PDA

View Full Version : RCBS sizing die question

parkergunz
11-27-2009, 10:38 PM
I recently ordered a RCBS sizing die , .454. When I went to drop it in my Lyman 450 it would not fully seat. I called the the seller. They sent me a new one and I returned the first. The same problem that I had with the first was still still there. I measured the diameter of the barrel of the die and it was .704 as opposed to my other RCBS dies which are .698-.697. Has RCBS changed their sizing dies so that they will not fit Lyman lubrisizers ? :killingpc

Any thoughts ?

beagle
11-27-2009, 10:51 PM
We ran into a problem with RCBS sizers a year or so ago but they still fit in the #450 Lyman sizers.

RCBS was making them with a ring up under the rounded retaining groove that ran over .700" by a pretty good amount. It ran for about 1/8" down the sizer. We decided that this might be to insure a tighter fit in their sizers.

We were using them in an adapter for nose first sizers and the internal dimensions on the adapter were .700" and they refused to fully seat.

Out solution was to chuck them in a lathe and grind that portion to the point where they fit.

We encountered three like that in our accumulation of sizers which was about 150+.

This would cause what you are describing./beagle

parkergunz
11-27-2009, 11:03 PM
beagle

Sounds exactly like what I have. Thank's for the info !