PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 650 Primer Feed

ddeaton
11-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Does anyone else have primer problems with the 650? Large primers are the choice now and if I stroke the handle pretty good I get about 10 sideways primers sqeezed into the pockets out of about 30 or 40 rounds. Not a good number. I found that if I baby the stroke and ease up on the primer seat stroke those numbers go to zero. They must be upsetting if you jam the primer seat stroke home. Anyone else notice this?

garandsrus
11-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't have that problem... The primers are starting out correctly or the primer would be getting hung up in the feeder.

Make sure that your press is securely mounted to the bench. My only guess is that the press is bouncing when you stroke the handle "pretty good", causing the primer to bounce sideways. Also, make sure that the primer assembly hasn't come loose.

John

ddeaton
11-28-2009, 11:02 PM
I will check it out. You are right, they are starting out fine and always feed. Press mounted secure on a strong mount, good stable bench. I will tear down the primer feed and shellplate when I get a chance to inspect. Something is outa wack.

plumber
11-29-2009, 12:23 AM
On the 650 you have to pause in the 'neutral' position before you send that primer home. I had the same problem before Dillon CS set me right.

Dale53
11-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Dan;
I am NOT an authority on the 650. However, it maybe that you have pieces of primers where they are creating problems. I have had that happen with my 550's.

If discovered another problem with my primer tubes. If I filled to the tubes then immediately turned them over, a Primer could "catch" on the junction of the plastic end and the primer tube. This could and would flip a primer so it'd try to go in sideways.

I learned that after the tube was full, to raise the feed rod up against the primers with the weight of the column of primers holding the primers in place, as I pushed that bottom primer past the junction, then while holding pressure on the primer column, THEN turn the tube over. It has completely eliminated the problem.

FWIW
Dale53

ddeaton
11-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Dale, I have been using your trick since you told me about it a while back. It doesnt appear to be a feed problem. I can manually click the advance arm and feed the whole tube without a hitch into the missed primer ski jump. I think it is a clearance problem somewhere letting the primer jiggle a little during the stroke and flipping sideways, or possibly a timing thing, maybe catching the edge of the primer cup tipping it if stroked too hard.
Plumber, This seems to work, but there has to be a fix for this. Whats the sense in having a fast progressive press if you have to stall and wait on each stroke? Or baby it.

Dale53
11-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Dan;
I suggest a quick call to Dillon. Surely, they have had problems similar to yours. They have always been helpful to me when queried.

Keep us posted of your results.

Dale53

ddeaton
11-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I fixed it!![smilie=w:

The new case coming across the chute from the case feed tube was stopping short of its journey to the rotating shell holder. I knew something was outa wack. Not seating firmly against the shell holder till after the primer was on its way up. The rod with the jam nut which goes through the middle of the primer feed assembly is what controls this. This rod rides on the plastic cam which operates the case feed. Adjusting it up some let the case seat against the back of the shell holder disc before the primer plunger starts its travel up to seat the primer. One of those adjustments that I never even looked at out of the box and have been running that way for a couple years. The reason I took notice was the fact that it was getting worse over time, and with the price of primers I was getting ticked. I still like my Dillon 650, and sorry for cursing at it.

Dale53
11-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Dan;
Congratulations! It helps to be a professional "trouble shooter", doesn't it:drinks:.

I had a primer problem with my 550B a time or two and the first time it was giving me fits. Finally, I removed the primer feed and found a couple of primer anvils that had separated from decapped primers and were out of sight but interfering with the movement of the primer slide. Now, I keep an eye on that...

Good work!
Dale53

ddeaton
11-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Dale, I can now load some serious 45acp today for the big shootout when I get home from this next workweek. 3.8 grains of Bullseye and a plastic tub of sized and lubed Mihec HG68's, it doesnt get any better than this. Now I am happy.

Dale53
11-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Dan;
I am looking forward to that shoot, big time! It's been too-o-o-o long since last we shot.

Dale53