PDA

View Full Version : Casting Setup

Rich219
11-26-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd be interested in getting into casting this winter and I am currently looking into the equipment needed so I figure I'll use this thread as my source of guidance and information. I think I'll start off with a 20lb bottom pour pot. I won't be able to any smelting because of where I live but I believe I've found a guy locally that will sell me wheel weights that have already been smelted down. So if I get all the equipment needed to cast with a 20lb pot setup would a 4 foot long bench give me enough room to work comfortably? Is it safe to cast in an enclosed garage or do I need to vent the area?

Those are my main questions for now but I'm sure I'll have more shortly. :killingpc

snowwolfe
11-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I think a 4 foot bench would work fine. Enough space for the bottom pour furance and one (or two for later) lube sizer can be mounted on the end. Add a heavy duty shelf or two under the bench to store some supplies and you will be all set. My bench is smaller than that but it is also used for different things as well.
Most garages are vented enough, but if you are worried just crack the door an inch or two when casting.

Edubya
11-26-2009, 07:28 PM
For casting only, you could get by with half of that. You want it to be sturdy though. You'll be putting weight up high and it's not just any weight!
I suggest to all that are starting or contemplating it, read the "Stickies" on this site.
Good luck,
EW

geargnasher
11-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I'd be interested in getting into casting this winter and I am currently looking into the equipment needed so I figure I'll use this thread as my source of guidance and information. I think I'll start off with a 20lb bottom pour pot. I won't be able to any smelting because of where I live but I believe I've found a guy locally that will sell me wheel weights that have already been smelted down. So if I get all the equipment needed to cast with a 20lb pot setup would a 4 foot long bench give me enough room to work comfortably? Is it safe to cast in an enclosed garage or do I need to vent the area?

Those are my main questions for now but I'm sure I'll have more shortly. :killingpc

My new casting table is 22" wide and 23" deep and 32" high with a backsplash. It holds everything I need to cast except a place to drop the hot boolits. For that, I set up a 2'X3' piece of plywood on two five-gallon buckets and layer it with towels or just water drop into a five-gallon bucket. My knees are getting bad and I've built this two-level setup as an island so I can sit while casting and see the pour spout well while not having to hold my hands/arms too high. Working ok so far, but the sitting down took some getting used to.

Lee pro 4-20 bottom-pour is a great inexpensive pot. Not the highest quality, but certainly will serve you well.

I size and lube at a different bench which is part of my reloading bench which is 6-1/2' long and has an Ammomaster, Lee turret, and a Lyman 450 sizer all mounted on it with plenty of space between them. If you want to cast and lube at the same bench 3' would be plenty.

Hope this helps, I think just about everyone ends up going through several stages and arrangements before they get things the way they like, and the end results are often very different.

Gear

mooman76
11-26-2009, 09:33 PM
You can get by with it. I pesonally like a little more room. That makes you comfortable and you can have everything close by that you need and a large area to set your bullets down to cool. I just use my regular work bench and clear off an area. I also use it for loading and regular every day work also. It doesn't have to be fancy. I just crack the garage door while casting.

11-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Rich219,

Two feet should serve you well.

I have an old, 2-foot-long kitchen counter/cabinet that I use specifically for casting, and find that it is more than adequate. Peg-board and a shelf, behind it, keep all the moulds and other casting related equipment and tools well organized and within easy reach.

Another bench, a ten-footer, is set up for lubing, reloading, cleaning, smithing, etc.

Rich219
11-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Would a metal benchtop be ideal for casting on?

lwknight
11-27-2009, 01:52 AM
I would love to have a metal bench top! All those spills and spatters would just wipe off.
It would be better than ideal. You can use an old towel to drop hot boolits on as not to ding em up.

Rich219
11-27-2009, 02:12 AM
I would love to have a metal bench top! All those spills and spatters would just wipe off.
It would be better than ideal. You can use an old towel to drop hot boolits on as not to ding em up.

Then that is what I'll do. I'll just cover the top of the bench with 16ga steel or something like that.

Now all I have to do is wait on my pistol permit to get here and I'll be in business. [smilie=w:

stephen perry
11-27-2009, 03:41 AM
I have most of my casting gear on a 4' table. I can run 3 pots if I choose to. I store all my bars on the floor next to the table. My lube sizers are on my bullet making cube on the other side of my garage. Everything works fine. I have my 4' table next to my steel house size garage door, my garage is detached from my house and I always keep it open while casting though as was said most garages are ventilated enough for casting work.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima