PDA

View Full Version : Rust removal

7br
05-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Short question: Should and how to remove rust from my dad's recently recovered toy car? Still quite a bit of metal underneath the rust. Pics attached

Long story: When my father was about 8, he recieved this toy truck for a present. His younger brother got upset with him and took it out and buried it. After about a week, his younger brother fessed up, but couldn't remember where he buried it. Fast forward 65 years later, Dad is feeding one of his coon hounds and sees something in the edge of a hole the dog had dug.

RayinNH
05-13-2006, 10:15 PM
7br, I think I'd leave it alone. If you remove the rust it may just crumble. At this stage it still looks like a truck, remove the rust and who knows. You might spray on some sort of preservative though. A good dose of laquer spray?...Ray

versifier
05-13-2006, 10:18 PM
If there's still plenty of metal, electrolysis might be the way to go. It has rescued many moulds believed to be totaled at first glance.

redneckdan
05-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Go out and git yer self a big ol batch of fresh dropped black walnuts. Get a big metal tub, set her over a fire pit and fill with water then boil da hell outta da walnuts. No need to peel off the hulls, throw the whole dang thing in. This is a recipe for boilin traps. Through in the toy and boil fer a couple hours. I stumbled 'cross this accidently when my girlfriend asked me fer a handful o rusty nails. Didn't ask what she was doin at the time, but they came back a week later all shiney like. Turns out she uses them fer set black walnut dye. The rust does somthin with the cloth, but the rust get removed from da metal.

DLCTEX
05-14-2006, 09:14 AM
If the toy is cast iron, probably ,or it would be dissolved by now,clean away. My vote would be for the electrolysis method.

imashooter2
05-14-2006, 09:58 AM
If you remove the rust you have... what?

Leave the rust and you have a great story.

zuke
05-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Leave the rust and look for a replacement on ebay.

Be a neat side by side comparison!

Greenfields
05-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Ain't brothers great! Mine just kept trying to brain me with a hammer. LOL

Cheers
Brian

7br
05-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Dad actually has several humorous stories involving his brothers.

Dad was the oldest and was in charge of making sure the chores got done after school. One afternoon, he told one of his brothers that he needed help milking. My uncle told my dad to go stuff himself because he was making donuts. Dad stomped out and milked his cows. He came back to the house told my uncle that he would milk the uncle's cows and when he got in, he was going to feed the donuts to the coon hounds. Dad milked the cows and came storming in the backdoor. My uncle heard the commotion and headed out the front door with the fresh baked donuts on a tray. Dad was hot on his heels when my uncle made the corner of the house and ran smack dab into the bicycles that they had ridden home from school. Donuts went about 15 feet in the air and coon hounds converged from the four corners of the farmyard. Dad swears that nary a donut hit the ground. My uncle was so p***ed off that he grabbed an ax from the shop. Dad said the even though my uncle was hobbling something fierce, he only made the cornfield 10 yards in front of my uncle.