PDA

View Full Version : GO-EX replacement

lead-1
11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
My youngest son has a 50 cal. muzzleloader, it is a percussion cap, side hammer that he shoots a .490 ball with a cloth patch. He is using GO-EX FFFg at around 60-70 grains but I have noticed that no one around here seems to carry this powder. What do you folks use that would be a good replacement. I ran across a good deal on some pellets but the guy told me not to use them unless I had an in-line.

Lead Fred
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
You can only buy it on-line in some states, in some commie states you cant even do that.

Potsy
11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I guess if I absolutely, after exhausting every avenue, couldn't find black powder, I'd try Hogdon Triple 7or possibly Pyrodex P.
I tried pellets in my old Knight and after being left in the gun for a few days, they had a noticeable hangfire. Deer died both times owing a decent follow through, but black goes off RIGHT NOW.

11-30-2009, 10:12 PM
I'd stay with blackpowder if at all possible. If you can get some buddies together for a few pounds to make it worth the hazmat... might try Grafs.
https://www.grafs.com/powders/3522

webfoot10
11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
lead-1, Try the LOG CABIN SHOP in Lodi OH. Their phone no. is (330) 948-1082 They
have anything you need in Black Powder or black powder related supplies.
webfoot10

mooman76
11-30-2009, 11:03 PM
If you can't find BP close by I've used Pyrodex allot with good success. Pyrodex P (pistol) but also equivalent to fff and Pyrodex RS(rifle/shotgun) is equivalent to ff.

lead-1
12-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Thanks guys and I'll look into Log Cabin maybe in a couple weeks I'll be right near there and drive on over.

2ndAmendmentNut
12-01-2009, 02:19 AM
If I absolutely could not get my hands on real BP, I would use Triple-7 2fg.

bob208
12-01-2009, 07:34 AM
yes you can allways get black as others have said you can get it shipped to you. get a few friends together and buy a case.

there is no replacement or sub. for the real thing.

10 ga
12-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Over the years I've used a lot of different kinds of "powder". If at all possible stick with the "Holy Black". I prefer Swiss as it seems to have a bit more UMPH and I can use a little less than Goex or other types. Im my sidehammer guns I have used granular, not pellets, pyrodex in P, RS and Premium grade. The pyrodex premium?? is larger more uniform grains, the P is small uniform grains and the RS seems very random and not uniform. All worked OK with no unexpected hangfires or duds. Have also used granular, not pellets, 777 in the hammer guns, it also worked OK, only tried the 3F grade.

I use the German Rotweil Musket caps in all my sidehammer guns and have ALL of my rifles equiped with Mt. State Mfg. "Spitfire" musket nipples. I had to adjust a couple of the hammers but the upgrade in reliability was huge.

As stated, I prefer the "Holy Black", but if you have enough fire the pyrodex and 777 are reliable.

corvette8n
12-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I used both pyrodex pellets and triple 7 powder in a CVA sidelock with cci #10 percussion caps. I found out afterwards you are not supposed to use pellets with a cap but I didn't have any problems. I never did use real BP with my CVA sidelock as I cound not find anywhere local to buy it.

I now have a new CVA inline and use Blackhorn 209 powder, it is the only stuff I can use without getting a crud ring, this gun has a tight chamber and I tried BP, T7,pyrodex every product left a horrendous crud ring, so bad I could not load a second shot without cleaning.

cascadehunter
12-11-2009, 09:12 PM
My youngest son has a 50 cal. muzzleloader, it is a percussion cap, side hammer that he shoots a .490 ball with a cloth patch. He is using GO-EX FFFg at around 60-70 grains but I have noticed that no one around here seems to carry this powder. What do you folks use that would be a good replacement. I ran across a good deal on some pellets but the guy told me not to use them unless I had an in-line.

A good source for real black, is Powder Inc.
Their 5 lb price for Goex is 25.35 and that includes Hazmat and shipping .

They also carry a great BP made in Europe, that sells for about 7.00 per lb. less than Goex, and in my opinion is every bit as good, and clean. It's called KIK, and I see they are temporarily out of it. KIK is the only powder I now use, if I can get it. I use 3f in all my guns because I get more "BANG" for the buck! Just use 10% less than 2f.

Stay away from pellets in a side lock.

Willbird
12-12-2009, 12:55 AM
If you HAD to use the pellets for some reason, use says 10 grains of real BP as a booster charge...that is what Hogdon says to do in flint locks.

I would probably use ffffg for that purpose.

Bill

smburnette
12-12-2009, 01:01 AM
I have been using American Pioneer Powder, and like it MUCH better than pyrodex or 777...

357maximum
12-12-2009, 02:31 AM
I like the German wano shuetzen (grafs is the same thing) in 2f and 3f. I buy alot of goex too..it is slightly dirtier in the 2f ganulation but the 3f works just as well in my 50's PRB if I stick to the 3f ...

and best of all

GOEX IS STILL MADE IN THE USA

frontier gander
12-13-2009, 08:59 PM
pyrodex rs or pyrodex P. If using Pyrodex P, be sure to lower the charge 10 grains as Pyro P is 3f and it takes less powder to = 2f goex / Pyro RS.