PDA

View Full Version : .452 heavy(er) full wadcutters.

Andy Griffith
11-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I've been looking for a while now, but can't seem to find the mould I want.

I'd like to find a mould that throws a full wadcutter for .45 Colt in the 250-285grn range. I've used and tried some of the Penn bullets 270grn Thunderheads and they shoot great for me, but I'd like to be able to cast something similar myself.

I have heard that Saeco has a special order mould in this range, but can't find anything about it, and would like to see what it has for grease grooves before I order it.

Is there anyone currently making a mould like what I'm looking for, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Heck, while I'm at it, a 170-180 grn full heavy wadcutter for the .357 wouldn't be too bad either. ;-)
The Thunderheads made by Penn in .358 are just too heavy for my uses. They've had productions suspended on them for quite some time anyway.

Hardcast416taylor
11-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Andy. Go on NEIHANDTOOLS.COM then go on their online catalog. Click on page 10, #284B is a Paul Schrader design full WC. Then click on page 11, #295 that is a .454 - 220 WC or #297 is .454 - 225 Bevel Base wad cutter. I didn`t search their .358 design wad cutters, but am sure they have different designs.Robert:cbpour:

muzzleblast
11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
NEI shows a 272 grain .45 cal. full wadcutter with beveled base. neihandtools.com
They can cut the mold with plain base if you prefer.

Ballist-icast #657 175 grain may be what you are looking for in a heavy .38 cal. FWC. ballisti-cast.com

markinalpine
11-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Or you can go to Mountain Molds and roll your own. :bigsmyl2:

Mark :mrgreen:

EDK
11-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Go to group buys and see if the NIGHT OWL ENTERPRISES group buy is still open or if you can get addded to it. I have a 250 grain 45 wadcutter ordered.

The SAECO you mentioned is in the MIDWAYUSA catalog as a special order; likewise at GRAFS'.

A full wadcutter in 44 makes some unmistakable holes in things. I've got a 200 and a 250 grainer. The thought of full wadcutters in a 625 Smith & Wesson has a lot of possibilities.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

azrednek
11-27-2009, 11:35 PM
I have the Saeco 45 full wadcutter and it drops apx 225. It is a good shooter in 45 AR. I used a dealer link from Redding's website and got the mould right away without special ordering.

That is the Saeco second from bottom. On the bottom is a discontinued Lee.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/crimp-2.gif

Sorry I couldn't get clearer pictures.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/wad-2.gif
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/wad-1.gif

Keith DVM
11-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Veral Smith who has the LBT molds makes a 45 caliber ogive wad cutter of 260 grains. I have one but have no way of showing pictures. I believe this is very close to what you are looking for.
Keith DVM

Andy Griffith
11-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Veral Smith who has the LBT molds makes a 45 caliber ogive wad cutter of 260 grains. I have one but have no way of showing pictures. I believe this is very close to what you are looking for.
Keith DVM

This sound good too.

The group buy was closed and I couldn't get in on it.

yondering
11-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Check out this thread by user "stephen" (not sure why the thread title is weird): http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56552&highlight=wadcutter

These are more like a traditional boolit, where a large portion of the boolit is outside the case, but in a wadcutter shape. If you're wanting heavy wadcutter loads, this would be much more appropriate than the traditional wadcutter designs shown above.

If you're going for light loads with a heavy weight wadcutter, the POI is going to be pretty high. Cranking up the velocity will bring POI back down.

Andy Griffith
12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
That is exactly what I want!

I saw one a while back and wanted it...but never could find another and didn't know what it was called!!!

[smilie=w:

At least now I know what I want!