PDA

View Full Version : Resultz GB 175 FPGC Boolit in 8X57

TCLouis
11-29-2009, 12:47 AM
I was rooting around the other day and found a 1917 Spandau barreled action I forgot that I even had. As I looked it over the barrel was dark and even the lands were dark. I started in on it with Ed's Red, alternated with Kroil and Hoppes.

After a while the lands seemed to stand out and the grooves were dark, but appeared to be smooth. Dug in the barrel full of old stocks til I found a bubbaized stock that should fit and put it together for some fire polishing. 4 grains of Barttlett #105 (wish I had bought 3 more jugs of this powder when he had it) behind the cast boolit with my ever trusty fire lapping compound and twenty rounds later the lands are slightly shiny and there does not seem to be any leading.
Time to load up 30 and firelap some more. Not sure of the velocity, but kinda accurate and I can hear the boolit strike my 50 yard berm after I lift my head from the stock. The lands are shiny now and ther is still no leading.

Time for my accuracy load and hope for a positive result.

5 rounds with 20.5 and 5 more with 21.5 grains of milsurp 4759. It takes some doing to get on target, but a sight setting of 500 meters and the rounds left (3) cluster together with the 21.5grain load, this makes the second 98 8mm that likes 21.5 of my batch of Milsurp 4759. I figure with those results, I might was well grab the VZ 24 with the mirror shiny barrel to test also and 5 rounds at 50 yards fall in a 3 inch group from the CZ(the CZ has never proven to be a great shooter even with a barrel that shiny, today was no different. Time to set it aside til I can spend some serious diagnoses time.

I am getting this cross stick shooting down.

As smart as Paul Mauser was, I can not say anything positive about that front sight. Course, maybe that little pointy top makes me aim small.

Found what I was originally looking for too, a FN action with bad barrel (0.325' boolit will drop about 2 inches down from the muzzle, damage from judicious cleaning from the muzzle I suppose.
That action will receive a "NEW" 308 barrel and hopefully build into a nice 308 cast boolit scoped gun this year.

All that to say I gotta get that GB 175 grain boolit after a deer this year. Wish the meplat was a bit larger now. Hafta put it to the 1 gallon water filled mik jug test.

New Range data,175 GB, 0.325", CCI LR, 21.5 Milsurp 4759; 1685fps