PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 357

bushwack
11-26-2009, 05:00 PM
ok lets hear your opinions, I have read that the rossi 92 has a strong action but I was talking to a guy at a gun store that said that he had to send his rossi back twice for a broken part. How good are rossi's? Is a marlin 94 better than the rossi? or should I save my money up and buy a uberti? Right now I'm just going to use the gun for shooting, maybe hunting small game. What is the best gun?

Thanks bushwack

Ben
11-26-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm no authority ( on anything ), but I've got an 1894 Marlin, CBC, 38 Special.

A Rossi would have to be some more fine rifle to beat this one ..........My rifle is a cast bullet shooter's dream rifle.

I have a progressive on my loading bench set up and dedicated to 38 Special. This little rifle can put brass out on the ground and cast bullets in the bulls-eye !

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0001.jpg

cajun shooter
11-26-2009, 06:21 PM
The action of the 92 is the strongest of the lever action guns. I have owned 4 of the 92's that are made in Brazil as they have been making then for many years. I don't know what part broke in your friends gun but as a whole they will run for ever. I shoot mine in Cowboy action and it sees a lot more shooting than a gun that is bought for hunting. Out of the four that I have owned and shot I have yet to break a part. When you ask the question that you asked it will be like talking about politics. You will have those that swear by what ever gun they use just as I have done. I like the 92's better than the Marlins for a few reasons. The Marlins eject the empties to the front and if you shoot CAS you will lose a lot of brass. While working a stage I have seen Marlin shooters only get back one case after firing 10 rounds. If you shoot 44-40 or 45 Colt or 44mag that could become a problem. The Marlins also have the safety on the new ones which I also don't like on a lever gun. Then you have the two piece firing pin which is prone to breakage unless changed out for a one piece. It's the reason Baskin Robbins has the 31 flavors and you have to decide which one. Your friend has a 92 that is not on par with the guns that I've owned or seen fired. Later David

Bullshop Junior
11-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I have a Marlin and prefer it over the Rossi because of the side eject.

Bullshop Junior
11-26-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm no authority ( on anything ), but I've got an 1894 Marlin, CBC, 38 Special.

A Rossi would have to be some more fine rifle to beat this one ..........My rifle is a cast bullet shooter's dream rifle.

I have a progressive on my loading bench set up and dedicated to 38 Special. This little rifle can put brass out on the ground and cast bullets in the bulls-eye !

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0001.jpg

That is a really nice rifle!
If you have it try 2gr of IMR - Trail Boss with a 130gr cast boolit. That load out of my marlin 357c will put them all touching at 35 yards.

Dogg
11-26-2009, 08:09 PM
I have both, the marlin sits in the safe and hasn't seen the light of day for months. The only advantage is you can put a scope on the marlin. The 92s (8) all eat every bullet profile that I have tried, the 1894 even hangs up on round/flat nose bullets.
But as was said every one has opinions about what they like so go with what you feel you like if it works for you, congradulation, if it doesn't well try the other.

Freightman
11-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Some folks can tear up an anvil, but my Puma 45 Colt sure shoots some hot loads and never acts like it.

Farmall 1066
11-26-2009, 09:51 PM
I have the 16" Puma in 357. It thrives on 38/357 cast bullet loads and feeds any bullet profile I've fed it, with the exception of full wadcutters. I just HAD to try that.......don't do it!
After trimming a few springs and some polishing I couldn't be happier!
I see no reason to look for a more expensive rifle of another brand.

Andy

O.S.O.K.
11-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I have a 44 Mag Rossi on order.

I also own a Marlin 94CS (.357 Mag).

It's true that the Browning 92 action is stronger than the Marlin action but the Marlin is plenty strong enough and is totally safe, so what's the diff?

As far as quality, the Marlin is much much more likely to be 100% than the Rossi. The Rossi's just don't have the quality control that the Marlin's do.

And don't be concerned about the microgroove barrel - they shoot cast boolits great - you just need to be sure that they are slightly over bore - like .359"-.360" diameter. Most comercial cast boolits are .359" and work fine.

For what you describe, I would go with the Marlin first or if you like the 92 design and don't mind rolling the dice a little, then the Rossi is your pick - check here http://www.budsgunshop.com (go to the pistol page, click on cowboy action).

That's were I ordered my .44 Mag - Rossi Puma walnut furniture, cressant buttplate, color case hardened finished receiver, 20" octagonal barrel, 1:20" twist barrel - $365 delivered. I couldn't pass that up. They have good prices on some Marlins too.

runfiverun
11-26-2009, 11:26 PM
thats a nice short rifle osok ordered if i thought i could get another 92 of any sort in the gun rooom it's be a short rifle.
i wish that rossi would come round and make some more calibers like 25-20 etc...

fecmech
11-26-2009, 11:57 PM
I just bought a Rossi 92 in .357 and have run at least 2K through it with no problems. It feeds and functions just fine, the only thing I don't like is the 1 in 30" twist. As far as QC is concerned Marlin has not impressed me lately. One friend bought a Marlin 1894 in .357, it would not feed from the mag tube right out of the box and he had to send it to Marlin to get it fixed. Another friend bought a Marlin 39A that is not 100% reliable as far as feeding and felt like the action was full of sand and had a 7 LB. trigger! Both of these guns were bought new in the past year.