PDA

View Full Version : Gas port fouling on Mini 14

G- Unit
12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm firing a ruger mini 14,i haven't started casting for it because i am worried about fouling the gas port with lead or lube. Should that be a concern since the gas block is set at the factory.

45 2.1
12-02-2009, 12:23 PM
That can be taken off and cleaned.......... It can also be modified so that accuracy is improved also.

m.chalmers
12-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm firing a ruger mini 14,i haven't started casting for it because i am worried about fouling the gas port with lead or lube. Should that be a concern since the gas block is set at the factory.

mini 14 ie: 180 or 181 series or the ranch rifle. The new style ranch rifles like cast better then the old 180, 181 series. Both styles have a self cleaning gas cylinder.

Cast some pills and see what boolit your rifle likes.

Good luck!
:lovebooli

m.chalmers
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Sh*t your in lower slower :)

yondering
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Should that be a concern since the gas block is set at the factory.

Not sure what you mean about the gas block being "set at the factory", but you can usually improve accuracy by loosening up the gas block screws then re-torquing them all gradually in a crosswise pattern. You don't need a torque wrench, just do it by hand. Often they are installed unevenly at the factory.

Shiloh
12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Accuracy Systems http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

Makes an adjustable gas block.

I gave up on Mini's years ago. Accuracy issues.

Shiloh

Snapping Twig
12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
The gas tube is so large that it won't make a difference.

I've replaced mine with an aftermarket smaller tube to reduce the distance the empties eject and it still shoots lead just fine.

Get a feeler gage and retorque the gas block evenly and accuracy will be amazing.

budman46
12-03-2009, 09:09 AM
g- unit,

30 years ago, i shot thousands of lyman's 225415, 50 gr gas check design using 18.5 gr of rx-7 in my mini-14 with no maintenance at all...no malfunctions; quite a torture test, but the truth of the matter is, i was just lazy. the gun never even hiccuped...tough design!

accuracy was "minute of gallon milk jug" @100yds with ejected cases landing 3'-4' away. the worst thing about the process was sizing those itty-bitty bullets without pinching my fingers. go cast!

budman

JIMinPHX
12-03-2009, 07:20 PM
You can also buy larger gas bushings that allow the gun to function properly with reduced power loads.

Shiloh
12-03-2009, 09:20 PM
The gas tube is so large that it won't make a difference.

I've replaced mine with an aftermarket smaller tube to reduce the distance the empties eject and it still shoots lead just fine.

Get a feeler gage and re-torque the gas block evenly and accuracy will be amazing.

Feeler gauge and careful torquing can't hurt, but amazing accuracy??

Shiloh

rayzer
12-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know how many inch lbs. the bolts on the gasblock are supposed to be torqued to? I have never heard of this fix. the best my ranch rifle will do is 4" at 100yrds off of sandbags. i think that is pathetic.

MtGun44
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
4" is about typical for the Mini14 in my somewhat limited experience.
I have heard that there is some mod to the gas block, I think to avoid
the oprod hitting it, but maybe something else, that is supposed to help
the pretty poor accy.

Bill