PDA

View Full Version : Don't be sqeamish!

44man
11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
This is the entrance side of my deer shot with the BFR 45-70 and Babore's boolit. The shoulder needed a lot of trimming.
The exit hole is forward of the third rib from the back, in between it and the fourth. Corn was pouring from both holes.
What do you think? Too much of a good thing maybe?

anachronism
11-27-2009, 04:00 PM
A little too much. I have to give credit where it's due, it sure seems to have impressed the doe to no end.

Hickory
11-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Corn hole deer?

shooting on a shoestring
11-27-2009, 04:18 PM
44man- How about a Hornet next time?

Bullshop Junior
11-27-2009, 04:35 PM
That's not as bad at the fox I shot with a 358 Norma Mag with a 280gr LFN at 2600 FPS.

azrednek
11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Corn hole deer?

Sure you're not from Montana??

Changeling
11-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Well a little more trimming wouldn't hurt and you dam sure won't any tenderizer, LOL.

44man
11-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Corn hole deer?
:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

BOOM BOOM
11-27-2009, 07:54 PM
HOLY ****!!!!
That's about the same blood shot meat you get with a rifle in 7mm Mag or 300 WM on deer.
Bet it dropped in its tracks.:holysheep

runfiverun
11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
if thats the entrance i'd hate to see the exit.......
entrance wounds should not look like that, they should be closer to caliber sized.
and exit wounds about a quarter to half dollar sized.
thats more like a crater caused by an asteroid.
had to use a hollowpoint didn't ya.

OutHuntn84
11-27-2009, 08:50 PM
JEEEZZZZ man next time just aim for the neck and decapitate the dang thing! lol Bet there was no track'n that doe

GLynn41
11-27-2009, 10:22 PM
GOOD GRIEF please show me B's bullet-- good on you for the deer I think?

crabo
11-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Was that the 460 GC boolit?

MtGun44
11-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Holy cow. What boolit and alloy and vel??

Bill

S.R.Custom
11-28-2009, 01:52 AM
OK, I won't be sqeamish...

Do you hunt deer to eat them, or for the simple enjoyment of blowing them up? Others might be impressed, but it seems to me to be a shameful waste of a fine animal.

44man
11-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Was that the 460 GC boolit?
No, it was a 350 gr hollow point. Meat loss was actually very small, just around the hole in the shoulder from all the corn and stuff coming out. That picture was after the shoulder was removed so there is no meat loss there. The exit was only a little larger then the boolit and was in the chest.
Velocity was around 1630 fps.
I will post a picture of his boolit later, have to pick up Whitworth, he just shot a deer with his .475 SRH conversion. I also shot a large doe this morning with my BFR .475 and came home leaving him to hunt. My deer is still in the woods. Gutted of course.

Ricochet
11-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Corn hole deer?
Maybe this ought to be moved to the thread about roping deer...

jh45gun
11-28-2009, 11:15 AM
When I shot a doe with my Remington Rolling Block using a 405 grain Lee Cast Bullet (the hollow based one that is .459) at what I hoped was around 1600 fps though it could have been slower I have no crony there was no blood shot meat to speak of. It worked great.

waksupi
11-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I consider that, bullet failure.

DragoonDrake
11-28-2009, 01:10 PM
I have only every seen damage like that on deer hit by a car. A touch too much.

44man
11-28-2009, 01:13 PM
I have only every seen damage like that on deer hit by a car. A touch too much.
I agree, I will lose the hollow point and just use a softer boolit.

GLynn41
11-28-2009, 01:24 PM
at point in the deer's demise did the bullet fail-- dead is dead we can only discuss some what the how it got there

44man
11-28-2009, 01:35 PM
at point in the deer's demise did the bullet fail-- dead is dead we can only discuss some what the how it got there
But testing must go on for the perfect balance. I like doing it too! :cbpour:I only blew the heck out of a few deer with rifles before giving them up. Muzzle loaders, arrows, even shotguns never did the nasty stuff to meat a rifle does. I do not want to go that route anymore.

Pepe Ray
11-28-2009, 01:39 PM
It's impossible for me to determine damage caused by boolet from the "surgical damage" in the picture on my screen.
However,
I don't need convincing. I've been a believer in big boolets since I was a cub.
Pepe Ray

Bucks Owin
11-28-2009, 03:26 PM
That's not as bad at the fox I shot with a 358 Norma Mag with a 280gr LFN at 2600 FPS.
Shot a fox one time dead center with a 75 gr HP Hornady in my .243 @ 3550 fps. Ended up with two pieces of fox, front and back! (And a red mist hanging in the air) "J word" boolits have their place too...;-)...Dennis

45 2.1
11-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Is there some reason you shot a HP boolit into the deers shoulder? That type normally goes somewhere else.......[smilie=b:

44man
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Is there some reason you shot a HP boolit into the deers shoulder? That type normally goes somewhere else.......[smilie=b:
Yes, she spotted me and was quartered towards me a little. A boolit should work no matter where the animal is shot. I don't want one for behind the shoulder and another for in the shoulder. That is where balance is important.
Now the deer I busted with the .475 at 50 yards went through both shoulders and did almost no meat damage. I have killed many with behind the shoulder shots with this caliber and they were just as effective. That is what I want with the 45-70.
We do not shoot food plots or ranched deer, they do not stand around waiting for the shooter to find the perfect shot. They are here one second and gone the next so we must shoot when we can. Most shots are held in small openings that the deer are going to, too thick for any old shot. We hunt in real conditions for wild deer and most are moving or ready to bolt. Most of our shots are timed in seconds, not 15 minutes to study them and wait for the perfect shot. Some of the deer I shoot are running and there will be only one tiny opening to get a shot.
You must come and show me how to pick a spot on the deer for each type of boolit. Then show how it is done on a running deer or one that is a split second from bolting.
We are hunters, not shooters. I would not have it any other way, I don't like shooting deer like a cow in the field.
When we show deer kills, it was done the hard way, a split second for the shot. I can't take a sip of coffee and turn to the camera man to ask if he sees the deer. I can't leave my bow hang and use binoculars, say it's a "shooter." The deer is there and gone.
Many of you would never kill a deer like we do, you need too much time for decisions.
We make revolvers work because we are deadly accurate and do it FAST when the time is right. The shot is gone with no thinking or long term planning. Most of my shots are done in 10 seconds or less.

GLynn41
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
nothing new about that if one hunts in a swamps as I do--last doe I shot --last year---she walked up--looked up and I shot her down -- no idea how long it took but she was only visible for a few yards where I could shoot. 41 GNR - 255LWNGC@ 1320 more is there but that is plenty -

45 2.1
11-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Ya know Jim, that post was ridiculous. What makes you think that you have it any different than anybody else. BTW, you don't need that much power to kill a deer..................

StarMetal
11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Jim,

I've hunted deer in South Central Ohio. I have never seen such timid deer in my life. I'm not going to waste my time here describing timid, but I will tell you this. One doesn't need scents, special soaps, special laundry detergents, etc. for them there. Now as for the mountain deer in my part of TN, you better believe aren't timid one iota. Takes some skills to get these deer.

Now as for cast bullets and rifles I used a 45-70 Brownchester 1886 carbine. My bullet was an AC ww RCBS 405 grain. It was like the hand of Thor swatting them down. No ruined meat and I actually recovered one bullet from a 200 yard shot big doe. My best buck was a 10 point that went over 252 pounds on the hoof. My favorite shot are for the neck. That big buck took his medicine through the heart behind the shoulder shot.

Joe

44man
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Ya know Jim, that post was ridiculous. What makes you think that you have it any different than anybody else. BTW, you don't need that much power to kill a deer..................
Well, you are right. I base too much on the silly hunting shows and I do know real hunters have it the same way as I do. Just trying to say a shot needs to be taken when it presents itself.
No I don't need the power but I use a different gun for each deer and might go to the .44 for the next one. And then maybe the cap and ball.
But I just love the .475, it is just so perfect. If I could only own one revolver, this would be the one. I get quick kills with less meat damage and do not have to worry about where I shoot as long as I keep shots forward of the diaphragm so I don't make a mess.
But then I can say that about the .44 too! [smilie=s:

Nora
12-02-2009, 03:06 AM
Jeez 44, think you need a little less cowbell. I've hunted 12 gauge slug for years and not seen a mess like that. :holysheep

Who's got the bread? There's plenty of jelly to go around!

Nora.

44man
12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Jeez 44, think you need a little less cowbell. I've hunted 12 gauge slug for years and not seen a mess like that. :holysheep

Who's got the bread? There's plenty of jelly to go around!

Nora.
I know but I was having a tough time killing deer with the 45-70 and hard cast so I got drastic with a softer boolit and hollow point.
Now any hole in an animal will have a lot of blood seep between muscles, etc, but to have corn come out of an entrance hole when the stomach was not hit means a lot of force was expended inside. The exit hole was not much larger then the entrance hole and it also had corn coming out of it. [smilie=l: Funny the deer showed no reaction to the hit and ran about 40 yards or so. So much for the energy dump theory.
Now the deer shot with the .475 with hard cast went straight up, kicked her legs and went a shorter distance but had far less meat damage. The neighbor ladies that helped cut her up did not even trim around the holes. I gave them the deer.
Anyway, NOTHING in a revolver is too big for hunting, it depends on what the boolit does.

12glocks
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I for one appreciate the information as I am still learning. Overkill is certainly better than underkill.

I have been looking at the BRP moulds (as well as RCBS and Saeco) myself so I would be interested to learn more about the boolit, alloy, and size of the HP. I was personally considering a cup point in my 45-70 so the meplat would get a little fatter after hitting the "target." I am guessing I don't need it now.

45 2.1
12-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Funny the deer showed no reaction to the hit and ran about 40 yards or so. So much for the energy dump theory. Another silly hunting show explanation? Anyone who has shot enough deer will have this happen to them, especially those deer that have been excited quite a bit as you said these were.
Now the deer shot with the .475 with hard cast went straight up, kicked her legs and went a shorter distance but had far less meat damage. The neighbor ladies that helped cut her up did not even trim around the holes. I gave them the deer.
Anyway, NOTHING in a revolver is too big for hunting, it depends on what the boolit does and where it was put by the shooter.

44man
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Funny the deer showed no reaction to the hit and ran about 40 yards or so. So much for the energy dump theory. Another silly hunting show explanation? Anyone who has shot enough deer will have this happen to them, especially those deer that have been excited quite a bit as you said these were.
Anyway, NOTHING in a revolver is too big for hunting, it depends on what the boolit does and where it was put by the shooter.
Thanks for adding that at the end. Very true. Both of my deer were hit in almost the same spot on the shoulder. Two different reactions. Less reaction from a soft expanding boolit at a higher velocity, more reaction from a hard, slower yet heavier boolit.
Whitworth will soon have his .50 Linebaugh to try. Yeah---ANTI TANK! :bigsmyl2:

Whitworth
12-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Yup, big, heavy and slow -- oh, and effective as hell! Hopefully we'll be able to blood the .500 this season.

Frank
12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a question. Did you guys make the shots sitting in the stand?

Whitworth
12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I did, and it was unsupported (none of our stands have a shooting rail) and offhand.

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2009, 07:50 AM
ive shot a few animals with cast hps up to the size of a buffalo with 4570s and 500 linebaughs. they definately have there limitations. Personaly i think hps do there best work in smaller callibers like the 41s and 44s. What i use them for anymore in the big bores is reduced veloicity deer and bear hunting loads. Even at that there no better then a jacketed hp. Fun to play with though.