PDA

View Full Version : .38 special purchasing list - did I miss anything?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Got the purchase list for .38 special reloading. Here it is:

1 Lee 358-158 LRNFP six gang mold
1 Lee Deluxe die set in .38 special
1 Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder measure
1 Hornady LnL shell plate for .38 special
1 RCBS .358" lube sizing die (I think I may already have a top punch to fit, if not, I can make/buy one later.
1 Hornady LnL Case Feeder with all the case feeder plates to go on my LnL

On Hand:

Hornady LnL
8 pounds Clays
8 pounds Titegroup
5K small pistol primers in a couple different brands, including Wolf, CCI and Federal
200 range pick up .38 special brass to get started with
Adequate supply of clean, ready to cast WW ingots
sticks of Lars Carnauba Red

Did I miss anything?

Thanks,

Dave

geargnasher
11-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Got Bullplate?

Got Lee's powder measure riser? This is an absolute requirement for progressive loading as the measure will interfere with the other dies in the die plate. The "swivel" that comes with the pro disk is not enough ime.

that ought to cover it.

Gear

KYCaster
11-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Dave, you might consider a Hornady powder measure rather than the Lee.

I could never get consistant results with light powder charges using the Lee discs. The Hornady is MUCH more consistant and more easily adjusted for light loads.

Just my opinion.
Jerry

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Gear,

Answers in context.

Got Bullplate?

Yes, have Bullplate

Got Lee's powder measure riser? This is an absolute requirement for progressive loading as the measure will interfere with the other dies in the die plate. The "swivel" that comes with the pro disk is not enough ime.

Works good for me on the LnL. I just position the measure to hang out in space away from the dies.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Jerry,

Answers in context.

Dave, you might consider a Hornady powder measure rather than the Lee.

I have an older LnL case activated powder drop and you can't use the inserts in it. I'd have to buy a whole new setup. I've found the Lee to allow me to spoil myself for less money than if I bought the newer CAPD and the inserts. Works really well too.

I could never get consistant results with light powder charges using the Lee discs. The Hornady is MUCH more consistant and more easily adjusted for light loads.

I have, but I use either the Lee Universal charge bar for larger charges or the micro disk to dispense small charges and get great results. Again, for the Hornady, I'd have to buy the pistol rotor and that costs as much. With the Lee dies, I just pick up a cheap pro auto disk for each caliber when I'm buying the dies. Have powder through expansion for net less and have a powder measure set up I can leave setup for each caliber.

Yes, I know that's lazy, but I'm a pretty busy guy, so anything to save a few seconds is worth it. Especially if it's a cheap (aka inexpensive) solution.

11-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Dave,

Make up a dummy round, pull the boolit and measure it. I found that all my Lee handgun seating dies were down-sizing the boolits. Switched to Lyman, problem solved.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Dave,

Make up a dummy round, pull the boolit and measure it. I found that all my Lee handgun seating dies were down-sizing the boolits. Switched to Lyman, problem solved.

Did you use the seating die to crimp?

11-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Dave,

No, just to seat. Crimping is done as a seperate step. The Lee .44 Special seating die was re-sizing my 429421, .433" boolit back down to .429".

I've not experienced the problem with Lee .30 or 6.5 rifle dies, though, so it may be handgun die specific.

trickyasafox
11-27-2009, 08:24 PM
extra handles. can we ever really have enough?

BSkerj
11-27-2009, 09:15 PM
A inertia hammer is a must. Franklin sells them new for 15.00. You will regret not having one, if after you load a couple dozen rds and realize you did something wrong. Also it will help you take apart that dummy round 462 mentioned above.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-27-2009, 09:26 PM
I should have mentioned I've been reloading and casting for years. I have all the "standard" stuff.

Regards,

Dave

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Dave,

No, just to seat. Crimping is done as a seperate step. The Lee .44 Special seating die was re-sizing my 429421, .433" boolit back down to .429".

I've not experienced the problem with Lee .30 or 6.5 rifle dies, though, so it may be handgun die specific.

I've never had the problem at all with the several Lee hand gun dies I have had. I think your die just had a problem. I would have sent it back to Lee for correction. I have never found changing brands to be a better solution, as each brand of reloading equipment has it's own quirks.

Regards,

Dave

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-27-2009, 09:29 PM
extra handles. can we ever really have enough?

I think you're right. I only have one set and they're cracked, come to think of it. Something to add to the "next order" list.

Regards,

Dave

woodsoup
11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Dave,

If you're not crimping, only seating. Please explain to me the dynamics involved in this process. All a seating die does is push the bullet into the case. If set incorrectly it won't even remove the bell. I think either your bullets are softer than you think and the case is reforming them, not the die. Or your resizing die is the wrong dimmension and making the case way to small which will resize a hard cast lead boolit to some degree.

DLCTEX
11-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I would add the adjustable charge bar to the Auto disc Powder measure.

11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
dave and woodsoup,

I was having a leading problem, in a S&W .44 Special, that I couldn’t figure out. Finally, out of desperation, I posted my dilemma, here on Cast Boolits, giving all the pertinent information -- water quenched wheel weights, powder, etc.

I received many suggestions and, in time, was able to eliminate the leading problem. A couple of members suggested pulling a boolit and measure it, thinking that the seating die was re-sizing the boolit (water quenched, remember, so they were plenty hard, in fact, as it turned out, too hard for the application). Sure enough, the die had sized the .433” boolit down to .429”.

Next, I conducted the same test using Lee‘s .38/.357 and .45 ACP/AR dies and got the same results. I replaced them with Lyman dies and the problem disappeared. (Plus, I now have the famous “M” die) The experience has lead me to believe that Lee handgun seating dies are designed for jacketed bullets and will re-size the case to SAAMI specifications, and in so doing, the boolit gets re-sized, as well. (I have read that the Lee Factory Crimp Die, in handgun calibers, are machined to do just that, and shouldn't be used for cast boolits.)

We casters and reloaders know that the hobbies are rife with quirks, nuances and foibles, and that, without a doubt, one size does not fit all. The above situation was my experience with Lee handgun dies. This is not meant, in any way, to disparage Lee products as I have quite a few of them and will continue to buy them. And I don’t mean to say that everyone who reloads cast boolits with Lee dies will have the same problem. However, I have read of other Cast Boolit members who had the same happen to them.

KYCaster
11-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Oh, my!!! :shock:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I would add the adjustable charge bar to the Auto disc Powder measure.

I have one, but perhaps should have bought another for the new measure. They're certainly cheap enough. I'll pick one up locally.

Regards,

Dave

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2009, 10:59 AM
IA couple of members suggested pulling a boolit and measure it, thinking that the seating die was re-sizing the boolit (water quenched, remember, so they were plenty hard, in fact, as it turned out, too hard for the application). Sure enough, the die had sized the .433” boolit down to .429”.

Next, I conducted the same test using Lee‘s .38/.357 and .45 ACP/AR dies and got the same results. I replaced them with Lyman dies and the problem disappeared. (Plus, I now have the famous “M” die) The experience has lead me to believe that Lee handgun seating dies are designed for jacketed bullets and will re-size the case to SAAMI specifications, and in so doing, the boolit gets re-sized, as well. (I have read that the Lee Factory Crimp Die, in handgun calibers, are machined to do just that, and shouldn't be used for cast boolits.)

My approach would have been different. I would have simply (and will, if need be) had the appropriate dies opened up to accommodate cast boolits. But I'm hard headed that way and have a buddy who is pretty much a genius with a lathe. While I have nothing against Lyman dies, The Lee dies have done very well by me so far and I much prefer powder through expansion over separate operations, which gives me room for separating the seating/crimping, something else I prefer as it makes setting up the dies easier and controlling the overall progressive reloading operation easier.

Regards,

Dave

11-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Dave,

I did open up the .44 seating die to accomodate the .433" boolit, as previously stated. Another factor, in replacing the Lee dies, was the addition of Lyman's "M" die.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Dave,

I did open up the .44 seating die to accomodate the .433" boolit, as previously stated. Another factor, in replacing the Lee dies, was the addition of Lyman's "M" die.

Here's been my experience with Lee dies, in three calibers: 9MM, .380ACP and 45ACP.

1. No problems with the dies "sizing down" my lead bullets. I got excellent rounds with no leading in a variety of pistols in the calibers mentioned.

2. When I did have problems with Lee dies, it was needing a seater for semi-wadcutter boolits. I called Lee and they supplied me with one, no charge. So I learned Lee will work with you to make their die sets fit your application.

3. I never needed to have the inner diameter opened up, but if I did, I would simply call Lee and send the die in. I suspect they would do it at their cost or at a minimal charge. Probably much less than buying a new die set.

4. Related to seating and the Factory Crimp Die. I use both the Lee seater and FCD on all the pistol calibers I have. In these, when setting a light crimp (strong enough for good function) I've never had a bullet "down sized." Others may have other experiences, but so far, for me, in 3 calibers, I've not had the problem where it affected my shooting experience -neither accuracy nor leading.

5. Related to revolver calibers, this is my first revolver caliber and I may have different experiences. But if I do, I'll likely simply have the die reamed a bit to accommodate the larger diameter, should that become necessary.

As far as the Lyman dies go, I'm sure they will work fine, but I want to have case activated powder through expansion. Lyman "M" dies do not offer this. If I have need in the future of a Lyman "M" die configuration, I may modify, make or have made (and have done this in the past when I used only my old style LnL powder measure for powder through expansion) an expander with the Lyman configuration but that fits the Lee powder through expander. This way, I give away none of my progressive reloading efficiency while having everything I prefer.

Regards,

Dave

quasi
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
get more brass, much more brass!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-01-2009, 10:32 PM
get more brass, much more brass!

This is something I need to do. I have about 200, buddy or two is giving me a batch apiece. I'll see how much I end up with and then decide if I need to buy any.

Dave

mike in co
12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
get something to trim the saes with...actual length is not an issue...so long as they are all the same. set your die for average case and then hit a long case and bingo..its on its way to splitting.

use a lyman m die to expand with....try not to :"bell" the brass.

the lyman is more tollerant of non-uniform case length.

mike in co

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
get something to trim the saes with...actual length is not an issue...so long as they are all the same. set your die for average case and then hot a long case and bingo..its on its way to splitting.

Yep, I own a trimmer and have had one for about 15 years or so.

Regards,

Dave