PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer boolit feeder

blikseme300
12-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Here is my first new thread on this distinguished forum.

OK, now I will get informal.:bigsmyl2:

Non-casting people always ask me if it is cheaper to cast than to buy. I ask in return if it is cheaper to bake a cake yourself or to buy one at *mart! They don't get that there is satisfaction in doing it yourself, from scratch.

This weekend I will be starting on a project to make my own boolit feeder for my Star sizers. (Pics to follow soon.)

So far I have ideas, a mini mill and aluminum stock from McMaster-Carr.

On utube there are a few vids showing the genuine Star feeder and also some DIY feeders. My pattern will be something in between. I will first do a version similar to the Star and a second which will be fed by a boolit collater. The calibers I will be focusing on is 9mmP, .40S&W and .45ACP.

I don't have a Star version to use but have a pretty good idea from watching the videos and also from viewing the Star manual drawings. Any ideas and/or comments from members of this forum are very welcome.

Bliksem

http://bliksemseplek.com/boolits.html

ANeat
12-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Looking forward to this, I may have to join in on this project,,,,, Nice site there Bliksem

Springfield
12-03-2009, 11:45 PM
I could use a bullet collator if you manage to make one at a reasonable cost. I also have 2 Star bullet feeders if you need any pics or dimensions. mwwhyte1 AT verizon.net

thebigmac
12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
GUYS, I HAVE ON MY WORKBENCH, AT THE PRESENT TIME, THREE BULLET FEEDERS I MADE BEFORE I LEFT THE NAVY..(a long time ago)ALL THREE WORK QUITE WELL. MADE FOR .38'S, BUT EASILY MADE INTO OTHER SIZES... GETTING READY TO POST THEM FOR SALE. MADE FROM A COPY OF AN ORIGIONAL.. MAYBE 'BLIKSEME' COULD OFFER A CHEAP PRICE FOR ME TO SET ON THEM...

blikseme300
12-04-2009, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the interest and offers of assistance already. Thebigmac, your offer is appreciated, but I will let some others take you up on your for sale offers. Your asking price is very reasonable.

So far my design will require only 2 tube sizes for the boolits. These are 36" aluminum tube. The 40 & 45's will use the same tube and the 9mm & 38/357 will use the other. I am not yet sure if I will get away with 2 feeder sliders or not. Easily changing out the tubes and sliders for a caliber change is an important consideration and will be part of the design.

Springfield, as far as the boolit collator is concerned, I will first be needing to finish my CNC mini router project. The most challenging part to make is the collating disk. To cut boolit profiles around the rim repeatedly is not something I would want to do manually. I may just shop this job out to a local gentleman who does this kind of thing.

Bliksem

Depdog
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
wish I had some of your tools. But that would just lead to another hobby inside a hoppy. Funny how this stuff snowballs.

First Reloading, then hey...cast your own pistol bullets. Wait that 20 lb Lee pot is not big enough for smelting, so off to the metal supply place and raiding friends garages.

Oh it never ends!!!

Great site and looking forward to your build.

Glenn