PDA

View Full Version : Brno VZ24 ID question

dualsport
12-03-2009, 01:30 AM
I have a 8mm Brno VZ24. Shot it today at the range. What I'm wondering about is the complete lack of markings on the front receiver ring. No crest, date, totally blank. It doesn't look ground off at all. The only markings are on the left side of the receiver, a serial number, factory name and model VZ24. It's a nice gun, but I was wondering if this is typical? Thanks. ds

Frank46
12-03-2009, 01:40 AM
you are going to find that there were various rebuilding operations carried out on these rifles years ago. In some instances it was customary to remove the crest on the receiver ring. My vz24 only carries the date on the top of the receiver ring. I have seen the ones with the cezch lion and dated receiver rings and others which had Bruno or some logo on the ring. It is one of the better actions on which to build a custom rifle on. Frank

Buckshot
12-03-2009, 05:25 AM
.............At some point, and for some reason the crests were buffed off. Usually not completely.

http://www.fototime.com/8DED0E73D2BBD85/standard.jpg

Here's mine, and just below the top you can still see a bit of the Lion, but it has otherwise been buffed off, NOT ground off.

...........Buckshot

Ricochet
12-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Romanian ones have usually had the crest removed, too.

dualsport
12-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I don't have a freak. Haven't worked with this one much, I usually use my Turk with a 7' barrel and Lyman receiver sight for cast bullets, but I have shot it with the nastiest milsurp ammo ever, the 1940's Turkish ball sold by Sportsman's Guide a few years ago. I got about 3,000 rounds for around $10, ok, well it was unbelievably cheap. Most have cracked necks BEFORE they're fired, I shoot 'em anyway, no problems so far, holding about 5" at 100 yds in the vz24 w/issue sight. This stuff takes 'dirty' to a new level, but I never could resist a bargain. As my Brno has no date on it, can someone tell me the aproximate date range they were made? Thanks again.