PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6Cav Copy of H&G #68

High Desert Hunter
05-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Cast up a hundred or so after work yesterday, took them out to the range today to give them a quick trial. Well it looks as though I will definitely be filing down my front sight, they shoot about 2 1/2-3" low at 25 yards, 230s shoot 1-1 1/2" low at 25. They do however group very well, couldn't be more pleased. They also created very minimal leading, I sized them to .451, I may run them through my
.454 die, which should leave them as cast or .452, but it was so minimal I may not even worry about it. The Lee 6 cavity mould casts very easy, the bullets just drop right out, slick, and it was really no work to get 140 decent bullets in no time.

Dave

Dale53
05-13-2006, 07:59 PM
The Lee 6 cavity moulds are unappreciated by the "experts". However, it appears that most on here truly appreciate what fine tools they can be.

Dale53

robertbank
05-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Well it looks as though I will definitely be filing down my front sight, they shoot about 2 1/2-3" low at 25 yards, 230s shoot 1-1 1/2" low at 25.

Call me stupid but why would you bother with the front sight. At 25 yards I doubt your shooting low 1.5" has as much to do with your front sight as it has with your shooting unless you are using a Ransom rest to shoot off of.

BG's won't care if you hit them in the tip of the nose instead of between the eyes.:mrgreen:

Take Care

redneckdan
05-14-2006, 05:13 PM
[BG's won't care if you hit them in the tip of the nose instead of between the eyes.:mrgreen:

Take Care

actually, if you hit them in the tip of the nose vs between the eyes you are actually closer to a perfect CNS shot, ie turning the medula into tomato soup. This the holy grail of the one shot stop.

High Desert Hunter
05-16-2006, 08:01 AM
I need a POI that is closer to POA for shooting jackrabbits at 50 yards or so. It is difficult to guesstimate how much sight blade to hold over when shooting from a rest, let alone trying to hit a jack before he takes off. I will eventually have a lower tridium sight put on, but for now, I think the file option will work. The bullets shoot real nice, may have to mess around with them in my 45 Colt.

Dave

Dale53
05-16-2006, 09:00 AM
There are various scenerios when one might well benefit from a precision shot, in general. I like hunting and "serious" pistols to shoot on point of aim at 25 yards. Then I test fire, from field poisitions, to see where the shots impact at various yardages from quite close to farther away. I always thought that the old PPC course had a lot to offer with the various ranges that were used.

IPSC just improved upon PPC with more demanding time frames. At any rate, that kind of practice can be very valuable.

There is a LOT to be said for a good set of high visibility FIXED sights- tuned to your load. I have a standard load with my "serious" .45's and that is exactly what I use.

FWIW
Dale53

robertbank
05-16-2006, 09:36 AM
"I need a POI that is closer to POA for shooting jackrabbits at 50 yards or so. It is difficult to guesstimate how much sight blade to hold over when shooting from a rest, let alone trying to hit a jack before he takes off"

Now I am not saying BS here but you took the jack rabbit thing off of my reply in the 1911 Forum. Jackrabbits at 50 yards with a 1911 right on. Try shooting elephants in the eye from 100 yards. If you get that sight of yours filed down .008" should not be a problem. Do you really own a gun of any kind?

Take Care

High Desert Hunter
05-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Well Robert,
I do in fact own a few guns, and believe it or not, have filed a front sight down before to adjust the point of aim on a fixed sight revolver. I have only been shooting for about 34 years, so I could be full of BS, but just because you can't hit a jackrabbit at 50 yards with a pistol, doesn't mean that the rest of us can't, maybe you should try some practice. I believe that I am the one who started the jackrabbit thing, and I am damn sure I have more jacks here than you do in BC. Believe it or not, I have hit snowshoe hares, and ptarmigan at 50 long paces as well. I will let you know how the sight adjustment goes.

Dave

robertbank
05-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Well you file that front sight down 8/1000 of an inch and go get 'um. I am sure you will be able to get them right between the eyes. Zeroed at 25 yards shooting 200 gr. boolits will call for a 2.5" holdever at 50 yards if your velocity is around 850 fps. Good Luck.

Take Care

High Desert Hunter
05-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Now we're talking, if they're heads were a bit bigger, I could just hold on the tips of their ears, and plunk them right in the noggin. If I could get the 255gr RNFP bullets to shoot as accurate as the 200s I would just shoot them, as they shoot just about right on at 25 yards. I zero my 45 Colt at 50 yards shooting the RCBS 270SAA bullet at 285grs from wheel weights, with it I can ring the gong(24X24) at our local range which sets at 240 yards.

Dave

robertbank
05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
That's nothin, I load my .455 Webley up with 260 gr hollow base boolits and regularily hit our deer targets at 300 yards. Hold over is aboout 20.25'.

Take Care

9.3X62AL
05-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Another route to take for "sight adjustment" would be to vary the velocities a bit--say, 50 FPS up and/or down--just to see if accuracy stays constant and POI shifts in the right direction. This works nearly as well with autopistols as it does with revolvers--differential barrel time can vary dispersion vertically. I like having the boolit/bullet land right atop the sight picture at 50 yards, "dotting the I" so to speak. This was easier to accomplish with 25 year old eyes than with the present set twice that age!

I've had GREAT luck with the Lee 200 grain SWC in several 45 ACP's and in my BisHawk x 45 Colt. It was one of two boolits that behaved nicely when the .449" throats dealt with the .452" grooves, if kept under 900 FPS. If ever a boolit should NOT have worked, that was the time--bevel base, plain base, and backwards dimensions. After opening the throats to .453", it keeps up the good work when run through the .454" sizer. The drive bands aren't affected much, but the boolit still does good things. I've whacked several dozen jacks with this boolit, and it ends the engagement forthwith--good or marginal hits. With my skill level, 35-40 yards is my usual range limit with jacks and the 45 ACP stutterguns, but once in a great while the planets line up right and a 50 yarder cartwheels the critter. A better pistol with a better trigger than my present 45 would be a step in the right direction, too.

harley45
05-17-2006, 01:06 PM
I also had very good luck with this mold it cast nicely from the start and did everything I ever asked it to do. The only problem I had was the spru plate broke and I had to order another one after much use.

High Desert Hunter
05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Dang Robert, now that is some shootin', from looking at it, the Webley isn't poking those bullets out at a whole lot of velocity. I will have to give the deer sized buffalo we have on our 300 yard range a try with the 45 Colt, I have a Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" tube that I will have to try as well. Casting with this Lee mould is easier than with my Lyman 4 Cav 429421, but not quite as easy as my RCBS moulds, specifically the 270SAA, and the 1 Cavity 405gr GC mould for my 45/70s. Harley, I will keep an eye on the sprue plate, but like you, I find this mould to be an incredible value, especially how fast the ACP goes through bullets.

Dave

Lonestar22
05-18-2006, 09:12 PM
:lol:
…Shootin’ Jacks at 50-yards with a 1911, bustin’ steel at 240-yards with a 45 Colt, and poppin’ 300-yard deer targets with a .455 Webley. The first storyteller doesn’t stand a chance. OK, so which one of you is going to fess up first? Regardless, old Elmer would be jealous. Even his “stories” were not of the level you your “accomplishments” –ROTFLMAO!

waksupi
05-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, I'm sure I'll catch the devil on this one. When the old Hooterville long range shoot used to be held here in NW Montana, myself and a couple others, were hitting the 900 yard buffalo target with interesting regularity, using .44 revolvers. Of course, we were aiming up two mountain ridges, and using the top of a lone pine tree for an aiming point.

robertbank
05-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Not me! What I failed to mention is I usually have my wife out there standing by the target catching the boolits in a bucket as they pass thru the target. That way you don't have to clean the suckers before I re-melt them. I figure at 300 yards the .455 Webley boolits are travelling at an estimated speed of approx. 10' per minute. Haven't chronoed them at that distance, afraid I might hit one of the wire supports for the shade screen.

Take Care

Bret4207
05-19-2006, 06:42 AM
In an issue of "The Gun Digest" a few years back Jim Foral wrote up a gun club that used to shoot TURKEY targets at 300 yards with handguns. I'd have to look, but I think it was body shots. Mind you this was around the turn of the 19th century. No scopes or Freedom Arms super guns back then. 38's, 44's and 45's with fixed sights for the most part I think. I've made the occasional phenomonal shot, more often back before I was near blind.

Ah, the 455 Webley! I'm sort of trying to get a price on one. I have a feeling it's out of my league, but what neat guns they are. As for that fat, slow moving boolit- use a nice flat tipped booit at 600fps and that should do most of what I need. Hold over...... well, that's the fun part of learing the gun isn't it?

45 2.1
05-19-2006, 08:43 AM
:lol:
…Shootin’ Jacks at 50-yards with a 1911, bustin’ steel at 240-yards with a 45 Colt, and poppin’ 300-yard deer targets with a .455 Webley. The first storyteller doesn’t stand a chance. OK, so which one of you is going to fess up first? Regardless, old Elmer would be jealous. Even his “stories” were not of the level you your “accomplishments” –ROTFLMAO!

Elmer did better than that and everything he wrote about has been duplicated by others. Whats been posted hasn't been anything extraordinary either. Lots of handgunners do that, but don't write about it.

boogerred
05-19-2006, 09:33 PM
my longest jackrabbit shot was 86 long steps with a 357. i know it wasnt luck because id already shot at him 4 times. he just happened to stop in the shade right where i knew he would.shooting skill,intuitive knowledge of the quarry,or just plain luck-you decide,only I know the truth.

felix
05-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, I got one too, but with a 22-250. A hell of a gale, and puffy at that. The branch about 250 yards out was swinging back and forth at the top of this tree where the limbs were new growth, but able to hold a blackbird, cowbird, starling. The swing back and forth, at about 90 degrees to me, looked to be at least 6-8 foot, and about one cycle every 1.5 second or so. Shot at the branch in the center of the cycle when it crossed the center dot cross hairs. The bird blew up. Never to be repeated, by me, I'm sure. ... felix

High Desert Hunter
05-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Never was an athlete, but from the time I was 5, I could shoot. My cousins refused to partake in BB gun wars with me, because I rarely missed with my Daisy Colt SAA. I love to shoot, almost as much as I love to hunt. Coyotes, porcupines, and ground hogs were my first quary. In Eastern Oregon my grandparents ran cows, and I would spend summers on horse back helping them, and the neighbors herd, moved sprinkler pipe, and learned to shoot an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk in 357 caliber with a hair trigger right well, that and an old 30-30 with very little rifling left helped me tune my skills. Then there was a Remington 30'06 topped with an old Weaver 4X scope that would smack a mule deer at ridiculous ranges. Now I am fond of single action sixshooters in 44 or 45 caliber, my 45/70s, a sweet but heavy 22-250, and the main game getter in my corral a butt ugly synthetic stocked Ruger M77MKII in .300 Winchester Mag, with a Leupold 2.5X8 scope, caribou, grizzly bear, and coyotes have fallen to it's mighty thunder, it is still looking for it's first elk and mule deer, I am not the hunter I once was, but hope to be again. I really like shooting ridiculously long ranges with my sixguns, and have made what I thought were impressive hits at ranges beyond 400 yards on man sized rocks with my 44 magnum, and 454 Casull. I don't reckon this Springfield will ever be much of a long range shooter, but since the Air Force has chosen to put me in jackrabbit heaven, I will exercise it to the best of our ability.

Dave