PDA

View Full Version : DPMS LR308 vs FNAR308

frank_1947
11-27-2009, 02:00 AM
For months I have been thinking of buying a LR308 there is one hanging on the wall at the range or store where I take care of all their brass and a FNAR I have read many articles on the web and DPMS has a forun none have been good all most 90% have been about feeding issues but I have yet to see a bad report on the FNAR Sub MOA and will shot anything you put in it.

But I like the LR platform but if it doesnt work then its not much good I dont want to spend $1000 and have to try and fix it but I thought I would give it a chance so we took it of the wall brought it thru the doors into the range sure enuff it would not feed looks like a mag issue bolt goes right over the top jamming against the shoulder of the bullet, I think bending the lips up on the mag might do it , but my thought is DPMS must be sending alot of guns out like this and they dont deserve my money, tomorrow I might mess with it because it must be fixed either for me or someone else, but I am leaning on the FNAR.

My feeling is when you lay hard earned cash on the counter that dam gun should run, I have fixed a bunch of guns in my day think I am getting old and cranky

Five years ago I bought Springfield Armory 9mm loaded model, the gun in my avatar as a matter of fact, it wouldnt run, WHY, the chamber was to tight reamed chamber it did fine but accuracy wasnt what I wanted put a shueman barrel in it now it is a one hole gun beside that frame to slide was terrible spent 5 hours working it back and forth with valve lapping compound until I could get it to cycle right, but I dont care to do all that today, all I want to do is shoot.

Bet you all feel the same way.

Russel Nash
11-27-2009, 11:14 AM
A thousand bucks for a .308 chambered AR???

That sounds pretty cheap to me.

Are you sure this isn't a used gun where someone either bought cheap mags, that wouldn't work, or did some ham handed dremel jockey'ing or gunsmithing on either the gun or the mags?

I am thinking if there is a forum for the DPMS guns, then poke around some more, because somebody has to have come up with a solution by now.

If not there on the DPMS forum, then on AR15.com

Russel Nash
11-27-2009, 11:16 AM
To get back to the point, that I think you are making...

Guns aren't made any more.... they are assembled, probably from parts made from who knows where???

frank_1947
11-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Sure its new it list for $1159 it is LR308T , DMPS forum is where they all where yelling for help

nighthunter
11-27-2009, 07:32 PM
I would love to have the DPMS LR308. My brother has one and it is an excellent shooter. It will shoot 1 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards with bullets rangeing from 125 gr to 190 gr. Recoil is very easy on the shoulder and long range sessions are easily tolerated. Shooting it really gives one the sense of shooting a FULL power AR. I have no experience with the FN so can't comment there. My brother has had no problems with his DPMS.

Nighthunter

frank_1947
11-27-2009, 07:38 PM
well we got it to feed by bending lips up fired 5 rounds that was it would not eject emty its was stuck there going to send it back said they have had many problems with them so I got the FNAR but its dark now will shoot tomorrow

Russel Nash
11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Again, how much are you giving Top Gun for those 5 gallon buckets full of mixed brass?

:kidding:

Just joking Frank.

It's me, Brad. [smilie=s:

Does Rock River Arms make a .308 caliber'ed AR?

I know Armalite does.

CMMG is making a .308 AR lower that is supposed to take G3 mags, which are really cheap, but IIRC, just for the lower it is not cheap.

Russel Nash
11-27-2009, 08:09 PM
That and whatever upper you go with has to get whittled on a bit to get the wider G3 mags to fit up in there.

CMMG is right here in Missouri too... up near Columbia, IIRC. They put on a big 3 gun match every May/June.

My only other piece of advice for you Frank is to post the same question on the Brian Enos forum in the 3 gun rifle technical subsection.

There are people who are sponsored by some of the big manufacturers who might be able to help you.

Frank, I thought you alread had an AR15. You could just buy an upper in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

frank_1947
11-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't want a 6.8 can't find brass the brass is more then loaded ammo in 308 the FN is very nice gun so im good now. I thought that was you once before I saw that caption on the bottom about the camera , I said to myself sounds like that as*hole I know that wears a camera.

Have you been shooting any matches lately ? I havent been able to I am having back trouble again, plus I am having a operation Dec 9th for another friggin issue, hit 62 collect social security and you start falling apart, shoot me a email Brad.

JKH
12-03-2009, 05:04 PM
What mags were with the DPMS? Older style synthetic or new steel?
I had an LR308 beofre my Armalite AR10, it was extremely accurate and 100% reliable with any ammo i fed it including handloads and Indian ball. The plastic mags were not optimal but i still had no feed issues (was most liekly lucky in this instance though), the steel mags are excellant and many SR25 owners purchase them as they are very well made and MUCH cheaper than Knights mags.

I assembled a second upper for mine with an older 20" Armalite standard weight barrel, it shot as well as the massive 24" bull barrel. I finally peddled it as I had 2 AR10's and decided to focus on that platform, however, I would purchase another DPMS. 308 AR type rifle any time as long as the price was right.

Jeff

Lloyd Smale
12-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Ive got a 16 inch dpms ar10 and ive put probably 2000 rounds through it using 6 differnt mags and its yet to miss a beat.

Russel Nash
12-05-2009, 02:23 AM
You'd have to know Frank.

You can put any gun in his hands and it will choke/jam/puke.

:kidding:

[smilie=s:

legend
12-05-2009, 04:23 AM
I won a DPMS 308lr a couple years back.i have fired every factory ammo i could,i have shot a BUNCH of 200gr cast,and a smaller ammount of 150jacketed handloads...it has never missed a lick.

I have talked to the factory on two occasions,and i bet a dollar to a donut they WANT to hear about any problems you might have...call them

frank_1947
12-05-2009, 10:19 AM
you know what you should do with that camera and ware to put it , right!