PDA

View Full Version : Old krag rifle

jtaylor1960
11-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I was in my local gun shop a few days ago and as usual the owner offered to show me a few guns he had just taken in trade.One was a 30/40 Krag.I'm not sure of the model but it was made in 1892 and the serial no. was around 10,000.It appeared to be almost all original except the rear sight was removed and a peep was on the rear.The stock looked very good.I was also suprised to see the bore looked very good almost new even.It was a little dirty but I couldn't see any rust or pitting.I'm not into military guns much but just thought I would share with you guys as the gun is for sale but has not been put on the rack yet.

MtGun44
11-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Any idea what he is going to ask for this Krag?

What part of the country are we talking about?

Bill

jtaylor1960
11-28-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't think he was sure what to ask.According to the Blue book and of course depending on the condition the prices he showed me could be quite high.I'm in central Pa.If your interested I could give you his name and number and you could talk to him personally.PM me for more info.

MtGun44
11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks, but no. "Quite high" a price doesn't really cause me to get real
interested, esp for a far away rifle that I'd have money into before I could
even look at it in person. I was hoping it was somewhere closer and maybe
the guy might have a reasonable price on it.

Bill

Trifocals
11-29-2009, 09:04 PM
If that Krag holds any interest for you....BUY IT! It is unusual nowadays to find one with an excellent/pristine bore. They are probably the smoothest operating bolt action you will ever encounter and are excellent cast boolit rifles, especially with heavier boolits. One caveat! Have the bolt locking lugs checked for cracks by magnaflux and/or industrial Xray, or both. They are prone to crack if subjected to heavy loads. LOL

madsenshooter
11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
That would be a model 1892, made in 1894 or 95. I've ran across several of them with like new barrels, I think many of them were rebuilt before being turned over to the Nat'l Guard after the 03 was adopted and issued. Then of course, many of them simply sat in racks until sold surplus. I had 3 that didn't look as though they'd ever been fired. The barrels that is, the rest of the gun had been through a war or something.

fourarmed
12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
A '92 Krag in as-issued condition would be worth many thousands. Virtually all of them were recalled and updated to '96 configuration. Even in that original condition, they go pretty high if in good shape.

Shiloh
12-02-2009, 07:00 PM
A '92 Krag in as-issued condition would be worth many thousands. Virtually all of them were recalled and updated to '96 configuration. Even in that original condition, they go pretty high if in good shape.

You're darn right!! It would also have to be looked at by someone really in the know. There were many variations and modifications made in the 10 or so years they were made. It would need to have a lot of parts and the stock looked over to see if it was correct.

Joe Poyer and Wm. Mook come to mind. There are other experts.

Shiloh

Hip's Ax
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Bill Mook died a year or two ago. Go to the link below and post the info, many pictures would be best. These guys, well, theres some heavy hitter Krag guys that hang here. GOOD group of guys too.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

bob208
12-02-2009, 11:13 PM
well i have a few krags. for this one to be in 92 trim it would need the barrel to have a flat crown on the muzzle. also it would have a cleaning rod under the barrel like a trapdoor has. the top wood does not cover the receiver ring. there is no trap in the buttstock

a that said if it has a receiver sight . that means it have been drilled and tapped and the stock relived to clear the sight. not a lot of collector intrest there.

madsenshooter
12-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Not necessarily drilled and tapped. Redfield and Pacific made no D&T receiver sights for the Krag, and there's also the Rice peep which is mounted on top of the bolt. You can't see much of it, but that's a 92/96 that I'm shooting over there in my avatar.

KCSO
12-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Man I didn't know Bill died! it's been abot 3 years since I last talked to him, I'll sure miss him as ke was my go to guy for Krags.

Hip's Ax
12-04-2009, 12:13 PM
He was everybody's go to guy for Krags, even the most advanced collectors went to him. The story goes Bill could tell which assembler at Springfield put together a given Krag by the marks left in the screw slots. We shall not see his like again. :(