PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Gas Check

Wally
11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Was curious, has anyone ever used a gas check, reversed with a regular (non-gas check) type bullet in a straight wall case. The reason---to get most of the benefits of using a gas check and to be able to use a favorite non-gas check type bullet. Let's say the Lyman 358429 for example. The cup of the gas check would be be seated the other way--I would think the gas check cup would seal well and might just make the bullet more accurate, with little or no fouling. With many now making their own gas checks this may prove to be a good idea...

StarMetal
11-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Was curious, has anyone ever used a gas check, reversed with a regular (non-gas check) type bullet in a straight wall case. The reason---to get most of the benefits of using a gas check and to be able to use a favorite non-gas check type bullet. Let's say the Lyman 358429 for example. The cup of the gas check would be be seated the other way--I would think the gas check cup would seal well and might just make the bullet more accurate, with little or no fouling. With many now making their own gas checks this may prove to be a good idea...

I used that method in my 7mm-08 as the base of the bullet didn't come close to the bottom of the neck. Pushed it to 2700 fps with about 3/4 inch 100 yard groups. Nothing new.

Joe

Wally
11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Great news...it would probably work very well with pistol calibers and the .444 Marlin/.45-70 Gov't.... I had not read about anyone else trying this before... might be fun to try using this with a gas check type bullet to see if it is more accurate without the gas check put on the regular way.

leadman
12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Dave Scovill, the editor of Handloader wrote about this in an article many years ago.

I have used this with several pistol boolits with good sucess.

Make sure you develop the loads from the beginning using the reversed gas check to be sure pressures are good.

Bullshop
12-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Better shield your chrono screens though. My Ohler mod 35 screens got pretty shot up that way. When the check veers off after leaving the muzzle they sometimes hit the chrono screens.
They do have enough energy to cause damage.
Be careful!
BIC/BS

Wally
12-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Better shield your chrono screens though. My Ohler mod 35 screens got pretty shot up that way. When the check veers off after leaving the muzzle they sometimes hit the chrono screens.
They do have enough energy to cause damage.
Be careful!
BIC/BS

I made a wooden shield for my Chrony----it is the model with a remote display unit---I also use plastic drinking strays for the guides

Wally
12-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Dave Scovill, the editor of Handloader wrote about this in an article many years ago.

I have used this with several pistol boolits with good sucess.

Make sure you develop the loads from the beginning using the reversed gas check to be sure pressures are good.

Thank you--looks like this will be a good experiment to try---now that I can make home made GC, I can afford to do this.

rbuck351
12-08-2009, 06:57 PM
You can use pop can checks and apply them to a non check boolit in the normal manner if you use the thin 004/005 pop can material.