PDA

View Full Version : Linotype - Should I buy the whole lot?

MOFreedom
12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I know a gentleman who deals in used printing presses and comes across linotype and lead. He normally sells it to a guy who makes bullets, but I can buy it if I want to take it all. He just weighs it and loads it onto a truck with a forklift.

He currently has about 500 - 600 pounds of assorted lead-type stuff in a barrel, I have not seen it and don't know what to look for.

What is linotype worth?
Is linotype the same as what he refers to as 'Handset'?
What should I offer?

Insight would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Skip

Gunslinger
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM
GET IT ALL!! Type metal is not something you come across on a regular basis... in Denmark its nearly impossible to find any! There are different kinds of type metal of different hardnesses, check this link:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm#grades

Price... well... I'm not from the states, so I don't see it for sale very often. But I recall having seen it go for about $1/lb. Of course I would start lower....

lwknight
12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
The linotype has #1.00 per pound worth of tin and antimony in it.
I believe that in veiw of dollar devaluation it would be a good investment if nothing else.

Bob Krack
12-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah,

With the current values, $1 to maybe even as much as $1.50 MIGHT be a bargain.

Course, if'n he's a buddy, 1/2 or less might be possible.

Don't know for sure, but "handset" might very well be monotype. Good stuff.

Bob

Stick_man
12-01-2009, 06:16 PM
In that quantity, if you pick it up (read no external shipping costs), you should be able to pick it up for around .70-75 per pound. Thin it down with some pure lead and you will have great casting alloy. If you have to purchase more than you can handle or use within a reasonable amount of time, you could always turn around and offer some of it up for sale here on the forum. It is also good as trading fodder.

fredj338
12-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Rotometals wants $2.50/# so anything around $1/# is a good price. It will be great for alloying pure lead or hardening ww. I bought 50# a few months ago for $1/#. It will look like little strips of silver metal, some w/ letters, some not. It should be pretty hard, not wanting to bend but break when folded.

cajun shooter
12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Linotype runs 22 BHN and is perfect for mixing with lead for many different bullet alloys. As has been stated it goes for around a $1 a pound when purchased in bulk. The linotype will be in thin strips with small letters or plain. If you see large block letters that is monotype which is above 30 BHN. I would take as much as your wallet will allow because you can always sell it on this forum for a profit or getting your money back. You will not lose by buying it.

madsenshooter
12-02-2009, 10:40 AM
The stuff he is referring to as handset, is probably foundry type, even harder than linotype. It's the stuff the printer kept in cases. It could be used over and over because it was so hard.

Lead Fred
12-02-2009, 11:50 AM
You can sell it here, it will go fast, depending what you get it for.

At a buck a pound, Im up for 50 lbs

ZakAttackMan
12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
You can sell it here, it will go fast, depending what you get it for.

At a buck a pound, Im up for 50 lbs

+1

Count me in as well

sheepdog
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Same here, I'd be interested in 50 pounds even with a little markup.

MOFreedom
12-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Got 350 lbs. of mostly Monotype and Linotype. There is some straight lead in there. Now just need to make some casting stuff! Thanks for all of the insight everyone. I have asked him to be on the lookout for more of the same. He has 600 lb furnaces for $300, but that is probably bigger than I can use right away. Some use propane, some natural gas and some 220 VAC. He is an interesting guy with LOTS of stuff!