PDA

View Full Version : Wetherby Vangard

No_1
05-14-2006, 01:48 PM
I was thinking of getting one of these in .223 from Wally-world. Any advice? I think it is the mauser style action (I think). Any advice? Should I choose the Rem or Savage instead? Please offer any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

mooman76
05-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I had one in 300 Weatherby. I only bought it because it was a good deal. The pearson that had it didn't like paying $52 a box for shells. It is in the mauser action I liked it allot but didn't have much use for it so I traded for a S&W 44 mag that I shoot allot more! I later bought a Savage 7mm Mag. because it was clearanced at $250 but it rang up at $180 so I made out like a bandit. I think any one of those choices would be good but if there isn't much price differance I would go with the Weatherby. By the way the Vangaurd is a Weatherby but it is more like a cheaper no frills model but still a very good gun!

RugerFan
05-14-2006, 07:47 PM
A friend of mine bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06. I watched him shoot it with factory ammo and it grouped like minute-of-coffee can at 100 yards. I was not impressed. I'm not crazy about the 90 degree bolt throw either. I've heard mixed reviews, but overall I think more than half gave it a thumbs down. For quality and value, I vote for Remington.

milkman
05-14-2006, 09:11 PM
No. 1
I Bought A Vanguard In 30-06 Last Year (mfg By Howa In Japan) With The Hope Of Making A Cast Bullet Gun Of It. Haven't Had A Whole Lot Of Luck Yet. The Barrel Slugged At .311,, I Sent It Back To Weatherby, They Sent It Back To Me With A Note Saying They Had A Spec For Minimum Diameter But No Spec For Max. And Wished Me The Best Of Luck.

I'd Go With The Remington First And The Savage If Price Matters At All.

Bodydoc447
05-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I am contemplating a Stevens 200 in .223. They are pretty inexpensive but seem to have all the Savage 110 accuracy. Wally World would order you one for less than $300 last time I checked.

Doc

Scrounger
05-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I was thinking of getting one of these in .223 from Wally-world. Any advice? I think it is the mauser style action (I think). Any advice? Should I choose the Rem or Savage instead? Please offer any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

The only trouble with WalMart is that their disributors (they have only two, Sports South and Lipseys) are ALWAYS out of stock on the more popular guns/calibers. I had to find one at another dealers, but I did get a decent deal on it. And now my plans have changed and I won't be needing it. So if you need one, I can send you mine, new in box, unfired, for $300 out the door. And speaking of Weatherby/Vanguard/Howa, I have one brand new in box in .30-06 caliber for $325 shipped. Both for $600.

Bass Ackward
05-15-2006, 04:31 PM
No. 1
I Bought A Vanguard In 30-06 Last Year (mfg By Howa In Japan) With The Hope Of Making A Cast Bullet Gun Of It. Haven't Had A Whole Lot Of Luck Yet. The Barrel Slugged At .311

Milkman,

That is strange. But if you measure your bore, it should still be .300. What that means is that you have .0055 tall rifling. My wife's will shoot 14 BHN at 2900 fps and still hold less than 2". Are you using hard lead?

No_1
05-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for your offer. I will respectfully decline. After searching the internet today I have decided to do more research before the purchase of a .223 bolt gun.

Robert

The only trouble with WalMart is that their disributors (they have only two, Sports South and Lipseys) are ALWAYS out of stock on the more popular guns/calibers. I had to find one at another dealers, but I did get a decent deal on it. And now my plans have changed and I won't be needing it. So if you need one, I can send you mine, new in box, unfired, for $300 out the door. And speaking of Weatherby/Vanguard/Howa, I have one brand new in box in .30-06 caliber for $325 shipped. Both for $600.

S.R.Custom
05-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Pass on the Weatherby Vanguard. At least in .223 (I have one.) While accuracy is outstanding (1/2 MOA or less if I do my part), the firing pin spring (some call it the "striker spring") is waaaay to weak for anything more than midrange .223 Rem loads (excessive cratering and pierced primers).

I ordered a stiffer spring from Wolff, but the one they sent was not for the current generation of manufacture; they don't have one for the current Vanguard .223. I'm currently evaluating the offerings from Century Spring in an effort to find something that will stand up to mil-spec loads...

If you are at all serious about the .223/5.56, you know the best performance and accuracy comes from the use of CCI #41 primers and prodigious amounts of H335 (WC844), and the Howa/Weatherby Vanguard just doesn't cut it.

Do a Savage and don't look back. I have a Savage in 7mm mag and .308, and have absolutely no issues with them whatsoever, and accuracy is every bit what I hoped it would be.

Bucks Owin
05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Gee, I might as well jump in too.

Go with "The Rifleman's Rifle" and find a Model 70 Winchester. (ANY vintage!) Check the bedding and be happy ever after. IMO, Winchester's barrels are a cut above the others and the trigger can be adjusted down to be as good as anyone else's too...

The Weatherby? A Mark-V or nothing and then you're paying too much! There are better high priced rifles IMO....

Dennis