PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Hornady CGND seater die

Windy City Kid
12-01-2009, 04:13 AM
I am thinking about buying the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension seater die for the 9mm.

My question to anyone that has experience with these dies for the 9mm, will the seater die work with 9mm cast boolits sized to .358"?

Thanks,

WCK

Windy City Kid
12-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Nobody uses the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension dies?

Does anyone use these dies for any caliber with cast boolits?

Will Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension seater dies work with cast boolits?

If you have any experience with the Hornady CGND seater die and cast boolits, let me know how they worked for you.

Thanks,

WCK

1hole
12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
"If you have any experience with the Hornady CGND seater die and cast boolits, let me know how they worked for you."

I have no such experience so I'm not qualified to respond. But...why would you think they wouldn't?

BCall
12-09-2009, 11:05 PM
I have used a set of Hornady CGND dies in 30/30 to load some cast for a friend. A decent idea, but if you are using too fat of a bullet you will have problems. I had a little trouble with the ones I was seating. If they had been my dies, I would have tried to lap the alignment sleeve out a little for a better fit. Never used one in a pistol caliber though. Billy

12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
If they're anything like the old Lyman Precision Alignment seating die, what Billy said is true. I have a PA die, in 6.5 Swede, that I had to lap to accommodate a .268" boolit, as it was originally machined for .264" jacketed bullets.

I venture to say that you would experience the same problem if your cast 9 MM boolit is fatter than a jacketed bullet.

Other than that, it works as advertized.

Windy City Kid
12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
1hole,

The Hornady CGND seater die has a floating bullet guide in the die. The 9mm seater die is marked .355" diameter, my cast bullets are .358" diameter.

So I wanted to know how tight the tolerances were.

Windy City Kid
12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
BCall & 462,

Thanks for the information.

I have the information I needed.

Thanks again,

WCK