PDA

View Full Version : .38 cal Snake Shot using Gas Checks

DHORNE
11-30-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm fairly new to reloading and would like to reload .38 special for snake shot. I have been able to locate little to no reloading data concearning this. Have read that I could use gas checks between the powder and shot and another on top of the shot with a roll crimp. I have used cardboad cutouts with a wax sealer in the past, but would like something a little simpler. I have been unable to locate any powder charge information or proper size of the gas checks. Have read that the 35 cal checks will work, would appreciate any help.

eka
11-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Here is a link to our very own Junior's website where he makes just such a thing for the .44 Mag. I'm too cheap to use gas checks, so I punch wads out of old coke boxes with a sharpened case. For the .38 Special, you would be fine using 148 grain wadcutter powder charges. You will probably find that you get better patterns with milder loads.

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm

lwknight
11-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Very interesting subject.

Its been years since I paid any attention to the shot capsules that speer makes but, if you use then you need nothing else. The plastic base cap is the gas seal.

No matter what you do, you need some kind of wadding cup. I would think it woulld serve to seal the gas too.

lwknight
11-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Dang! Eka you got me back interested in making shotshells. I read that article. I always thought that there had to be a cup of sorts to keep the base flat till the load left the barrel.

He is saying that a plain flat wad will work. I have a gasket punch set. hmmm..

I shall be experimenting very soon.

DHORNE
11-30-2009, 05:31 AM
I've heard of just using cardboard cutouts in the past using a .357 case but am just looking for a something a little more convient.

DHORNE
11-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the link and the info, believe this will help.

GP100man
11-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I use a cereal box to cut wadcard from & seal with a little crimp & water proof carpenters glue.

I use 2.5 grs. of clays in the 357 case to propell the #9 payloads.

I also form 357 max to fit 357 mag chamber, talk `bout patterns!!! but I`ll have to get notes to explain that!!

Shorter the barrel the better the pattern will be!!

To make cards I use a sized case with the primer drilled out ,spun with a lee trimmer holder , sharpened with a chamfer tool , with notches filed into it.

Have fun , Be safe!!!!& almost forgot WELCOME TO CASTBOOLITS.GUNLOADS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eka
11-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, these things are a lot of fun to experiment with. I have also tinkered with the .410 shotgun using a .444 Marlin case and the same setup. The rim was a little too thick for my shotgun, so I sank a fired large pistol primer into the case. The large pistol primer is not as tall and sat down deeper into the pocket. I then filed the rim down until the spent large pistol primer was just below flush. She then chambered and fired some fairly respectable patterns for problem critters in the backyard type ranges.

I can appreciate convenience, but for me I like experimenting with these types of things and being able to scrounge up stuff around the house like Coke boxes and Elmer's glue. I didn't come up with any of these ideas, but it's fun trying them out and putting a different twist or two on them. It's just nice getting out of the norm occasionally.

35remington
11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
This data is older than the moon, probably, and is the most commonly printed load I've seen for a do it yourself shot load. Maybe not as good as the shot capsule rounds, but good enough for what it's for. For 38 special cases and best in ordinary plan vanilla revolvers; I prefer short barrelled .38's for this due to general handiness and packability.

Two gaschecks, both sized to remove the flare in a .358" die.

3.5 Bullseye, gascheck seated cup up just over powder, fill with #9 shot or smaller, leave a small space for final gascheck seated cup down. Crimp over top to hold gascheck.

Good enough for snakes and vermin to about 10 feet out of my 2 inch snubby. The gaschecks themselves are a lethal projectile to the critters this is intended for. The smaller the shot, the better. A cylinderful will leave some leading that cleans out with a few followup jacketed bullets.

Gee_Wizz01
11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
I played with gas checks and various cardboard wads but my best results were obtained with Speer Shot Capsules. I don't shoot enough shot loads to worry about the cost. My Dad used them in his .357 Blackhawk to rid his pecan orchard of squirrels. They also work wonderfully on diamondbacks and cotton mouths.

G

wistlepig1
12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
I looked in the back of my loading stuff and found a box of Speer plastic shotshell cups. On the back here is the data from Speer. For 38/357, #9 shot,COL 1.500, Speer part #50 8789
5.5grs Unique= 1100 fps
4.5 grs HP-38= 1050
5.9 grs 231= 1100
4.5 grs 700x=1050
4.5 grs Bullseye=1025

The FPS is over stated by Mfg's
This my help. martin
We have to protect ourselves from Colorado Snow Snake, much more dangerous than GP100man's example!haha

yman
12-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I use the speer shot caps in 357 with #8 shot to shoot rats when I bush hog. When I get down to the final rows the rats really start running & I have a blast. I read an artical one time some gun writer had written, he lived out west were rattlers were a prob. He said #12 shot worked the best on snakes, he wrote for some reason the #12 shot seemed to dispatch snakes with a lot more reliabiably than 8, even 9s. He said the prob was finding 12shot. I am thinging you might be able to take a large soda straw & split it & use two pieces doubling one piece over the split in the other & put it between 2 wads or gas checks, I have never tried this but it has possibilities.

JIMinPHX
12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
I had good luck using #9 shot with the Speer brand shot capsules & the data out of the Speer reloading manual. Off the top of my head, I think that I got my best patters with about 0.2 grains below the max powder charge. I can't remember if I used 231 or Bullseye. I got very even shot patterns. I did not get the doughnut shaped pattern that a lot of guys report. I was mostly using them in a 4" revolver, although I have also used them in a Derringer.

gking1937
12-22-2009, 10:04 PM
I use 3.6 gr HP-38 in my 357 mag. Load powder, put a gas check in on top, add #9 shot, and another gas check on top of shot. Crimp lightly. I use a sawed off bolt to press the gas checks down onto the powder and shot. Makes a deadly snake getter.

jlchucker
12-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I use the speer shot caps in 357 with #8 shot to shoot rats when I bush hog. When I get down to the final rows the rats really start running & I have a blast. I read an artical one time some gun writer had written, he lived out west were rattlers were a prob. He said #12 shot worked the best on snakes, he wrote for some reason the #12 shot seemed to dispatch snakes with a lot more reliabiably than 8, even 9s. He said the prob was finding 12shot. I am thinging you might be able to take a large soda straw & split it & use two pieces doubling one piece over the split in the other & put it between 2 wads or gas checks, I have never tried this but it has possibilities.

I bought some no. 11 shot a few years ago from Ballistic Products Inc. It came in a 5 lb little jar. I was going to use it in those Speer shot caps, and may still do that. BPI back then carried 10,11, and 12 shot like that, and may still. Check it out. They've got a website but I don't know it offhand. They carry about everything you'd ever need for about any shotshell loading you'll ever think of doing.

wistlepig1
12-23-2009, 04:15 PM
If it is steel shot that may be a bad idea. In shotguns, the wade for steel is much thicker and encloses all the shot or should. FYI

jlchucker
12-23-2009, 07:53 PM
If it is steel shot that may be a bad idea. In shotguns, the wade for steel is much thicker and encloses all the shot or should. FYI

It's lead shot.

Kskybroom
12-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Yes BPI has small shot

blaster
12-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I use a 7/16 (.4375") holow punch I got at harbor freight for the 44mag. I cut wads out of boxes, cans, styrafoam plates, etc. The Punches came in a set for $3 and came with a 3/8" punch which is .375." that might work in the 38. For the 44mag I use 44special powder weights.

DLCTEX
12-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Use an empty cartridge case with the primer pocket drilled through to allow a rod to punch out the wads. Sharpen the case mouth with a chamfer tool and cut the wads from a styrofoam take out tray for over powder and overshot wads. Press the wads down with a dowel and glue the overshot wad with Elmers glue or as I do, Dap tub and tile caulk. My best friend picked up 2 bags of #9 shot at a garage sale for 20 bucks and gave it to me, so I'm good for a while. 3.5 gr. BE is good for 38 and 45 loads.

Dale53
12-24-2009, 01:45 AM
I have shot capsules for all of my field revolvers (Speer capsules, that is). I have them for .38/.357, .44 Spec/Magnum, and .45 Colt (I believe these might work in .45 ACP revolvers but have not tried it).

#9 shot works pretty good but Ballistic Products #12 is considerably better (MUCH denser pattern and at the ranges involved, you do NOT need single pellet energy). It fairly shreds snake heads.

Actually, if you can shoot under pressure with a handgun, the solid bullet works just fine (if a snake is dangerous it is CLOSE and comparatively BIG). The problem comes in when you are in rocky ground country - you can get a large bullet back in your teeth when shooting against hard ground. That is where fine shot SHINES!

FWIW'
Dale53

HamGunner
12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
What kind of snake does G100MAN have pictured there? It looks like a harmless Bullsnake. Don't have any rattles.

kd5exp
02-05-2013, 03:40 PM
I have been using 357 mag cases in my 38 sp for snake shot. If you set the FCD up for 38 sp it will neck it down where it fits perfect. 3.8 gr of titegroup and starafoam plate for wads. I use two wads on top of powder and one on top of shot and a little wax to seal and hold in place. works great and gives you a little more shot. Very cheap way to make them and a blast to shoot.

bruce drake
03-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I just made up twelve 38 Spl. snake loads for this summer's fishing season. 4gr of Unique with a cardboard shot wad over and under the shot which is 95gr of #8 shot.

I took the powder load for an equivalent bullet weighed 38 special for the light weight of the shot and then dropped a bit more for safety so we'll see how it patterns shortly.

10 Spot Terminator
03-12-2013, 09:12 AM
I opted to use the Speer capsules as they allow you to use nearly 20% more shot in your loads as the caplules extend past the mouth of the cases the same as a bullet. I use the 5.5 grs. of unique recommended as one of the loads by speer and #12 shot . I have yet to encounter a rattler since loading them and think the word must have got out . To test the load I took a couple of those nice little Red Rose potatoes as they were about the size of an ol buzz worms head and at about 6 feet one shot would turn them into hashbrowns. I dont try to get that close to them damn snakes but that has been about the average distance I tend to see them at after they coil and start to buzz,,, all except the one I stepped on and was lucky it was close enough to his head he couldnt turn and give me the bite. Best way to ruin your underwear I ever found. Lucky I wasnt alone and my fishin buddy cut a long forked stick to pin his head just before I cut it off. Guess when I started loading snakeshot and carrying a sidearm 24/7 in the boonies ??? I dont step over rocks anymore either without poking around the other side with a fishin rod or my hiking/shooting stick which has a "v" shaped cradle gun rest/snake pinner on it.

10 Spot

timberhawk
03-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I use 5.0 grains of Unique, a speer capsule and #12 shot from Ballistic Products and it kills rattlers like they were struck by lightning. They don't even twitch!

DukeInFlorida
03-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Couple of older discussions from the SWAGING section of this forum on this subject:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?100106-Blanks-and-bird-shot&highlight=crimp+universal

and also:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?95358-Universal-Notching-Die&p=1077246&viewfull=1#post1077246

The second link hows how you can use BT Sniper's Universal Notching die set to make blanks or even bird shot type crimped ammo.

If you shoot enough shot from your revolvers, it would be a very cost effective alternative to buying factory plastic capsules of shot.