PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 bullets in Mosine Nagant

omgb
05-14-2006, 09:09 AM
OK, so I bought a whole case (900 rounds) of CZ surplus yellow tipped 7.62X54R ammo dated 1952. Usually, it goes bang when the trigger is pulled. I think it set me back maybe $60 with shipping. Any way, I wanted a lighter load to plink with and hit on the following idea. I bought one of those Lee Group Moulds a while back that casts a 118-120 grain bullet. Since it drops 6 little gems at a time I've got a buttload of the little buggers all lubed and ready to go. In my BLR they work splendiferously so I figured (here I go again thinking) why not use thme in some of that CZ surp? I just pull the slug, catch the powder, add some RL7 or 2400, seat the new bullet and have at it. Sound reasonable to you guys? Any clue as to how much RL7 or 2400 to use? I would imagine that with 2400 I could use maybe 24 grains or so without a problem, certainly I could use 18 grains. I'm not too sure where to start with RL7 though. Any ideas? I know I'm going to have to resize the slugs. I was thinking that running them through a .312 die would do the trick. They are at .314 right now. The old MN I've got slugs at .311 so maybe .314 would work fine as it is. Whada think?:castmine:

versifier
05-14-2006, 10:40 AM
The only way to find out is to try them. I'd size some smaller too, just to see what happens to your group sizes. Please let us know how they shoot. I think you're in the right range with the 2400 loads.

Jack Stanley
05-15-2006, 09:13 PM
I think I'd start with the 2400 powder and as large a bullet size that will fit in the throat . If .314 will fit , have at it and see what it does . If the bullet were heavier , I may be inclined to use the RL-7 first .

Jack

Buckshot
05-18-2006, 04:49 AM
...........The littel boolit doesn't weight very much, and I doubt it will seat out to catch any lands, so pressure building may be nil. This is just me, but I owuld suggest starting with a faster powder like something between 231 and maybe Unique? Say start with 5.0grs and go from there?

Just an idea.

..................Buckshot

omgb
05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
I think I've got some Unique so I may give that a try. I suppose I should also add that these cases are steel. I'm none to sure how this is all going to work out given the cases and all. So, I'll load up some rounds with 2400 and some with Unique and give it a go.

StarMetal
05-18-2006, 08:39 AM
As some of you may know I've cut a three cavity mould on my lathe for my 30 Lugers. It's a truncated cone nose design with one lube groove. Being my 30 Lugers (I have four of different brands) grooves run from .308 to .311, so I cut the mould to drop the bullets fat. Well they did come out fat and that's ok because they shoot good in my pistols. I just tried some in my little 7.65 Argentine carbine over a very light load of Clays International at 25 yards for a test. I loaded 10 and shot them into a very very small group at that close distance. Looks like it will shoot them pretty good. They weigh 100 grs on the button.

Joe

JeffinNZ
05-18-2006, 06:26 PM
If you can wait a couple of months I'll tell you.

I have a M44 on the way and will be running a bucket load of expermental loads through it using Lyman 311008, 311366 and a Lee 3 groove RN plus some heavy weight bullets also.

For reference my .303 likes a 311008 over 11gr of H4227 for rimfire velocities. A grain or 2 extra for the additional case capacity in a 7.62 x 54 will do the same I would like to speculate.

Larry Gibson
05-20-2006, 01:44 PM
I think I've got some Unique so I may give that a try. I suppose I should also add that these cases are steel. I'm none to sure how this is all going to work out given the cases and all. So, I'll load up some rounds with 2400 and some with Unique and give it a go.

You may have to push that lighter bullet too fast for 2400 to work well. I'm not sure that is a GC'd bullet or not. If not a GC I'd suggest starting at 7 gr of Unique and working up to 10 gr. If a GC work up to 12 gr of Unique. Also if not a GC bullet you might want to try Bullseye, work up from 5 to 8 gr. If the bullet is non GC'd you will find happiness around 1400-1600 fps depending on the alloy. If GC'd then you might get good accuracy upwards of 1800-1900 fps.

If you can chamber a round with the .314 sized bullet in it use it. The MN (some Finns excepted) have a throat that tapers from the outside of the chamber neck to the lead. Using as large a bullet as posible (especially shorter bullets like yours) makes for better accuracy in the MNs.

Larry Gibson