PDA

View Full Version : Custom-Made Steel Targets

BruceB
12-03-2009, 04:06 PM
At the 2009 Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, I carried out a bit of an experiment.

I was given two pieces of 3/8"-thick AR500 steel plate, a bit larger than one square foot each. I hung one at 50 yards and the other at 100, and left them there for the weekend. They were thoroughly exercised for the entire time, including some rounds from my .404 and .416 Rigby, plus whatever else anyone cared to fire at them.

These 3/8" plates show no effect whatever from the hundreds of impacts; this stuff is HARD!

I now have discovered that a youngish feller who recently returned to work at our mine has a complete metal-fabricating shop at home, including a computerized 5'x10' cutting table....he can program virtually any design and his outfit will cut it automatically.

Since I've wanted a steel IPSC target for some time, I asked him about it. An old-style IPSC silhouette (the type with the politically-incorrect "head") in full size at 18"x30" and cut from 3/8" AR500, will cost me about $150. For what amounts to a life-time target, and one that's capable of shrugging off cast-bullet rifle rounds as well as handgun loads, it strikes me as a bargain. This target will have two tubes welded to the back to slip over re-bar "legs" which are driven into into the ground.

The steel is the main cost item, and he can use less-expensive types if desired. However, anything we can dream up can be built by this gent. Spinners, pendulums, plate racks, animal silhouettes...you name it. Obviously, targets smaller than my IPSC type will cost a good bit less.

The IPSC silhouette will make a fine long-range rifle target for NCBS 2010, and that would be a good demo for the target as well. Note that if anyone wants a target of any type fabricated before late May, it can be picked up here without shipping costs.

There's no benefit whatever for me in all this.....no cuts or commissions of any sort. However, I'm quite willing to be the middleman here if anyone so desires.

ironcowboy
12-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I'd love to get 5 of the sized targets they use in the cowboy action shooting! (You know, the ones that look like short cowboys. :)) Any idea what that would cost?

Nrut
12-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Hello Bruce,
Do you have any idea how 3/8" AR500 will stand up to jacket rifle bullets at 100 yds?
I need to build gong target for my neighbor who is just getting onto hunting with his .303
Thanks

geargnasher
12-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Bruce, I do like your idea, and I would rather buy from someone associated with Castboolits than one of the more commercial outfits.

One thing to consider about steel target construction while you're brainstorming, 500 brinnel steel isn't 500 anymore after you weld on it. It is a certain composition but is heat-treated to achieve that hardness. It is softened around weld areas due to the tempering of the weld heat and this can cause failure points, especially on spinner-type targets. The best thing to to is design the target supports out of hardened steel and plan on drilling the target plates and supports to be joined with grade 8 bolts. For suspended targets, drill hole(s) in the top and hang them with hardened bolts and high-test transport chain (on the back side). This will leave a slight "cant" forward at the top and help deflect spatter downward.

Just a thought,

Gear

crabo
12-04-2009, 01:53 AM
I found out there is an amored car company here in town. I am going by next week to see what kind of drop offs I can pick up from them.

I wonder how much a plasma will affect the edges of the targets?

scrapcan
12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
One thing we noticed when a friend cut ar500 plate to use for high powered rifle use was some calibers were better suited to poke holes right thru it than others. It looked like you use a paper hole punch. 223 ( 50 to 75 yrds), 22-250 (100 yds +), 270 (100 yds +) punched holes easily. 30-06, 300 winmag, 308 did not (all at 100 yrds). all shots were with factory ammunition.

We also found the above statement about welds on spinners, knockdown plate racks, and non drop static targets is right on. You can blow the targets apart right next to the welds. ust so you know the maker of the targets was a certified welder with certs for hardened materials. bolt them together. also if you tilt them just a bit forward, even knock downs, then you have far less bounce backs.

I would like to see a knockdown target suitable for high power rifle use that has a kill zone to trip the knock down like airgun targets for field target competition.

For that matter he may want to try to come up with designs for airgun/22lr knockdown targets. Here is a link to field target manufacturer

http://www.fieldtargets.com/