PDA

View Full Version : More deer

44man
11-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I shot a good doe this morning, gutted her and left so Whitworth could finish hunting. I got a call to pick him up, he shot a nice size spike. We both used .475's with my WFN, 420 gr boolit.
I shot mine at 50 yards, she went straight up and made 30 yards. Marko shot his in the neck at 20 yards and dropped it. The deer was walking towards him. All in all a good morning.

Bucks Owin
11-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Dang, you're on a roll 44man! Now that we know how well a .475 Linebaugh works....;-) Good one amigo, roll out a different handcannon now! Dennis :kidding:

Changeling
11-28-2009, 05:09 PM
It's funny how things can all of a sudden turn around, it's interesting that you are now seeing them because they are now all over the hill behind the house every evening now (winter wheat), starting just as the sun is going down. 11 of them yesterday (Friday).

BOOM BOOM
11-28-2009, 07:12 PM
HI,
I AM ENVIOUS!
I also am surprised your deer even went 1 ft. forward. I expected 4' sideways.:bigsmyl2:

Whitworth
11-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Mine dropped at the shot and just twitched a little and that was that. Funny thing is that I had just holstered my .475 and was getting ready to climb down from my stand when this spike showed up. I scrambled to make my SRH ready and shot him in the neck...... Here's another photo of the deer.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/DSC04215.jpg

9.3X62AL
11-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Nice work, both of you!

blaser.306
11-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Congradulations on the nice deer ! But you guy's are killing me , I have the equipment D/W .44 T/C 7 tcu and now a wichita 7/08 but in Canda we cant discharge our pistol anywhere but on a gov't approved range ! May have to look into a hunting trip south of the border next year , keep the pics coming . At least those of us up north can dream and live vicariously thru you . But then again those pea shooters your using may not have the clout to deal with our whitetails up here !We do hold the world record, Hanson Buck !!!:kidding:

44man
11-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Congradulations on the nice deer ! But you guy's are killing me , I have the equipment D/W .44 T/C 7 tcu and now a wichita 7/08 but in Canda we cant discharge our pistol anywhere but on a gov't approved range ! May have to look into a hunting trip south of the border next year , keep the pics coming . At least those of us up north can dream and live vicariously thru you . But then again those pea shooters your using may not have the clout to deal with our whitetails up here !We do hold the world record, Hanson Buck !!!:kidding:
That might be broken by the latest Ohio buck. :bigsmyl2:

Whitworth
11-29-2009, 01:47 AM

I haven't hunted with a rifle in the last couple of years.......revolvers are so much more interesting IMHO.......

44man
11-29-2009, 09:43 AM
That little revolver hits them so hard, they run into everything, trees, branches, etc. I found long gashes in the hide, bare of hair. They are out of it completely, dead on their feet. They crash hard too.

Topper
11-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Nice work.
I haven't harvested any game with a wheel gun YET ;-)

44man
11-30-2009, 01:02 AM
We are really having fun with the revolvers and have taken many, many deer with one shot each.
Then I hear the neighbor shoot 8 times with a rifle and laugh. I ask how many deer he killed with all the shots and he always says it was someone else up on the hill! :bigsmyl2: Yeah, sure.
Topper, get out there with the revolver, leave the rifle home, you will love it.

Wayne Dobbs
11-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I've killed four deer with four shots these past two seasons. All were with my S&W 625 .45 ACP Mountain Gun and none went further than 25 yards. It's a much better hunting experience than scoped rifle "assassinations".

Changeling
12-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I've killed four deer with four shots these past two seasons. All were with my S&W 625 .45 ACP Mountain Gun and none went further than 25 yards. It's a much better hunting experience than scoped rifle "assassinations".

What bullets and load were you using in that S&W 625?

BOOM BOOM
12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
hi,
I have been hunting black power deer for over 10 years, with sporatic success.
Ut. does not allow one to carry a pistole on that hunt. I might have had better luck that way.

Whitworth
12-03-2009, 08:12 AM

That is my experience, too. The precision shooters with their scoped rifles firing multiple shots and in the end having nothing to show for -- LOL!:D

Wayne Dobbs
12-03-2009, 11:47 AM
What bullets and load were you using in that S&W 625?

Changeling,

The load is as follows:

Starline .45 Auto Rim brass
255 grain Keith SWC (cast by Mount Baldy Bullets)
6.5 grains Unique
WW LP Primer

Does about 875 fps and groups into 3" at 50 yards from my 625 Mountain Gun. Knocks a big hole, just as Elmer stated, and the animal dies very quickly. Little to no bloodshot meat from this load. I recall years ago, he said, "you can eat right up to the hole".

Changeling
12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Changeling,

The load is as follows:

Starline .45 Auto Rim brass
255 grain Keith SWC (cast by Mount Baldy Bullets)
6.5 grains Unique
WW LP Primer

Does about 875 fps and groups into 3" at 50 yards from my 625 Mountain Gun. Knocks a big hole, just as Elmer stated, and the animal dies very quickly. Little to no bloodshot meat from this load. I recall years ago, he said, "you can eat right up to the hole".

Thanks for the information Wayne. Elmer was right on that, only way to dine, LOL.