View Full Version : lee classic cast turret

hiram
11-27-2009, 07:06 PM
I just got the press. It is set up and ready to go. There is no slop in the ram. The question is, when raised or lowered, there feels a little extra resistance felt when thr top 2 inches (up to the ring) enters or exits the press. The rest of the travel is smooth and easy.

Anybody else have this? Anything to worry about?

Thanks

dragonrider
11-27-2009, 08:09 PM
IIRC that press has a 1.25" ram, pretty hefty, but it is possible that it is bent, Remove the ram and check it for straightness.

geargnasher
11-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Is that with the turret plate out? Don't know if this is the problem you're having, but I found on mine that the square hole in the bottom of the die plate was too tight for the square nut on the end of the index rod and there was considerable binding there. I ended up taking the rod and lapping it into the die plate with valve grinding compound to free it up.

Gear

Bullshop Junior
11-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Mine did it when I got it. Fix? Take out the auto index deal.

hiram
11-27-2009, 11:58 PM
The feeling I am getting is with the auto index rod out.

cajun shooter
11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Have you checked the small square plastic bushing? They provide a extra with the press and when I got mine it had the same thing but worked itself out. I have 4 presses and find myself using the Lee instead of my Dillon 550.

Storydude
11-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Mine did the exact same thing. I put some chassis grease on the ram and after about 300-500 rnds it freed right up. :)

hiram
11-28-2009, 07:43 PM
I lubed it up and will use it and see what happens.

I tried taking the ram out. Lee doesn't provide documentation and a web search did not help. Maybe the press is constructed so you can't take the ram out????

abunaitoo
12-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Send Lee an email with your problem.
When I got my Lee Classic Cast it wasn't smooth going all the way up.
Sent them an email and they sent me some new lever sleeves and clamps.
Seems they had a problem with the wrong sleeves being installed.
I replaced them and all was good.
Give them a call, if you can get through. I tried, but could never get through. That's why I emailed them.

dudel
12-13-2009, 08:16 PM
I lubed it up and will use it and see what happens.

I tried taking the ram out. Lee doesn't provide documentation and a web search did not help. Maybe the press is constructed so you can't take the ram out????

Lee's documentation (such as it is) is quite poor. To remove the indexing rod, start with the ram at the bottom. Slowly raise the ram and twist the turret till it gets to the release point. Then pull the turret up and out. You should then be able to pull the indexing rod out. It's easier if the twisted part of the indexing rod is above the plastic part that holds it.

Another thing they don't tell you, is not to turn the turret while the ram is fully lowered. You can end up stripping the small plastic square ratchet.

HTH

NitrousVa
12-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Hiram, I have the same problem, the top of the ram wants to move slightly to the side at the top or bottom of the travel.

I think I'm gonna email them too.