PDA

View Full Version : Cramer #5 mould $5

Daddyfixit
12-02-2009, 02:37 AM
I scored a mould with handles at a yard sale for $5! It was a little rusty but cleaned up nicely with a bead blaster. All I can find on it is a stamp that says Cramer no5. I cast a few and they look like 45ACP 230gr RNBB. I've read some people don't like the bevel base boolits? They look nice and drop out easy. I have a RCBS luber. Will that work OK? I have some Bullseye powder...any fav loads?:lovebooli

BoolitBill
12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
5 grains of Bullseye always worked for me in .45 ACP, sized to .452

Daddyfixit
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I really bought these just to get the handles, I thought the mould was trash!
I can't seem to find any info on Cramer let alone the stamp that says "#5"
This is a three cav but the block is about the same size as my 2 cav RCBS. The sprue plate pivots at the center cav. Does anybody know anything about this mould? Should I think about having the bevel base removed or just leave it alone?

madsenshooter
12-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Click on castpics at the bottom of the page here, on the left you'll see mould references, then Cramer.

mtnman31
12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Don't remove the bevel base until you can experiment and work with it. It may work fine. I have a .38 cal mold that is bevel based and it leads the gun. I have played with the other variables and have just about narrowed it down to the bevel base. Nothing else seems to fix the leading - for that bullet in that gun.

On the other hand, I have a bevel based .45 SWC bullet that works fantastic. Each gun is a mystery unto itself. Check out your other variables before you permanately modify the mold cavities. I guess you could modify one cavity and see if that solves your problem before you modify each cavity. Good score on the mold by the way.

Glen
12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't care for bevel-based cast bullets in a revolver because of their tendency to lead up the cylinder gap and forcing cone. In a sealed breach gun like a 1911 .45 ACP, I have no gripes at all with a BB bullet.

PS -- Cramer made some great moulds. I have several and like them very much. The #5 mould is indeed listed in their catalog as a 230 grain RN made for the .45 ACP.

MtGun44
12-03-2009, 02:23 AM
4.7 BE, size .452 with normal 50-50 NRA formula. You'd find it will work great in
a 1911 or similar. Not a huge fan of BBs because they are difficult to lube without
a mess in the bevel unless you are using a Star.

Bill

Daddyfixit
12-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Thanks for all the input! You guys are great. I'll pick up a sizer die and use up my bullseye and see how they work in my 1911A1

Bret4207
12-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Cramer made wonderful moulds. IIRC they later became SAECO, sometime in the 50's I think. Great moulds indeed. As far as the BB goes, give a try before you do anything. It may be perfect as is.