PDA

View Full Version : Remington 798?

2ndAmendmentNut
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Looking for advice and opinions on the above rifle in 308 with a synthetic stock.

Is it a true 98 controlled freed action? Or is it one of those controlled/pushed type actions?

StarMetal
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Looking for advice and opinions on the above rifle in 308 with a synthetic stock.

Is it a true 98 controlled freed action? Or is it one of those controlled/pushed type actions?

No it's a true Mauser. I remember a few people talking about it saying the metal was good, but they had the world worse stocks on them. If I remember correctly Rem picked up the Charles Daley line. I can't remember if those were Mark X's..Yugoslav Mausers I think.

Joe

2ndAmendmentNut
12-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I remember a few people talking about it saying the metal was good, but they had the world worse stocks on them.Joe

Worst quality, or worst style?

NHlever
12-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I've handled, but not shot these guns. My impression is that while they are true Mausers, their bolt tolerances in the receiver, etc. are a little loose, and that makes for rough feeling actions. I think they would be good working guns, but personally I keep my eye open for good used Remingtons, Rugers, and sometimes Winchesters. I have reworked a bunch of Mauser actions over the years, and good military, old Sears (FN) guns, FN's, etc are usually much smoother.

Mk42gunner
12-05-2009, 11:32 AM
No it's a true Mauser. I remember a few people talking about it saying the metal was good, but they had the world worse stocks on them. If I remember correctly Rem picked up the Charles Daley line. I can't remember if those were Mark X's..Yugoslav Mausers I think.

Joe

Joe, I believe they were the Mark X's; I know the Interarms Mini-Mauser becaome the Charles Daly, (which I have), then the Remington 799.

Robert

Johnch
12-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Worst quality, or worst style?
The stock design ....was the problem IMO

Mark X's, Charles Daley , Yugoslav Mausers ,Rem 798
All the same barreled action

Remington just imported the barreled actions and put their *** laminated stocks on them

I had one in 30-06 that I planed on rebarreling to 35 Wellen
But $$ problems on my end got me to sell it

It shot fine , but the stock felt clubish and heavy to me :takinWiz:

John

whopist
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I have had my Rem 799 short action, 7.62x39 for a year now. The bolt (originally clumsy) is now smooth.

The trigger (originally creepy and hard) is adjustable. It's now crisp and perfect for me.

Shoots good too! Mostly reload my own lead bullets.

Love it

dualsport
12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I had a MiniMauser back in the 80s in .223. It was small, light, and very well made. It was THE most accurate rifle I've owned, holding under 3/8" for five shots all day with Win. factory HPs. I was a dope for selling it. It had a flush magazine with removable floorplate. Are they still like that, it seems I recall seeing a detachable mag that sticks out on the new ones.?

TNsailorman
12-05-2009, 05:11 PM
I too have one of the early .223 min-mausers and like the above one, this one will shoot 1/2" or less without much trouble. It had a stock that was more of a club than a rifle stock but it was extrememly well bedded, so I re-worked it myself to look like one of the old English African elephant rifles. With its shortened forend and pared down profile, it weighs about 5 3/4 lbs with scope(a Burris 3-12 power small target with adjustable objective lense). I love it. My grandaughter gets it when she is 18. The real kicker is that it is one of the very early Mark X's that was made and so marked in Manchester, England. I was told that BSA made these but BSA was located in Birmingham, not Manchester. More than likely, Parker-Hale made it. It has the British Crown in a circle on the action. James

Herb in Pa
12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I've got the crappy Remington version in 7.62 x 39 and this is the best I can get out of it so far at 50 yards with the RCBS 130 Spire points.......10 shot groups. The trigger was replaced and I spent some time in front of the TV cycling the bolt to smooth things up a bit. It is what it is and I'm pleased, I did send a Ruger in the same caliber down the road.

TNsailorman
12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I've got the crappy Remington version in 7.62 x 39 and this is the best I can get out of it so far at 50 yards with the RCBS 130 Spire points.......10 shot groups. The trigger was replaced and I spent some time in front of the TV cycling the bolt to smooth things up a bit. It is what it is and I'm pleased, I did send a Ruger in the same caliber down the road.

Don't you just hate it when a rifle won't shoot consistant. I feel your pain. James

whopist
12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
"I've got the crappy Remington version in 7.62 x 39 and this is the best I can get out of it so far at 50 yards with the RCBS 130 Spire points.......10 shot groups. The trigger was replaced and I spent some time in front of the TV cycling the bolt to smooth things up a bit. It is what it is and I'm pleased, I did send a Ruger in the same caliber down the road."

Herb in Pa, have you measured your bore diameter? Just wondering what yours is.

My year old Rem 798, 7.62x39 measures .313" dia.

Herb in Pa
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
"I've got the crappy Remington version in 7.62 x 39 and this is the best I can get out of it so far at 50 yards with the RCBS 130 Spire points.......10 shot groups. The trigger was replaced and I spent some time in front of the TV cycling the bolt to smooth things up a bit. It is what it is and I'm pleased, I did send a Ruger in the same caliber down the road."

Herb in Pa, have you measured your bore diameter? Just wondering what yours is.

My year old Rem 798, 7.62x39 measures .313" dia.

Mine's about .312" and I run the boolits thru a .313" sizer to seat the gas checks and lube them, I have shot some 130 grain jacketed slugs but needed an extremely heavy dose of WC846 to obtain any accuracy. My cast load consists of Lapua brass, 13.0 gr of SR4759, Winchester WLP primer and an OAL of 2.314"