PDA

View Full Version : I guess a manual is equipment.

madsenshooter
12-02-2009, 05:00 PM
You all wouldn't believe what a fellow sent me in return for my sending him a model 92 Krag sight to complete the "as made" state of his rifle, and a few cast boolits. An original copy of Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading! It is signed inside, June 29,1942. Hugh McKelroy, Warren, Penna-Keep Shooting-Phil Sharpe. I am in awe!

1hole
12-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I had to pay for my copy, got it off ebay a few years back for $15, including shipping. Only a true reloading nut would be interested.

The methods and reloading data are largely obselete but the history lesson on how things develped in the early days make for some fantastic reading!

madsenshooter
12-02-2009, 05:20 PM
What? You mean there are reloading nuts on this forum? I am simply aghast! Yes it should make some interesting reading, but I think I might be a tad allergic to the break down by products of the old acid paper, sniffle. Looks like a good place to stash my #1 edition of Guns Magazine.

Uncle R.
12-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Madsenshooter:
Those old books are potentially dangerous - when the acid leaches out of the paper it can cause nitration and flash fires may result. For safety's sake you should carefully package that book and send it to me. I'm willing to deal with the hazard such an old book poses.
:kidding:
Uncle R.

madsenshooter
12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I tried to tell them that library fire wasn't my fault! Do you mind if I quote your expert testimony?

Uncle R.
12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh sure - no problem. Let me furnish my expert credentials for you too. I'm sure they're around here somewhere. I'll just have a quick look around - they must be here...
<
Um - this might take awhile.
<
:bigsmyl2:
Uncle R.

358wcf
12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Gents- I don't think it at all unusual to have THREE COPIES of Phil Sharpe's famous compendium of reloading knowledge on hand- doesn't every serious reloading nut/ballistician study this text endlessly?
You have to marvel at all the knowlege contained in these large volumes. Add that to Naramore's Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition, and a healthy stock of vintage Lyman's manuals, with some Speer, Hornady,RCBS, Sierra manuals, plus those fine handout manuals from the powder manufacturers-

You can't have enough information or knowledge in this business!!!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Shiloh
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I had to pay for my copy, got it off ebay a few years back for $15, including shipping. Only a true reloading nut would be interested.

The methods and reloading data are largely obselete but the history lesson on how things develped in the early days make for some fantastic reading!

Yup That's us. I acquired my from my deceased father in law, via his left over shooting supplies.

There is some wonderful info in it. The thorough explanation of how smokeless powder is made from start to finish is very interesting.

Many of the powders he used are discontinued. As stated above, much of the data is obsolete, and the reloading equipment massive and primitive. But it worked and paved the way for the stuff we have now.

AN excellent read!!

Shiloh

jhrosier
12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
An excellent book, indeed!
I have an earlier and later edition of same.
The later edition has a couple of extra chapters.
I check with my local used bood seller for copies and pass them on to friends if the price is not too high.

I have found copies of most of the interesting gun books printed before the '60s at the used book seller and added many to my library. Ebay used to be a good source for older books but the prices have gone way out of sight recently.

Jack

blikseme300
12-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Gents- I don't think it at all unusual to have THREE COPIES of Phil Sharpe's famous compendium of reloading knowledge on hand- doesn't every serious reloading nut/ballistician study this text endlessly?
You have to marvel at all the knowlege contained in these large volumes. Add that to Naramore's Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition, and a healthy stock of vintage Lyman's manuals, with some Speer, Hornady,RCBS, Sierra manuals, plus those fine handout manuals from the powder manufacturers-

You can't have enough information or knowledge in this business!!!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Ooh, you also collect those "dirty books".;-):kidding:

There is such a fine dividing line between a enjoying hobby, being a nut or being obsessed.:lovebooli

I have a shelf full of reloading books and reference these often. It no longer ceases to amaze me at how many new reloaders only are concerned about all the equipment needed but don't include at least one good book.:veryconfu

Bliksem

runfiverun
12-04-2009, 12:32 AM
they got the net.
no books or extra work needed just ask someone who's done it.
they'll hold your hand and give you a ribbon for participating too.

alamogunr
12-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Before coming upon this thread I thought that I might be strange since I like books and have way too many. Of the older handloading books that are the subject of this thread, I have two copies of Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading, Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition by Earle Naramore, Handloading Ammunition by J.R. Mattern and Modern Handloading by George Nonte. Of course I have several manuals too, but these old books are very interesting. While the equipment has changed since they were written, one thing stands out: The principles that should be followed have not changed all that much. When they have changed, it is usually due to better equipment and components.

I also just took a look at one of the book search sites. I'm glad that I acquired these books when I did. The prices are quite a bit higher than when I got mine. One of my winter projects is to catalog all my books. If I don't, they might just be thrown out when I'm gone since the family doesn't know the significance or value of most of them. The books just mentioned and my Keith books and others that are no longer in print would represent a worthwhile addition to the inheritance for the sons.

John
W.TN