PDA

View Full Version : Sizing bullet, how much is OK?

Changeling
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
When you are resizing bullets how much can be shaved off in the resize with no ill effects.

This is just a wondering type question in case I run into a deal on a mold that casts larger than I use.

yondering
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Depends on the boolit and alloy of course, but with a polished Lee push through die, you can usually size 45/70 boolits (.460 or so) down to .452 for that 45 Colt you've got, and get good results. Regarding how much sizing is actually possible, I've sized .40 cal FMJ bullets down to .359" in a Lee push through. Heavy sizing like that requires some lube and a strong O-frame press like a Rockchucker or Lyman Crusher, but it is possible.

Base first sizing in a lubersizer is more sensitive and less accurate, but can be done as well.

Char-Gar
12-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Use the search function on this web site and you will have your question answered over and over again. If you don't want to do that, the answer is .... it depends.

Calamity Jake
12-01-2009, 09:59 AM
When you are resizing bullets how much can be shaved off in the resize with no ill effects.

Sizing does not shave off lead, the size die swedges the boolit down in size. The lead has to go somewhere so the boolit grows in length.

If your size die is shaving lead, it is time to fix or replace it.

I've taken the lyman lovern 8MM from .326 down to .315 in two passes- checken and lubing in a .325 then push thru a .315

beagle
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
What are you wanting to try? That might give us some clues./beagle

Changeling
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
What are you wanting to try? That might give us some clues./beagle

"When you are resizing bullets how much can be shaved off in the resize with no ill effects.

This is just a wondering type question in case I run into a deal on a mold that casts larger than I use. "

This question was for the 45 LC I bought, don't have it yet so I have no idea of it's dimensions relative to groove or throat so I was jumping the gun so to speak in my mind. I'll calm down now till I get it and measure things like throat and groove diameter of barrel. Sorry, just getting tired of waiting !