PDA

View Full Version : Initial Testing of DTLR 'E' Bullet

RMulhern
11-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Let me preface this with the fact that anything I post here will have been done with BLACKPOWDER and Paper Patch Bullets! Anything that I post here will be done with the Model 1874 Sharps Rifle! I have other rifles with Hiwall actions but over time it has been my experience that nothing in the way of BPCR use can stay with the Sharps for consistent accuracy! This is my own opinion....yours may vary! This test, even though limited, gives me a very good idea of what I can expect from this bullet in future testing episodes.

KAL E Bullet Initial Testing from 200 yards.
Conditions: Clear Sky/Bright Sun
Time=1600 hrs. 25 Nov 2009
Temp=60F
RH=45%
Wind=8 o/c 2-3 mph
Pres=30.12
Visibility=10 miles
Elev=80'

Info:

Caliber=.50/90
Rifle=1874 Sharps w/32" heavy barrel. Weight=14# 15 oz
Sights=Hoke LR Rear Tang/Distant Thunder Front w/Aperture

Load:

KAL 690 gr. PP E Bullet
Alloy=1-16
Bullet Wrapped OD=0.5025"
COAL=3.860"
Brass=BELL FL Resized and annealed
Primer=WLR
Powder=116 grs. Swiss 1F
OPW=2 .060" atop powder w/.060"Poly adj base bullet
BDIC=.190"
Patch Paper=9# Onion Skin from BACO wet wrapped & Dried on HP
Bullet seated by hand and run through TCD w/very light crimp

This mould comes from Red River Rick who post here on occasion. I have had this bullet for roughly 2 1/2 months but due to monsoon rains we had here in North Louisiana and a very bad outbreak of mosquitoes I have not cared to venture to my range for testing! Two days ago was the first opportunity for me to do a limited test which was conducted from 200 yards. I loaded up 10 rounds of PP and not having a zero with this rifle I fired 4 sighters to get a close zero and I then fired the last 6 rounds into the group that I will post below. BTW...there are 3 rounds through the upper left hole. Group was fired from bench rest with no rear bag as I shoot off my shoulder as I have always done with good results. Some people have said in previous writings that the .50/90 is not an accurate cartridge but over time I have discovered that it is a VERY ACCURATE CARTRIDGE if fed the right stuff! As I state above....this is a 'limited test' but if further testing runs true to form from previous experience with this rifle....I believe it will also yield great results in further testing from 800-1000 yards.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/EBulletGroupVertical.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/EBulletGroupWidth.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/EBulletTest.jpg

barrabruce
11-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Thats cool...
I'd be happy to be able to shoot that with one of them "tactical laser" type j-word rifles.

You blokes leave me ....devistated in my meager offerings and ability.
Barra

Buckshot
11-28-2009, 03:41 AM
..............Nice write up and some very creditable shooting by both of ya (you & the rifle!). That alsmot 15lb rifle might have mitigated it some but still, off the bench for me at least it would have probably been a real spine loosener.

..............Buckshot

RMulhern
11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Buckshot

Not nearly as bad as a hunting weight rifle in 30/06 or .300 Win Mag caliber! BP IMO just has a rather big and steady 'shove'...rather than violent recoil akin to SP!!
:bigsmyl2::cbpour::holysheep