PDA

View Full Version : Ragging Bull disapointment

Dogg
11-27-2009, 05:57 PM
I am asking for advise from you all on this. Got my Ragging Bull about a week and half ago. Finally got out to see how it shoots. Since I don't have any .454 ammo I was shooting .45 colt, with 11.2gr AA5 under a cast 255 grain rfn internet bought bullet. At 30yd from the bench it was all over the place,12 inch spreads. After some highly express comments I noticed the rear sight move up and down on its own, very loose.
Question, should I try to shim it? Should I try to find an after market sight to replace it? Or should I contact Taurus for repair. I will admit to a bit of heitancy about sending something back to the factory because of loooong waits and sometimes no noticable result. And don't know if any aftermarket rear sights are available that I can afford.

WHAT DO I DO??????????

Dogg

duke76
11-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Taurus has a lifetime warranty , send it back let them deal with it, Todd

dubber123
11-27-2009, 06:26 PM
If you can fix it yourself, do so. Taurus' warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on in my opinion. If you do send it in, be aware you may have a 3 month wait, and your gun back with no repair, and some bonus scratches and gouges. You will get a nice form letter though.

Heavy lead
11-27-2009, 06:37 PM
No-ones warranty is worth a ****. Better to fix it yourself, take the sight off and figure out why it is all over. It's been awhile since I've had a Taurus, so I can't remember exactly how the sight is oriented, but you should be able to figure it out rather than wait months to get the gun back.

Dogg
11-27-2009, 06:39 PM
I just found in another forum someone saying they thought the rear sight was the same as the S&W large frame sight. Can anyone verify that?

scb
11-27-2009, 07:36 PM
If you do attempt to fix it yourself, and something else goes wrong or this issue deteriorates further, you will have given Taurus an excuse to not honor their responsibility.

azrednek
11-27-2009, 07:57 PM
I suggest you make a phone call to Taurus. I had a different problem, called Taurus and a few days later they sent me a part no charge. Don't know if things have changed but I learned unfortunately the hard way to not say anything about using reloads. My problem with reloads wasn't with Taurus but Colt way back in the 70's. Somewhere in the fine print Taurus' warranty might be void if you shot it with reloads. Taurus will ask you what kind of ammo you were using. I suggest you lie and tell them you used a name brand.

mtnman31
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I can't see your pistol, but there should be a spring under the sight that keeps it pressed up against the underside of the adjustment screw - if that makes any sense. It sounds like it is missing the spring. If you try and fix it yourself, which is pretty easy, be carefull when you remove the elevation screw. There are two tiny detent balls which are easily lost. If you lose the detent balls, the sight will not have positive "clicks" as you adjust it up and down - I speak from experience. I found a vendor on fleabay that had a detent ball kit that had a large variety of balls and sizes for MUCH cheaper than Brownells or Numrich. I'd suggest checking out what the cause of the problem is and then calling Taurus and let them send you the part to fix it yourself. Saves you the time and hassle of sending it off.

scrapcan
11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Good luck with having taurus send you parts. I have a brand new in box M94 22lr that I am waiting for a set of springs. I think we are on almost 8 months. I would not own an other piece of taurus junk.

As stated earlier your warranty return may just get the firearm a ride around the country with no repair in the end. two broken springs made the roudn trip and all that happened was a letter saying it was within spec came home with it.

Bad customer service and warranty service was worse.

Dogg
11-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Hopefully the problem is fixed. I made a shim from a soda can that has tightened it up perfectly. Also stretched the spring under the sight a bit to give a bit more pressure (I hope). So far it seems to be working.
Dogg

tackstrp
12-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I somewhat agree with the negitive comments about tarus wheel guns. I purchased a 8 3/8 inch model 608 used. So if it blows up, not a big $ loss like, a S&W or a ruger which are far superior IMO>
So I agree about warreny not worth much. A year ago I ordered a safety lock key. Still on back order per last phone call. Weee. what fun.

Marlin Hunter
12-04-2009, 02:05 PM
If you can fix it yourself, do so. Taurus' warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on in my opinion. If you do send it in, be aware you may have a 3 month wait, and your gun back with no repair, and some bonus scratches and gouges. You will get a nice form letter though.

+ 100

A friend send a revolver to Taurus for a locked up cylinder. He got the gun back after maybe 4 months. It was returned in the same shipping box that he sent it in. Under the shipping label was several other labels. The original Taurus address written directly on the box, then 2 more labels to someone in different states. It was eventually returned from an address of a gunsmith in another state. The guns cylinder rotated but was still clunky. When you buy a Taurus you are guaranteed one of three types of guns: One that shoots half way decent, One that shoots like craap, or one that is a worthless piece of sheep. :holysheep

Marlin Hunter
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I just found in another forum someone saying they thought the rear sight was the same as the S&W large frame sight. Can anyone verify that?

Taurus was originally owned by Smith&Wesson, or it was originally S&W and the machines and tooling were sold to a company called Taurus. S&W had set up the company to manufacture and sell guns to the Brazilian government. When the contract was up, they sold the equipment. That is why they look and exactly like a S&W. There is a good chance that the S&W sight will fit your Taurus, but since yours is a new model, there is no guarantee. Check on the "williams sights" website and see if the number for your gun matches any other guns.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

Changeling
12-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I am asking for advise from you all on this. Got my Ragging Bull about a week and half ago. Finally got out to see how it shoots. Since I don't have any .454 ammo I was shooting .45 colt, with 11.2gr AA5 under a cast 255 grain rfn internet bought bullet. At 30yd from the bench it was all over the place,12 inch spreads. After some highly express comments I noticed the rear sight move up and down on its own, very loose.
Question, should I try to shim it? Should I try to find an after market sight to replace it? Or should I contact Taurus for repair. I will admit to a bit of heitancy about sending something back to the factory because of loooong waits and sometimes no noticable result. And don't know if any aftermarket rear sights are available that I can afford.

WHAT DO I DO??????????

Dogg

Feel sorry for you buddy, but if it was me and I almost made the same mistake on something else, I would either get my money back or sell it. Then buy something with a quality history wrapped around it made in this country. I know you might loose some money but that sure as Hell beats messing with it any longer. Sorry to sound so hard but sometimes it's better to suck it up and say man I made a big mistake, and get on with things.
Next time you will stop and think as I did. If someone wants to see this another way on your post, sell it to them or try. Good luck.

I should add that I didn't read but a couple of responses to you post, than I just saw "RED" and replied.