PDA

View Full Version : 32 Special Win Does The Job

StarMetal
12-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I shot me a nice doe with my 1947 Model 94 Winchester in 32 Special. This is the one I posted a good while back that has the Paul Jaeger quick release side mount. I shot her at 100 yards or a tad over off hand. Her right side was facing me at an angle and I put the bullet just a tad too far behind the shoulder. It took out part of the lungs, totally wrecked the liver, and entered/existed her left ham. Her insides were a mess. The bullet did clip a rib on entrance. She went about 25 yards and dropped.

The load was a Lee 175 8mm sized to fit the 32 Special's groove and was loaded over 4895 powder. Ironically for me, the speed demon, the muzzle velocity on this was 1795 fps. So figure a much lower impact velocity. I was astonished at the amount of internal damage, but not much bloodshot meat.

Sorry no pics, it was late, raining very hard, and I was tired.

Joe

45&30-30
12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Impressive performance StarMetal. I took a look at the Lee page for your bullet. Is this the one?
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee323/reo275/31af8820.gif

If you don't mind, what alloy were you using? Did you do anything to the nose or is it the shape of the one in the picture?

Congratulations.

1874Sharps
12-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Starmetal,

Wahoo and congratulations on your success! I am curious about the hardness of the alloy of your boolit and the size of the wound channel it made. I like the rifle you used, too.

StarMetal
12-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Impressive performance StarMetal. I took a look at the Lee page for your bullet. Is this the one?
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee323/reo275/31af8820.gif

If you don't mind, what alloy were you using? Did you do anything to the nose or is it the shape of the one in the picture?

Congratulations.

Yes that's the exact bullet. I used the 50/50 alloy which is ww/lead. By the way that bullet has a pretty rounded nose on it and I feel safe to use in tubular magzines, especially with my lower then factory ammo. Many of the leveraction factory loads have round noses. My groove was dead on at .321 and I sized them to .323. I'm sure that it's been a long time since the old rifle had taken any deer as I bought it used and haven't had it too many years. I just decided to take it this year instead of the many other rifles you all have heard me talking about.

Joe

GrizzLeeBear
12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Way to go Joe!

I use that boolit sized .323 with excellent accuracy in my Yugo 24/47. Tried one sized .321 in my 1936 Marlin 32 special, but its a no-go. My Marlin is one of the skinny ones (.319 bore .313 grooves) and the .315 nose on my mold makes chambering difficult. But I'm now waiting on the NOE 326 185 gr. group buy and have hopes that its .313 nose will work nicely in the 32 spl and the 8mm.

StarMetal
12-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Way to go Joe!

I use that boolit sized .323 with excellent accuracy in my Yugo 24/47. Tried one sized .321 in my 1936 Marlin 32 special, but its a no-go. My Marlin is one of the skinny ones (.319 bore .313 grooves) and the .315 nose on my mold makes chambering difficult. But I'm now waiting on the NOE 326 185 gr. group buy and have hopes that its .313 nose will work nicely in the 32 spl and the 8mm.

Grizz,

I bought that mold because I had bought an unissued Yugo 48B. It's now used. I size .325 for that one and boy does it shoot that Lee bullet fantastic. I told myself I'd try that bullet in my 32 Special before forking out for the flatnose RCBS one. Glad I did, saved money and the Lee shoots very well.

Joe

357maximum
12-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Joe you know that if there are no pics it didn't happen:Fire::mrgreen:

Good job . I am slowly learning how much fun and kill is locked inside them slower boolits myself........but I still like to go fast once in awhile to prove that I still can.

Was the boolit wound all soapy?:Fire:[smilie=1:

StarMetal
12-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Joe you know that if there are no pics it didn't happen:Fire::mrgreen:

Good job . I am slowly learning how much fun and kill is locked inside them slower boolits myself........but I still like to go fast once in awhile to prove that I still can.

Was the boolit wound all soapy?:Fire:[smilie=1:

Mike,

You made me laugh with the soap question. Those bullets were lubed with something else before I finalized my soap lube. Shucks I can't remember what it was. I thought about speeding the load up, but it shot so good where it was I left it alone. I was really pessimistic about two things. One it was slow and the Lee round nose isn't a really blunt one....so I figured the bullet would have punched through the deer like a FMJ and questioned it's slowness. Not anymore!!! That 32 is a deer killer for sure.

Joe

swheeler
12-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Way to go Joe!

45&30-30
12-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Thank you StarMetal, very interesting. More I learn of cast it seems their is a relationship between velocity, alloy and bullet design for killing power. No expert but from what I am seeing so far in our hunting forum is one or two cast bullet factors can compensate for the other(s). I.E. high velocity, right alloy, and no meplat = killing bullet. or low velocity, large meplat and right alloy = killing bullet.

EMC45
12-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Nice! Alas no deer for Evan this year :violin:

corvette8n
12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I had that mold but I sold it thinking the bullets would be to pointy for .32ws, I did get a RD .323 mold though, didn't cast any yet.

303Guy
12-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Nice going StarMetal.[smilie=w:

Pity about the pics but like you say, it was late and .... THAT'S STILL NO EXCUSE!!!:mrgreen:

Some of my mates have cell phones that can take pics .... !? Anyway, it's at times like that that these things would actually be handy!

What is real interesting is that a fairly 'light' boolit and at quite mild velocity does so much damage!

I finalized my soap lube.How well does it work? could it be useful for lubing patched boolits?

StarMetal
12-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice going StarMetal.[smilie=w:

Pity about the pics but like you say, it was late and .... THAT'S STILL NO EXCUSE!!!:mrgreen:

Some of my mates have cell phones that can take pics .... !? Anyway, it's at times like that that these things would actually be handy!

What is real interesting is that a fairly 'light' boolit and at quite mild velocity does so much damage!

How well does it work? could it be useful for lubing patched boolits?

303guy,

It hit a rib going in and I believe that started it on it's path of destruction. Had it been a buck I probably would have taken a pic of it. Thanks for the kind words.

Here are some pics of the rifle:
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/32SpclLeft.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/32SpclRight.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/32SpclMount.jpg
Joe

Blammer
12-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Nice rifle!

Good shooting on the deer too!

Uncle R.
12-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Oh Joe - That is SO cool!
I'm embarrased to admit that I recently posted extensively on how scopes don't look right on lever rifles. Dang! THAT scope and THAT mount on THAT rifle -
Well, VERY cool! I like 'em!
<GRIN>
I assume they're all period stuff. It's a little before my heyday though - what kind of (QD?) mount is that? And what kind of scope?
I've been lusting after a nice .32 WS for quite a while now but they're scarce as hen's teeth around here, especially nice ones. For some reason the few I run across always seem to be in poor condition. Ah, well - there's joy in the quest too. Perhaps some day...
Uncle R.

StarMetal
12-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Oh Joe - That is SO cool!
I'm embarrased to admit that I recently posted extensively on how scopes don't look right on lever rifles. Dang! THAT scope and THAT mount on THAT rifle -
Well, VERY cool! I like 'em!
<GRIN>
I assume they're all period stuff. It's a little before my heyday though - what kind of (QD?) mount is that? And what kind of scope?
I've been lusting after a nice .32 WS for quite a while now but they're scarce as hen's teeth around here, especially nice ones. For some reason the few I run across always seem to be in poor condition. Ah, well - there's joy in the quest too. Perhaps some day...
Uncle R.

It's a Paul Jaeger quick release side mount. He was a pretty famous gunsmith way back. You can still use the iron sights too. The plate on the receiver has the male dove tail and the rings, or top portion, have the female dove tail. You first swing the lever to release the lock tension, then push that button while holding it in and slide the scope off the mount. It is a period rifle, scope, and mount..well caliber too. The scope is a steel 1.5 Weaver with very fine hairs and still clear as a bell. The rifle came out of deer country up in PA and was definately set up for woods deer hunting. I got it as is including the sling.

Joe

Uncle R.
12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
It's a Paul Jaeger quick release side mount. He was a pretty famous gunsmith way back. You can still use the iron sights too. The plate on the receiver has the male dove tail and the rings, or top portion, have the female dove tail. You first swing the lever to release the lock tension, then push that button while holding it in and slide the scope off the mount. It is a period rifle, scope, and mount..well caliber too. The scope is a steel 1.5 Weaver with very fine hairs and still clear as a bell. The rifle came out of deer country up in PA and was definately set up for woods deer hunting. I got it as is including the sling.

Joe

When I see something like that I always wonder about the fellow that originally owned it - originally put it all together. It's obviously a serious woods hunting rifle. Even when that set-up was brand new all "well informed" hunters knew that the .32 WS was obsolete. Even more interesting, that mount and scope probably cost nearly as much as the rifle, and would have been pretty unusual in the PA woods in those days. Here was a guy who knew what he wanted, knew what mattered to HIM. When I wonder who owned that rifle, who put it all together, who made meat with it - I imagine a grizzled, experienced woods runner. Maybe even a handloader and caster - a guy who may have been short on magazine theory but was long on real-world experience. Better still, every time you make meat with that Winchester you reconnect with the spirit of that former owner.
<
It's a great rifle - and I confess that I'm a little envious.
<GRIN>
Uncle R.