PDA

View Full Version : 180 grner stub nose thoughts???

barrabruce
12-01-2009, 04:28 AM
O.K. Thinking that I should have a metplat on the nose of by boolits I got this idea in my head and before I could rationally think about it.:roll:

Iv'e ended up with a snub nose boolit.
The end of the of once was a rnd nose is now a nipple and a flat metplat of around 200 thou across.

If it seems as though it is canted then you are correct. :violin:

Reading that mushed noses don't perform tooo badly...hoping praying that I might get some sort of hunting accuracy out of it now.

This batch I cast 100 and they come out the mould around 183 gns with patch. Mostly stick- on wheel weights with a tad of ww and old bullets thrown in the mix.
Softist Iv'e cast.

What yer reckon as a hunting bullet???

I hope they should expand when they hit if going fast enough or just tumble and bend creating a knife like wound channel.
Maybe they will just go splat when I hit something.
Next go at the range I'm gunna see it they will still hit around 2" at 100yrds.

Any thoughts???
Is there any hope for this???

Barra
If all else fails I maybe able to put on a lathe and drill out to even the centre if I ever get around to it.[smilie=b:

Pic comming

barrabruce
12-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Here it is.

leftiye
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Go a little more and straighten it out. Maybe use an endmill to get a flat cut (or modify a drill to have a flat point). Should improve tissue damage a bunch! Should still paper patch fine. Roo varmint boolit maybe.

303Guy
12-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Any thoughts???
Is there any hope for this???Yup. I have some thoughts. Patch 'em and shoot 'em! Betcha they'll shoot just fine.

I found a test medium that seemed to replicate live flesh fairly well. You might want to try it? It's that grey furniture padding - wool, I think. I used it for my hornet tests. I cut the 'open' end out of an empty beer can and packed this padding stuff in as tight as it would go then saturated it with water. For consistency, I would tip the can upside-down briefly. You will need a lot more than a beer can full![smilie=1: But it could give you a good idea on how it might perform on game.

... just tumble and bend ...No, I hope not! But expand yes. You've seen my pics of expanded soft alloy boolits.

This one was shot into wet bunched up rags and started out at 225grs and MV of around 1900fps.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-602F_edited-1.jpg

This started out at 208grs and with a MV of maybe 2200fps. It was a hard alloy and retained 125grs but with a mere 250mm penetration into wet rags! It was a simple round nose as was the one above.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-392F.jpg

barrabruce
12-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I went and chopped a pine tree for xmas and ended up shooting a few rounds into it before chopping down.
pic is a 30-3-182.
3 grns unique at fifty yards.Exra light load. guesstiimate 650 fps penetrated only about 2 inches.
A load of 4.6 grns went though the 5 " tree so no recovery.
The bullet retained its weight and mushroomed out to 0.760"
I did show signs of the nose section bumping up and engraving the lands.
:-D My cunning shuzten load may work yet.

I fiigure trying a fast burning poweder with soft bullets to sortta duplicate blackpowder stuff too see it this works well in my rifle.

I don't know if a decent charge will have much to recover but I'll try it at the range.

Barra
How do you get your pics to go where you want in a post

303Guy
12-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Looks good!
Nice expantion!http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17686&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1259929836 Great pic.

How do you get your pics to go where you want in a post Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean where in the body of your post?

1874Sharps
12-04-2009, 01:35 PM
BarraBruce,

I shot a dear over the weekend with a 30 caliber 168 grain paper patch gas check boolit. The boolit was shot out of a 7.5 Swiss K31 rifle at about 2500 fps (I think I previously posted 2600 fps, but it was a max load anyway). The boolit expanded to over 60 caliber and retained 120 grains of weight after traversing the chest cavity and turning the lungs into strawberry jam. The deer fell right where it stood and it was lights out. The nose was a spitzer design and the alloy was about that of WW hardness or just a little softer. My point is that I do not think you will have any trouble taking game without a wide meplat.

barrabruce
12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
303 I ment in the pics in the main body of the post.

1874 Sharps Nice !! Thanks.Nice to know.
I may one day have a crack at a pig Roo or Goat.
I may have stuffed this mould right up but I'll have to go with it now and see what I can do with it.:(
Whats that mould ? Looks like a Lee mould drilled out to me.
Thats the type of set up I need for PP my 30 cal.

Barra

303Guy
12-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Barra, I don't know how to post 'thumbnails' but what I normally do is 'copy' the URL address line from 'photo bucket' and paste those into the 'insert image' tool above the text window.

To play around with your pic, I simply did a 'left click' on the image then clicked 'properties' then copied the address (URL) then pasted that into the 'insert image' tool. The 'insert image' can be done anywhere in the post body by selecting the spot with the mouse cursor (remember to actually click the mouse button - not like me who often forgets that step and gets it wrong!):-?

(P.S. These dang newfangled gadgets get me all confused!:veryconfu )

barrabruce
12-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeahh bloody confusers.
Yep can do photo...f....mean bucket.
Nearly ran out of space on what I'm allowed to use anyway.:)

barrabruce
12-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Testing done in not ideal condtions windy variable and bloody hot.
But things didn't go to bad.
30-30 H R Single shot.
Dried mango cut off 2 ft x 1 1/2ft x 6 inch ring.
Standing up with end grain exposed.
Range all at 100 yrds

150 hornady core lock sp for control.
31 grns 2208 @ 2100 ft/s or so maybe??

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/barrabruce/Gunstuff/Papaer%20Patching/30312208150hsp.jpg
Shot good bit of wind stringing but I guess after all the PP Iv'e put through this gun it has honed it well. I'm chuffed with this group.
Shot straight though log. No real signs of expansion. Didn't tip log over.

4.2 Grns Unique. quiet sneaky fixer load.somewhere between 650-900 fps ish ...er... there abouts.Need to redo.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/barrabruce/Gunstuff/Papaer%20Patching/3042182.jpg
Sorry didn't take the group sizes but shot I think around 1 1/2 if I remember.
Slight nose bending lost 1 grain weight.Didn't tip log over

20 grns adi 2207 for roughly 1760 f/s
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/barrabruce/Gunstuff/Papaer%20Patching/30202207pp.jpg
Strung 'em long ??? maybe a bit of slippage as I got some lead near the start of rifling.
No real sign of the base bumping up.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/barrabruce/Gunstuff/Papaer%20Patching/30202207.jpg
Penetration I think is good and it did tumble.
Polished/shiney melting finish on bullet.Retained weight 173 grns
Slapped log over

barrabruce
12-06-2009, 08:07 AM
2x 14.2gns 2400 for around 1500 f/s roughly. One with a filler added.
Don't asked cos I forget which group the flyer belongs to but am well pleased with this thrown up sorta worked out load.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/barrabruce/Gunstuff/Papaer%20Patching/142target.jpg

Penetration was the same as the heavier load but I don't think it up set the wood as devestatingly.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/barrabruce/Gunstuff/Papaer%20Patching/301422400.jpg
Retained weight 172 grns bit rough and bits of wood in it.Signs of being bumped up at the gas cheack area. [smilie=p:[smilie=w:
Knocked log over stoutly
Well pleased in deed.
Have no idea what this load be good for.roos or pigs but I am please.
Now how do I get the metal back in the mould???

Any thoughts any one???

O.k. maybe some time I'll get some proper media but you have to wait till I can get some mills and bloom books or sumthin.

Happy little bugga
Barra.

303Guy
12-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Any thoughts any one???Yeah! I do. [smilie=w: :drinks:

Recovering boolits? Have got any 20l plastic containers? Cut an opening and fill with tightly compacted wool waste, saturate with water. That should stop 'em. Start each session with the wool inside a garbage back to keep the water in and have some spare containers.

Great to see your success there!:Fire: That's what I call fun!

P.S. I haven't had time to work on the mold I said I would send you. Can't promise anything - work, work, work (and I don't have access to a milling machine and when I did I was kept too busy!):|

Zeek
12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Whats that mould ? Looks like a Lee mould drilled out to me. Thats the type of set up I need for PP my 30 cal.Barra

1874Sharps: Nice report! My question is, how do you remove the captured pins in a Lee mould so that you can remove the handles and then be able to chuck it into your 4-jaw? That mould picture does not show your having drilled down to the captured-pin-end (so you could tamp it out from above).
Zeek

Zeek
12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
. . . O.k. maybe some time I'll get some proper media but you have to wait till I can get some mills and bloom books or sumthin . . . . Barra.

Barra: I use old phone books stacked up, which I call "Ballistic Laminar Attenuation Medium" (BLAM!, for short). They work fine dry, but would probably to even better wet.
Zeek

barrabruce
12-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I haven't a spare 20 ltre drum and the sheep are far away from this part of the country.
I could use my farvorite clothes next time the wife desides I look to "homeless even St Vinnies wouldn't even trade youthose for a new set"...
Eeeerrrh whats wrong with a few holes anyway.

I'll endevour to get some phone books.

Well I stuffed the mould.
I took a drill and squared it of and drilled it a bit.
Nice and square nose now and runs about 190 grns. Still has the little pip of a nose showing.
Trouble is I musta touched the sides with it and the nose is a bit thick at the front to seat plain lubed. :(
I'll have to cast a batch and size them down to use them for PPing only.

They should wack a wollop.
Just have to work out some loads for it. :) :)
I'm off to fire up the stove and try and get some done for tommorrow and see if they will work.

Cheers
Barra
Zeek I think all you need to do is gently open up the bashed over bit holding them in.
Mine are a little loose.
Then get a punch chisel etc and tap a burr to retain them in again once satisfied.

barrabruce
12-11-2009, 08:03 PM
303 guy. Thanks!!!

Iv'e been wondering if a lee 7mm single mould would make a good donor mould for a D bit drilling for a PP mould.
I can't find the specs for it in diameters and length.
But it would be simplify the job and be and easy mould to use.

Barra