PDA

View Full Version : Press Collectors/Experts - Riddle Me This

Char-Gar
11-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, my nostalga Pacific Super C press got here today and it is in excellent shape except for a missing handle. It has good original paint and it is BLACK! When did Pacific start using light blue as their color. I know before WWII Pacific presses were yellow, but this puppy is black wrinkle. Anybody want to guess as to it's age. I think the Super C was introduced in the late 40's.

I will fire up the lathe and make me a nice handle with a fat nurled end. Might as well give this old girl something special. I will make it a little longer for some more leverage, while I am at it. It take a 1/2 handled threaded on one end. Anybody want to guess it the threads are NC or NF?

I don't think these old presses ever die. It came with a later ram that uses modern shell holder heads. It even came with an RCBS #30 shell holder. Good deal for $20.00.

Mk42gunner
11-27-2009, 05:04 PM
No idea on when they switched the colors.

The handle on mine is 12" long, 5/8" diameter, with the end turned down to 1/2"for a distance of 1 1/4". Threads are 1/2-20. Threaded for 3/4".

Hope this helps.

Robert

Char-Gar
11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Robert.. That does help. I will make the handle 14 or 15 inches long for a little more leverage. Looking around the shop I found 20 inches of an old P14 .303 barrel that will get new life as the press handle. I guess I am a little wierd, but I like to see old gun scrap given a new life in the same line of work.

Dale53
11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Chargar;

>>>I guess I am a little wierd, but I like to see old gun scrap given a new life in the same line of work. <<<

Yes, you ARE weird, but in a GOOD kind of way!:mrgreen: I rather like the way you think!:drinks:

FWIW
Dale53

Catshooter
11-27-2009, 09:53 PM
$20! Yikes, that was a score. Nice work.

Cat

Box13
11-27-2009, 10:56 PM
This might help a little.I have had many pacific presses.At the moment I have one of the first c presses before they had a bracket for a primer seater arm.I also have a pacific PrO press it has the biggest ram I've ever used at 1.25 inch.I mainly use my pacific super(I have a Bair version).But lately I have been using a co-ax press I picked and am impressed with it.Here is a link to some pages with a little history of The pacific gunsight co...Robin
http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.com/History.htm

Char-Gar
11-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Box... Yep that took care of the question. The colors were changed to blue with the sale of the company and it's move to Lincoln Nebraska in 1960. This makes my press made by the original Pacific Gunsight Co. in California sometimes between 1947 and 1959.

I have given the press a good cleaning and it is in tip top condition with no wear anywhere I can find. A little dirt and a few nicks but that is all.

This things costs around $49.00 when made 50 to 60 years ago. What would that be in 2009 dollars?

For the life of me I don't understand why folks by cheap alloy or pot metal presses when these old guys are up for sale for a fraction of the price of a new *** and will give several lifetimes of service.

BTW... The Redding Turrent press handle, primer arm and pin fits these old Pacifics perfectly. I am still going to make a new handle, but for the fellow that didn't want to do that, the Redding is just the ticket. I am talking about the six hole turrent, which is the only one I have.

woody1
11-28-2009, 12:23 PM
FWIW In 1949 the Pacific Super Tool complete which includes a set of dies was listed at $36.50 in The Shooter's Bible. The Super Tool itself was $18.50.
By 1954 those prices were $49.95 and $36.45.
Regards, Woody

Pressman
11-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Pacific press colors are a bit of a mystery. There other colors besides yellow, blue and the original black. OD Green comes to mind, and the Big C was red.
Some Super C's were painted blue before 1961 when Deitmeyer took over the company. This is the old style Super C, not the Deitmeyer version.
The lugs were added to the top for the auto primer feed in 1947.
I have a nice orange Standard model with primer feed lugs and slots in the mount base. All other I have seen have two 3/8" holes.

Ken

Catshooter
11-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Chargr,

A press that cost $49 in 1948 would cost $433.64 in 2008 dollars. No figures yet for '09.

Cat