PDA

View Full Version : Bevel bases-Lars Carn Red contaminate powder?

cheese1566
11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Does Lar's Carnuba Red contaminate powders?
Specifically from the small amount left on the Lee bevel bases.

I have three pistol molds that are the Lee 6 cavities with bevel bases. They work great and I will refuse to modify them at this point. I have tried wiping the excess lube that inherently gathers on the small bevel base=tired fingers. I also tried the gas check/foam discs in the sizer die. I know there are other solutions, but today that is not my question...:grin:

My light loads are mainly for practice-plinking-and fun in 9mm, 38 special, and 45 Auto using Winchester-Hodgon ball pistol powders.

I have asked this in the past and didn't get much answers. I know I have seen the same post in the last few months, but cannot find it.

mpmarty
11-29-2009, 01:46 PM
It depends..... mostly on the temperature at which the cartridges are stored and their relative position ie standing up, laying down, jumbled any which way?

Most lubes, and I make the assumption that the specific lube you refer to is not unlike others, will sweat some oils at higher temps which could possibly effect powder performance.

Rather than working your fingers to the bone (results in bony fingers) try dipping the base of the boolit in a bit of motor mica as this should seal off any weeping and protect the powder.

putteral
11-29-2009, 02:45 PM
I use BAC on a couple of my beveled base molds, mainly in 9mm and have not noticed any problems yet when shooting. I always seem to get a little lube on the base.

GP100man
11-29-2009, 04:15 PM
This was 1 of my concerns when lookin for a lube & I believe it`s good to 150f .

I`ve left my truck gun ammo in all summer & it shot good at the end of summer, a 50 round plastic ammo type box.

Did keep it out of direct sunlite with windws rolled up .

Carnauba Red , the last time I ever have to clean out my 450s!!!

Calehedron
11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
For my 147gr 9mm bevel base bullet, I had Buckshot make a new ejector rod for the sizer die that fit the boat tail. No more lube on the bases.

Cherokee
11-29-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't worry about a small amount of lube on the base, haven't noticed any problems using such bullets, but my ammo does not spend much time exposed to high heat.

Eutectic
11-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I must be from another century.......

I wipe clean my bases before I seat the bullet like I was taught 60 years ago by one almost taught by Harry Pope himself six decades earlier than that.

Eutectic