PDA

View Full Version : Mold prep?

AbitNutz
11-27-2009, 05:41 PM
I just got my new HP .45 mold from MP Molds. It is quite something. It is 200 grains and has two style HP pins, 5 sided and round. It also came with a RCBS/Lyman style top punch.

I haven't cast for quite a while. In fact, I would say 15 years...I remember I used to have some sort of "mold prep". It looked like a graphite liquid and was cleverly labeled "Mold Prep". Go figure...anyway. I can't find it.

What's the best thing to use now and where do I get it?

This is a brass mold. I've never owned one made of that material nor a HP point cramer style. I have numerous Iron and aluminum molds from single cavity Lee's to 6 cavity H&G's. RCBS, Lyman Saeco, NEI..many different manufactures.
Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'm not sure if it being brass I should treat it differently, mold prep, pre-heat, etc. I also don't have any idea what the best method to cast with a Cramer style.

Should I use "Bull Plate" sprue and pin lubricant on the Cramer pins where they pass through the mold block?

How do I tap the bullets out? This thing is almost too pretty to use...

geargnasher
11-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I would advise to thoroughly degrease with hot soap and water or brake cleaner, blow competly dry with compressed air if you have it, and just use a trace of Bullplate on the moving parts but keep it out of the cavities. Others may disagree, but I find, like most somewhat experienced casters do, that CLEAN is king and anything like smoke, release agent, etc. in the cavities create more issues than they solve.

Bullplate on the bottom of the sprueplate and top of the mould is a good idea, you'll get craters in the boolit bases but it will go away after a few pours.

Keep that mould and pins HOT! That means preheat it up to casting temp or you may battle it a bit getting the boolits off the pins. And remember that Brass conducts heat far better than steel or iron and heats and cools very quickly, so good rhythm helps boolit consistency.

Gear

AbitNutz
11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I recall having some molds that really liked "Mold Prep" and others...not so much. It seems like every mold is its own rule. Vary almost anything, alloy, temp...mood lighting and it's like a different mold.

dromia
11-28-2009, 02:49 AM
As geargnasher has said I also find that adding anything other than molten alloy to the clean cavities does nothing to help make good cast boolits.

If you feel the need for mould prep or smoking or somesuch in the cavities then I would look at the source of the problem rather than trying to treat a symptom.

Bull plate lube is the bees kness when used as advertised.

Shiloh
11-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Heed gearnashers advice, clean is king. No grease or petroleum residues. Clean with mineral spirits, camp fuel or Zippo lighter fuel (Naptha) Clean again with detergent, Mr. Clean or similar. Dry thoroughly and start casting.

Shiloh

Buffalo George
12-27-2009, 06:59 PM
FWIW

I take my new molds and boil them in hot water and dish soap for about 10 mins.

Rinse and let air dry (in a New York Minute)

Squeeky clean

Buff George

JSnover
12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Tap the boolits out by lightly rapping the handle pivot bolt, NOT the mold blocks, with a non-metallic object (wood stick/board, screwdriver handle...)

chasw
01-05-2010, 11:58 PM
I have a 2 oz bottle of Mold Prep, which I bought from Walt Melander back in the 1980s when I got my first NEI mold (El Paso). It has an NEI label that describes the contents as a "long wearing dry film micro graphite lubricant in isopropyl alcohol".

As mentioned above, these kind of release agents work well on iron molds but not aluminum, which is not porous. I can second that. The stuff is long wearing, alright, but I could never tell for sure if it made any difference in easy release of bullets. - CW

kelbro
01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Get a bottle of Lock-ease at the hardware store. Graphite suspended in alcohol. Same stuff but cheaper. It also works well in clean CM rifle barrels to keep your first shot on target.

dukenukum
01-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Mold prep is available at Dixie gun works, but I am going to try Kelbros idea. It does sound like the same stuff.

shotman
01-08-2010, 09:32 PM
you dont get it-------- KROIL------ that the best out there dont belive anything from a uk guy they drink HOT beer

HeavyMetal
01-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I have a brass mold , run from one of the group buys, and once cleaned it shucks boolits like peas from a pod!

Clean then cast with it and then decide if you want t spray something on it! I think you'll be surprised!

John Boy
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Heed gearnashers advice, clean is king.
Tis a fact and a 5% solution of Micro-90 is the product to make them squeaky clean
Free Sample? http://www.ipcol.com/shopcontent.asp?type=requestsample