PDA

View Full Version : Star Sizer Disassembly

Matt3357
12-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Ok so I posted a week or so ago that I was buying a Used Star Sizer. Well it came in the mail and unfortunately it needs more TLC than I was accounting for. It is pretty nasty and clogged with some Hard Blue Lube. I am wanting to disassemble it to wire brush the painted parts and repaint them and reassemble with some lube in the correct places. I got the handle assembly and the plunger assembly apart but am having difficulty figuring out how to remove the main up right tube and the two other uprights from the base. If it is even possible without damaging it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

plus1hdcp
12-01-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't know if this will help

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

but the schematics can't hurt. Good luck

deltaenterprizes
12-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Leave it alone and use masking tape. Magma parts are expensive and the lube tube can not be bought as a do it yourself part,you need to send the base in to have it installed for $90!

Springfield
12-01-2009, 11:41 PM
If memory serves the 3 aluminum pieces that are on themain tube are heated up to install them. Had to replace to top pivot piece once and that is what worked, interference fit and all that. Don't see why you woud have to take it that far apart to clean it up. And looking at mine I can see pins holding the two steel guide bars in place.

Matt3357
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah thats what I was afraid of. I just found an old Star Reloading website with a parts list and some of them were marked only replaceable at factory due to interference fit. I will clean it as best as I can and mask it off. I guess I am just meticulous when it comes to rebuilding tools and like to get things down to the simplest parts to clean and paint. How do you recommend that I clean out the nasty hard lube that is left in the base? Boiling in water? Heat gun? Blow torch? lol All I know is that I wish I would have known how nasty it was before I bought it.

Oh well, It should clean up just fine with a little elbow grease.

Thanks,
Matt

lathesmith
12-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Matt,
Boiling in water will clean out the old lube very nicely.

Good luck with your project,
lathesmith

deltaenterprizes
12-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Heat gun will warm it enough to liquify the lube enough for it to run out like water. Be careful with the plug in the side, it is a real odd thread 9/16-27. Make sure it is square before trying to screw it back in so you don't cross thread it.

Matt3357
12-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Sounds like a plan then. Oh and lathesmith, once it get all set up, I'll be shooting you a PM with an order for a .358 sizing die, hope you have some time to make me one.

Matt

lathesmith
12-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Sounds fine Matt, I'd be glad to fix you up. There's lots of good info on the site here, that should help you get up and running in no time.

lathesmith