PDA

View Full Version : S&W "pinned" barrel.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-02-2009, 05:27 PM
What is meant by the term “pinned barrel“? I have been looking at S&W 25s in 45colt and this term keeps coming up. Are there any pros or cons to a “pinned” barrel?

StarMetal
12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
The old models had a barrel screw into the frame and then it was pinned to insure it didn't come loose. You can easily see the pin right above the barrel position it's about 1/16 diameter or so.

Joe

2ndAmendmentNut
12-02-2009, 05:38 PM
So the pin is a good thing, right?

Thanks for the fast reply Joe.

StarMetal
12-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Well there seems to be a following for older model firearms with gun nuts.

The new model Smiths have some new fangled crush thread fit up and some have shrouds with barrel nuts you can't really see. The old pin barrels made it much easier to rebarrel you Smith for sure.

So yeah, I think the pin barrel models are desirable.

Joe

376Steyr
12-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Check out "Smith-Wessonforum.com" for more than you probably want to know about pinned vs. non-pinned barrels. But the short answer is yes, a pinned barrel is considered to be a good thing, but don't worry if the model you want doesn't have it, as the pin was phased out around 1980.

Char-Gar
12-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Starmetal/Joe is spot on with his comments about the pin.

GLL
12-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Here is my 4" Model 27-2 that illustrates the "pinned barrel" pretty well.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/4A5244259BD0235/orig.jpg

freedom475
12-04-2009, 03:42 AM
The new model Smiths have some new fangled crush thread fit up and some have shrouds with barrel nuts you can't really see. The old pin barrels made it much easier to rebarrel you Smith for sure.

Joe

Yeah and they now have a bunch of recalls cause the barrels are blowing off:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:... And the new ones have a sleeved barrel:confused:...what happend to American Craftmanship and pride??:violin:

freedom475
12-04-2009, 03:45 AM
And it's recessed!!! Very NICE!:drinks::Fire:

Here is my 4" Model 27-2 that illustrates the "pinned barrel" pretty well.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/4A5244259BD0235/orig.jpg

StarMetal
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Yeah and they now have a bunch of recalls cause the barrels are blowing off:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:... And the new ones have a sleeved barrel:confused:...what happend to American Craftmanship and pride??:violin:

Probably a faster and cheaper barreling method. Plus it's a tad harder for gunsmith's, especially home smiths, to rebarrel.

Joe

S.R.Custom
12-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Probably a faster and cheaper barreling method. Plus it's a tad harder for gunsmith's, especially home smiths, to rebarrel...

Actually, they're much easier. What makes the sleeved barrels nice is the fact that you don't have to spend half a day on the lathe to get just enough thread and shoulder to permit the rib and sights to line up at the correct torque. The sleeve with the sights on it is notch mated to the frame, so all you have to do is torque the new barrel down, run a quick file across the throat for cylinder clearance, and you're done. It only takes a few minutes.

StarMetal
12-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Actually, they're much easier. What makes the sleeved barrels nice is the fact that you don't have to spend half a day on the lathe to get just enough thread and shoulder to permit the rib and sights to line up at the correct torque. The sleeve with the sights on it is notch mated to the frame, so all you have to do is torque the new barrel down, run a quick file across the throat for cylinder clearance, and you're done. It only takes a few minutes.

I was speaking of the first change when they did away with the standard screw in pinned model. The sleeve and is entirely different. The other is more difficult for one the pinned type barrel threads won't screw into it as easily.

Joe