70 a little extra help when shooting at 1000 yards.

If you shoot a 45/90, or shoot at shorter distances, the 'taper' doesn't do much for you.

The main characteristic which gives a bullet the 'Money' name is the shape of the nose. Although Dan Theodore worked it up from scratch, it closely resembles the good old Metford bullet.

CM

NickSS
12-04-2009, 11:13 PM
My buddies mold is for a bullet that has a smaller front driving band and I seat it so that the bullet touches the rifling in my 1875 Sharps. It weighs a touch over 500 gr as I recall but have not shot any since I used up the sample my buddy gave me.

HPT
12-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I Just finished ordering the BACO 520 gr .459 Money Bullet mould with the tapered 1st band and a Redding 45-70 Competition seating die. Plan to try 20:1 first as this seems to be what alloy my gun prefers.

I've got milk carton, .060 LDPE & veg fibre wads to try and 4 types of primers (CCI BR2, WLRP,Fed 210 & Fed 215)

Only have Goex FFG powder, someday I hope to get some Swiss 1-1/2FG

cajun shooter
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Hpt, If you have the source for your Goex 2F then you might want to try the Goex Cartridge also.

HPT
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks Cajun,

I have tried Goex Express, but have never tried Goex Cartridge.

After ordering the BACO 520 gr .459 Money Bullet mould with the tapered 1st band I rechecked the BACO website and found the one that I was actually wanting in the first place. In their website it says that the BACO 545 gr Creedmoor is a copy of the mould Dave Gullo used to win the 2008 BPCR Nationals.

I tried some Paul Jones Creedmoor bullets from Sagebrush in the past that shot better than my Lyman Postels, so I changed my order to the BACO 545 gr Creedmoor as there seemed to be less risk to me than the Money style which I have never tried.

Best news was apparently both mould and competition die were in stock, so hopefully I'll be making Christmas Creedmoors soon.

:cbpour:

Gellot Wilde
12-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm using the 510gn .459 in a Pedersoli & a Ballard and it works really well...I'm very pleased with it indeed.

Great quality moulds indeed.

JD Yellowhammer
12-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks Cajun,
I tried some Paul Jones Creedmoor bullets from Sagebrush in the past that shot better than my Lyman Postels, so I changed my order to the BACO 545 gr Creedmoor as there seemed to be less risk to me than the Money style which I have never tried.
:cbpour:

I'm very interested in hearing how that turns out. The best bullet I've found for my Pedersoli .45-70 RB is the Paul Jones from Sagebrush. I can't afford to buy one of those moulds from Paul Jones so I've been looking for a cheaper substitute. So please let us know how it shoots. Thanks!
JD

montana_charlie
12-12-2009, 02:18 PM
The best bullet I've found for my Pedersoli .45-70 RB is the Paul Jones from Sagebrush. I can't afford to buy one of those moulds from Paul Jones so I've been looking for a cheaper substitute.
I have the PJ Creedmoor design in an aluminum mould from NEI. It's a standard offering, and was eighty bucks, as I recall.

I rarely see the PGT mentioned when the subject of choosing a bullet for a Pedersoli comes up.
It was developed expressly to fit the rather unique 'throat' of the Pedersoli Sharps.

I would imagine Pedersoli uses the same reamer on their current rolling block rifles...but that might not be true. In any case, the PGT is a good design, and falls sorta between the Postell and Creedmoor nose shapes.

CM

JD Yellowhammer
12-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks, CM! That beats the heck outta $240 for the PJC! I've had good luck with both the Postell and Creedmore so I bet the NEI would work great.
(Wonder how Dick Trenk is doing, healthwise? I'd sure like to ask him about the similarities between the throat of the Sharps and the RB.)

Edited to add: Is that bullet the .458-525 Postell Replica Ideal?

Never mind, I just found the Paul Jones.

Jon K
12-12-2009, 03:10 PM
JD,

BACO makes a copy of the PJ Creedmore, it is available with or with out a tapered 1st band. $124.95
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=25&catid=311&step=2

Jon

montana_charlie
12-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks, CM! That beats the heck outta $240 for the PJC! I've had good luck with both the Postell and Creedmore so I bet the NEI would work great.
(Wonder how Dick Trenk is doing, healthwise? I'd sure like to ask him about the similarities between the throat of the Sharps and the RB.).
I'm guessing you meant to say 'PGT' (Pedersoli/Gunn/Trenk)...not 'NEI'.

Last I saw something he wrote, Dick is in chemo...and doing pretty well, everything considered.
Seemed to be in very good spirits.
CM

HPT
12-15-2009, 07:43 PM
BACO Creedmoor 545 gr mould showed up today. Since it is 100 degrees to cold to make bullets outside on the porch (- 40 deg w/windchill today) I'll have to go to a friends place this weekend to make some bullets.

I don't know what kind of fouling control I can do short of taking the gun indoors between shots and wipe clean & DRY!

As an option I could try out with smokeless, but I don't know if that would give an indication of how it would shoot with black.

Anyways, here is the mould. No sample bullet

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z41/VonN_photos/IMG_2185.jpg

Red River Rick
12-16-2009, 01:13 AM
HPT:

I've been using this bullet in my Ped Rolling Block with great success: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=8051

The bore-rider design allows one to seat the bullet out much farther than most other designs. The extra case capacity will darn near give you 45-90 performance out of a 45-70 case.

Shoots like a dream.

Season's Greetings.
:drinks:

RRR

Don McDowell
12-16-2009, 01:18 PM
HPT , this bit of wisdom may or may not be worth what you paid for it, but....
I've found that most bullets from a 45-70 if they'll group with a smokeless load of 25 grs of 5744, will shoot just as well if not better with a charge of bp of one sort ornudder from 65-70 grs.
Something to chew on if the global warming doesn't return and you're anxious to try that bullet.

HPT
12-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Here's a 9 shot group from Today with the BACO 545 gr Creedmoor. On par with groups from same gun using Sagebrush PJ Creedmoors.

Load Data:
Remington Brass
CCI BR2 Primer
Newspaper wad under powder
70 gr Goex FFG
Veg Fibre wad over powder
Newspaper wad under bullet
Baco 545 Creedmoor 20:1
Homemade Lube
Blow Tube
-7C (19F)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z41/VonN_photos/IMG_2189.jpg

JD Yellowhammer
12-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Here's a 9 shot group from Today with the BACO 545 gr Creedmoor. On par with groups from same gun using Sagebrush PJ Creedmoors.

That's an impressive group, HPT. Nice shootin'! How many yards out? Was that the mould with the tapered first band?

My dilemma (and apologies to HPT if I'm hijacking your thread): I can only afford one mould for my .45-70, and it'll be a while before I can get another. The suggestions above are:

NEI version of PJ Creedmore, $80

BACO 545 gr PJ Creedmore, $124.95

PGT (Pedersoli/Gunn/Trenk) Single Cavity $165.00
(if this is a standard mould?) Double Cavity $215.00
Victory Molds is selling their business, so I'm a little leery of trying to buy from them right now).

DGW RL6307 Bore Rider Bullet Mould $76.50
(I have to pay tax since DGW is in TN)

I know that every gun has its own preferences for bullet design, weight, softness, etc. But I'm curious if anyone here has tried both the DGW mould and the NEI PJC? Any opinion as to which is best?

montana_charlie
12-21-2009, 01:58 PM
PGT (Pedersoli/Gunn/Trenk) Single Cavity $165.00
(if this is a standard mould?) Double Cavity $215.00
Victory Molds is selling their business, so I'm a little leery of trying to buy from them right now).
Don't waste your time wondering about a mould from Victory. The shop has been shut down for well over a year, now.

The design is public, so any mould maker can cut it without violating any 'ownership' rules, but Paul Jones is the only maker who offers it as a standard item. He calls it the 'Pedersoli Chamber' rather than the PGT.
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45_caliberpage2.htm

If you know a machinist who can make you a mould, the diagram for the PGT is here...
http://bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/pedersoli_gunn_trenk_bullet.htm

CM

JD Yellowhammer
12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks, CM. Unfortunately, Paul Jones is recovering from surgery so he isn't taking orders (which doesn't effect me since I ain't got $220 for a mould). But maybe by the time he's recovered...?

HPT
12-21-2009, 06:09 PM
JD,

The group was 100 yds. I can't do any better yet with any gun. Maybe after some shooting instructions from someone in the know.

The first band is not tapered. I had tried some bullets from a Steve Brooks mould one time that had a tapered 1st band but I didn't notice a difference in accuracy.

I think with the $125 BACO mould or a custom mould you are guaranteed a round bullet that is the size you asked for. With a Lyman mould I think you have a 50% chance of getting a good one. My Lyman Postel mould would not close (had to be reworked) and the bullet is not 100% round (nose dia .446-.450 depending on where you measure). It shoots about a 1/2" larger group than the one shown

I have not tried any others