PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 1050

Rich219
11-28-2009, 09:44 AM
What is the going price on a used Dillon 1050, not the newer Super 1050, but the older model?

lwknight
11-28-2009, 06:17 PM
If you look on flea bay, about a hundred more than a new from dillon. Just like pawn shops.

ddeaton
11-28-2009, 09:11 PM
is the 1050 that much better than the 650?

runfiverun
11-28-2009, 11:36 PM
the 1050 is about twice the machine the 650 is.
it's built for guy's that do commercial reloading.

plumber
11-29-2009, 12:21 AM
It's worth the money just for the fact that it swages primer pockets, and primes on the upstroke. I'd love one just for .223.

ddeaton
11-29-2009, 10:14 AM
If it fixes all the 650 primer issues it would be worth it alone.

AbitNutz
11-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I would love to have a Super 1050 but I just don't load enough of a single kind of ammo to make this work for me. It is my understanding that changing calibers is not only really expensive but also very time consuming. If I were able to set it up and leave it for a single caliber I would have one.
That's why folks here are saying it is for commercial loading operations. Or, if you're a club and you go through a mountain of .223 or 9mm or whatever. Me, I have lots of different guns in lots of different calibers.

I do love the way the 1050 works though. The dies on the tool head moving down to meet the case is unique. I think all progressive reloading machines should work that way. Isn't that the way the fabled Star reloader works?

jmorris
12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
It's worth the money just for the fact that it swages primer pockets, and primes on the upstroke. I'd love one just for .223.

It primes on the down stroke all of the other dillons prime on the up stroke. Speed is what makes it worth the money but only if you load a lot. Here is an example http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=1050.flv

The last non super 1050 for sale I noticed, the guy wanted $1300.

runfiverun
12-04-2009, 12:36 AM
that video splains it all in about 15 seconds.

jmorris
12-05-2009, 09:37 AM
that video splains it all in about 15 seconds.

Well not everything. Even with eight stations there is still no place to trim to length so I don’t have to adjust dies I have a separate tool head for a 650 and size and trim on the 650 then into the hopper for the 1050.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/trimmer.jpg

Adam10mm
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm figuring out the lube/size/trim deal myself. Trying to sell my 550 so I can get an automated 650 w/ case feeder and have a head setup to process .223 and .308 brass, then load on the 1050 without having to mess with lube.

What are you running for lube? I used HOS up until I got an '06 stuck LAMF, got pissed and just threw the sizing die in the trash. I absolutely hate loading rifle simply due to having to lube it, but I can make money on it so I put up with it.

Russ in WY
12-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Don't want mess with lubing bottle neck rifle cases . Try the Lee Collet dies, have used them in several diff cartridges with great luck. I have a couple custom made wildcat dies also fm Lee. All work great. My 2¢. Russ.

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Okay, I'll give you a hundred bucks for that junky old 550, plus shipping!

Seriously, I would be interested in buying it if we can get a number we both can live with.

Rich

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2009, 07:58 AM
the problem a guy runs into is you want to trim after sizing. What i do is keep a seperate case feeder tube for lubed cases and run about a 1000 of them through the lock and load first sizing and depriming with a small base die and reprime. Then station two i leave empty and station three i use my dillon trimmer. I then run them in the tubler to get the lube off. then i run them back through and just set up the seating die and the powder measure and charge and seat bullets. My buddy has 1050s 650s and a 550 and hes found no better way either. He does his first step on the 1050 so he can swadge primer pockets on first time used brass but thats the only thing he varys from the way i do it. when have crimped pockets. I just go through the work of sizing depriming then swadging. then i just start over again and resize and prime trim and clean.
I'm figuring out the lube/size/trim deal myself. Trying to sell my 550 so I can get an automated 650 w/ case feeder and have a head setup to process .223 and .308 brass, then load on the 1050 without having to mess with lube. until someone comes up with a press thats actually set up for the trimmer and a set of carbide dies i dont see any better way. Lube wize i use a tub on anhydrous lanolin that i bought to make felix lube. I mix it about 25 percent by volume with isopropyl alchohol and put a pile of cases in a box and spray them well and mix them around with my hands and dump them in the feeder. At the end of loading about a 1000 i pull the case feeder down and clean it well.

What are you running for lube? I used HOS up until I got an '06 stuck LAMF, got pissed and just threw the sizing die in the trash. I absolutely hate loading rifle simply due to having to lube it, but I can make money on it so I put up with it.

jmorris
12-07-2009, 10:02 AM
What are you running for lube?

I use the Dillon spray lube on both rifle and pistol cases then post load tumble to get it off.

Adam10mm
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't want mess with lubing bottle neck rifle cases . Try the Lee Collet dies, have used them in several diff cartridges with great luck. I have a couple custom made wildcat dies also fm Lee. All work great. My 2¢. Russ.
Trouble is I'm loading for others I need to size more than just the neck. If I was loading for my gun I would neck size for sure. We size for headspace.

the problem a guy runs into is you want to trim after sizing. What i do is keep a seperate case feeder tube for lubed cases and run about a 1000 of them through the lock and load first sizing and depriming with a small base die and reprime. Then station two i leave empty and station three i use my dillon trimmer. I then run them in the tubler to get the lube off. then i run them back through and just set up the seating die and the powder measure and charge and seat bullets. My buddy has 1050s 650s and a 550 and hes found no better way either. He does his first step on the 1050 so he can swadge primer pockets on first time used brass but thats the only thing he varys from the way i do it. when have crimped pockets. I just go through the work of sizing depriming then swadging. then i just start over again and resize and prime trim and clean.
I wouldn't mind swaging on the press, but if I can get it already sized and trimmed off the loading press, so when I get around to running the 1050 I basically run it like carbide pistol and not have to worry about anything. That's my only gripe. I'm sitting on about 30,000 pieces of .223 brass right now and thinking of having to lube and size all those makes me cringe. If I had an efficient way of doing it I would. Seems like the only solution is to lube/size/trim off the press.

Was figuring on using some spray type lube, like a shake and bake type deal in the tub, then dump the brass in the case feed hopper and let it rip. Getting an auto drive for the "processing" press means I can leave it run while I lube the next batch of brass or let it run while I'm loading on the 1050. When the brass stops dropping, fill the hopper and just let it run on its own. Worse case is I spend a weekend processing .223 and .308 brass on the processing press in large batches then I'm done for a while. Trying to figure out a way that is efficient and doesn't cost a lot of money.

I use the Dillon spray lube on both rifle and pistol cases then post load tumble to get it off.
Do you think it works better than HOS? Is is available in jugs or just little bottles?

jmorris
12-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm sitting on about 30,000 pieces of .223 brass right now and thinking of having to lube and size all those makes me cringe. If I had an efficient way of doing it I would. Seems like the only solution is to lube/size/trim off the press.

Ok, thats a lot to do at once. I would put the trimmer on the 1050 at that point and let the auto drive take care of it.

Do you think it works better than HOS? Is is available in jugs or just little bottles?

I don't know what HOS is but the Dillon lube works just as good as the others I have tried and comes off faster in the tumbler than any of them. It goes a long way it only takes 2-3 squirts per hopper full.

Adam10mm
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Ok, thats a lot to do at once. I would put the trimmer on the 1050 at that point and let the auto drive take care of it.
Business sure is picking up.[smilie=l: Starting to finally get to a production schedule and load one caliber for a solid week straight before I swap out for another one. Load during the week, inspect and pack on the weekend, then ship out on Monday.

I don't know what HOS is but the Dillon lube works just as good as the others I have tried and comes off faster in the tumbler than any of them. It goes a long way it only takes 2-3 squirts per hopper full.
HOS is Hornady One Shot.

ANeat
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Freak I always used the Dillon lube when I did 223 on the 1050. Never had a stuck case. Im pretty sure I could do 5k to 7k on one bottle of lube.
I had a big plastic tub I would dump some brass in, spray on some lube and roll em around a bit

You can probably process 2k+ an hour on the 1050 (Deprime/Swage/Trim)

Then tumble clean to remove the lube.

I processed about 5 flat rate boxes of 223 over a few days like that

Adam10mm
12-08-2009, 10:53 PM
So figure I should just buy a case of the Dillon lube to process all this .223 brass then? I was in the basement and found another 18 gallon tub of brass that I forgot about. There's about 11,000 pieces in each tub then I got another 3,000 in the mail today. Figuring on 150lbs per tub filled to the top I've got about 600lbs of .223 brass. Looks like I need to hire a midget and feed it Red Bull.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Freakshow%20Mfg/PC070204.jpg

ANeat
12-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Ya gotta lube em with something

jmorris
12-09-2009, 09:55 AM

HOS is Hornady One Shot.

I have an almost full can of One Shot, I guess I was just to lazy to chunk it in the trash. You should try the Dillon lube.

Adam10mm
12-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Will do, thanks guys.

deltaenterprizes
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
If you read the ingredients on the side of the bottle of Dillon spray lube it says 10% lanolin and alcohol. Bag Balm is lanolin and 190 proof Everclear is close to 100% alcohol make your own and drink the leftover Everclear! You should be able to find denatured alcohol at hardware stores and Lowes or Home Depot etc.
One of my mentors mixed anhydrous lanolin with mineral spirits because if provided a touch more lubrication and also added the mineral spirits in with the tumbling media.
There are companies that do brass processing that sizes, deprimes check for cracks and ream the primer pockets.
The company is call is Scharch or Scherer know that it is not spelled right but if you have a list of exhibitors at the SHOT Show from previous years or the one in January they should be listed.

Adam10mm
12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Scherer makes magazines. Scharch Mfg makes brass processing machines and sells Top Brass brand brass.

Adam10mm
12-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Called Scharch Mfg and minimum run is 100,000 pieces of brass. But they'd sell me my own processing machine for $28,000.