PDA

View Full Version : excellant deer sausage recipe ----

abob
11-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Just like to share this recipe with you guys. Shot two whitetails this year, one with muzzle loader, other with the 45-70. Both loaded with cast paper patched. Have to say love this site for all the info on reloading, shooting etc. Just my first post. This recipe got me motivated to share this. My lady friend who doesn't like gamey deer meat loves this deer sausage, both as smoked and not smoked. Enjoy! :castmine:

Grandpa Bob's Venison Sausage Recipe

* 10 lbs of lean trimmed venison, rinsed and squeezed / drained of excess water before grinding. For an older deer if you soak the deer trimmings for couple of hours in cold water in the fridge, stir and change the water a couple of times to remove a lot of the blood -- and gamey taste.

* 5 lbs of ground pork shoulder or trimmings. ( Some may want a 20% fat mix when you are done ) We found this recipe good ( and healthier ) with relatively lean pork.

* 4 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt -- non iodized

* 4 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper

* 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder

* 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

* 2 teaspoons paprika

* 1 1/2 teaspoons sage

* 1 1/2 teaspoons Keen's dry mustard powder

* 3 teaspoons cure ( used Morton Tender Quick )

* 2 1/2 cups icey cold water

* 1 cup 100% black bean flour ( used Bob's Red Mill stone ground black bean flour -- or you can use instead 100% buckwheat flour )

1. Cut all the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, then grind it though the medium plate of your meat grinder.

2. Take all the spices and cure, and stir, mixing them well into the 2 1/2 cups of icey cold water. ( Do not add the black bean flour yet)

3. Pour the water and spice mix into the ground meat and work it all in by hand for at least a few minutes to ensure a even mix of both meats and spices.

4. Add the 1 cup of black bean flour, sprinkle in as you mix the meat further, continue mixing for a couple more minutes to ensure mix is even. The mix is paste like in texture at this point.

5. Stuff the sausage into 32-35mm natural or collagen casings and prepare the links for the smoker. As the sausage is fairly spicey I prefer a lighter smoke so it's not overwhelming.

6. Once the smoking process is completed, package the links and freeze them for up to 4 months.

This recipe is also very good when made as a non-smoked fresh sausage for the frying pan or bar-be-que. Try frying up a sample of your batch as a taste test, you will be pleasantly surprised how good it is! We also make up and ziplock bag for freezing, some hamburger patties for the frying pan or bar-be-que. If you choose that option, you may try adding 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke for flavor. Personally I prefer the real smoke.

StarMetal
11-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Just like to share this recipe with you guys. Shot two whitetails this year, one with muzzle loader, other with the 45-70. Both loaded with cast paper patched. Have to say love this site for all the info on reloading, shooting etc. Just my first post. This recipe got me motivated to share this. My lady friend who doesn't like gamey deer meat loves this deer sausage, both as smoked and not smoked. Enjoy! :castmine:

Grandpa Bob's Venison Sausage Recipe

* 10 lbs of lean trimmed venison, rinsed and squeezed / drained of excess water before grinding. For an older deer if you soak the deer trimmings for couple of hours in cold water in the fridge, stir and change the water a couple of times to remove a lot of the blood -- and gamey taste.

* 5 lbs of ground pork shoulder or trimmings. ( Some may want a 20% fat mix when you are done ) We found this recipe good ( and healthier ) with relatively lean pork.

* 4 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt -- non iodized

* 4 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper

* 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder

* 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

* 2 teaspoons paprika

* 1 1/2 teaspoons sage

* 1 1/2 teaspoons Keen's dry mustard powder

* 3 teaspoons cure ( used Morton Tender Quick )

* 2 1/2 cups icey cold water

* 1 cup 100% black bean flour ( used Bob's Red Mill stone ground black bean flour -- or you can use instead 100% buckwheat flour )

1. Cut all the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, then grind it though the medium plate of your meat grinder.

2. Take all the spices and cure, and stir, mixing them well into the 2 1/2 cups of icey cold water. ( Do not add the black bean flour yet)

3. Pour the water and spice mix into the ground meat and work it all in by hand for at least a few minutes to ensure a even mix of both meats and spices.

4. Add the 1 cup of black bean flour, sprinkle in as you mix the meat further, continue mixing for a couple more minutes to ensure mix is even. The mix is paste like in texture at this point.

5. Stuff the sausage into 32-35mm natural or collagen casings and prepare the links for the smoker. As the sausage is fairly spicey I prefer a lighter smoke so it's not overwhelming.

6. Once the smoking process is completed, package the links and freeze them for up to 4 months.

This recipe is also very good when made as a non-smoked fresh sausage for the frying pan or bar-be-que. Try frying up a sample of your batch as a taste test, you will be pleasantly surprised how good it is! We also make up and ziplock bag for freezing, some hamburger patties for the frying pan or bar-be-que. If you choose that option, you may try adding 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke for flavor. Personally I prefer the real smoke.

Sounds good. Let me tell you how my Italian grandmother soaked any wild game meat. Put it in water, as you mentioned, but add a cap full or two of vinegar, dash of salt, and some garlic. The vinegar drawls the blood out better then just plain water and the garlic adds some flavor. Been doing this way for decades. Removes lots of gamy taste too. Put it in the refrigerator as mentioned.

Joe

45&30-30
12-13-2009, 01:24 PM
abob,

Thank you, I will give that a try this winter I have been looking for more receipes to try out.

Best, 45&30-30

milsurp mike
01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
This sounds great but why the black bean flour?What does it add to the Sausage?I'm interested in this as I'm going to give this a try.Mike

hoosierlogger
01-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Here is my favorite venison summer sausage recipe

Ingredients

* 5 lb Ground venison
* 5 T Quick salt (I used tender quick as well)
* 2 1/2 T Regular salt
* 1 T Liquid smoke flavoring ( I like a little more)
* 2 1/2 T Peppercorns or ground black pepper
* 1/2 T Ground or crushed red pepper
* 2 1/2 TMustard seed
* 2 T Garlic salt
*1/4 cup brown sugar

Preparation

Mix all ingredients together and knead for 10 minutes. Place in a mixing bowl; cover and seal. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove and knead for another 10 minutes. Seal and refrigerate another 24 hours. Divide into five 1 pound portions. Roll each into a log shape. Place on a broiler pan (for drainage) and bake at 150 F for 8 hours. Cool, wrap in foil, and store in refrigerator or freezer.

abob
02-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Quote: "This sounds great but why the black bean flour?What does it add to the Sausage? I'm interested in this as I'm going to give this a try.Mike "

Mike -- We like the flavor, but it also helps in the binding of the mix. Instead of regular flour --- both my lady and I are wheat sensitive. Buckwheat is also very good, however the black bean is tops in flavor to us. :)

Sorry to be slow in replying --- forgot about this post for a while.... Bob.

I should add the black bean or buckwheat flour is not anywhere as starchy as the regular flour, so digests easier with meat mix.

milsurp mike
02-14-2010, 10:08 PM
OK thats what you use it for.I have made alot of sausage and havent tried that yet.I am going to try this one.Mike

whitedogone
02-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I just finished this years salami making. 30# regular and 30# jalapeņo and cheese.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_5551.JPG

milsurp mike
02-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Nice, I made 30 lbs of Summer Sausage this year.Is your salami a dry type that does'nt require refrigeration?Mike

whitedogone
02-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Nope, the pic is of it hanging in my 35 F garage after getting out of the ice/snow bath. Cooling it down real quick after it gets out of the smoker keeps it from "shrivling" up. I then hang it over night near freezing and vac seal then into the freezer.

Jeffery8mm
02-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Whitedog, that is some fine looking groceries you got there!!!!!
Jeff

44man
03-13-2010, 02:31 PM
All super and mouth watering but I have a tip. Don't shoot those old bucks! Shoot young deer or does.
If you shoot a buck, keep the antlers, etc and give the meat away. You might make enemies or have friends avoid you after season but it is worth it. The safe way is to feed the poor.

exile
03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the recipe. I am also wheat sensitive (pretty strange for a guy from Kansas), so this will work well. I went deer hunting for the first time this year, did not get anything, hoping that next year will be better, if the Lord tarries or Obama is not declared king.

exile

Lee
03-13-2010, 04:08 PM
44man +1 Whack the skinheads, more tender.............:D

Old Goat Keeper
03-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Any deer, no matter how old, gets real tender after a trip thru my big grinder! I'm gonna have to try this recipe when I next get a deer.

Tom

pamrick
12-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Can any of you tell me how long to safely store the deer sausage after it is processed?
It is so delicious, and I don't want it to spoil.

Should it be frozen....or is it best refrigerated? How long can you safely refrigerate it and still eat it??

Thanks!

Old Goat Keeper
12-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Depends on what type of sausage you talkin about pamrick. Some dry cure sausages will keep a longitme with no cold just like a virginia dry cure ham. Others for only a couple of days in the frige. But I've kept fresh venison country style sausage in the freezer for 4-5 months without any problems and that was before I got my vacuum packager.

Tom

Lee
12-10-2010, 02:08 AM
Yup, frozen is good for 3-4 months typical. After that it may get tasting strange, though it won't kill you....................:|

Gee_Wizz01
12-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I vacuum seal and freeze my smoked venison sausage as soon as it has cooled down from the smoker. Smoked sausage keeps a lot longer than un smoked sausage. The vacuum packing also prolongs the life of sausage and meat. The garlic in sausage seems to loose its "potency" after 3-4 months. Leaner sausage keeps better than fatter sausage. We found some sausage in the bottom of the freezer that was over a year old and it didn't taste bad. The rest of the family wouldn't try it because they thought it would make them sick, but I ate some and suffered no ill effects.

G

hoosierlogger
04-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Making up a double batch of my sausage this morning. It will be ready to cook in 3 days. The house smells so good right now.

Changeling
06-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Depends on what type of sausage you talkin about pamrick. Some dry cure sausages will keep a longitme with no cold just like a virginia dry cure ham. Others for only a couple of days in the frige. But I've kept fresh venison country style sausage in the freezer for 4-5 months without any problems and that was before I got my vacuum packager.

Tom

You have definately got a big part of the equation covered!!!!

A vacuum sealer puts a whole new light on how things will keep by a long shot, nothing else comes even close!!!!!!!!!:bigsmyl2:

Lloyd Smale
06-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Ive got venison sausage in the freezer from last year and it tastes as good now as it did then. Crop damage deer season opens up in about a month. I cant wait. First deer is making a batch of summer sausage! that doesnt keep in my house. Not because the freezer hurt it but because theres about 10 people begging over here when i make it!

Gray Fox
06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Here in GA we're getting overrun with hogs, and I'm wondering if anyone here has made venison and wild hog sausage, or just hog sausage? Any recipes? Thanks, GF

Lloyd Smale
06-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Ive used it in summer sausage and cant tell the differnce in taste between it and vension. I make sure i only use lean meat though and any fat thats added is domestic pork fat. Im sure it work just as well for breakfast sauage or italian sauage. to be honest in most sausage recipes you could use dog meat and couldnt tell the differnce in taste of the final product.

Twinkiethekid
09-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the recipe! It is very expensive to get sausage done at a meat place been wanting trying making it on my own.

nanuk
09-08-2011, 04:55 PM
pork picnics come on sale around here for $1.00/lb.

I bone them, but leave the skin on

EVERY commercial sausage that contains pork has the skin in it. You'll never know, and the added collogen helps it all stay together and not fall apart

bearcove
08-02-2014, 03:52 PM
bump!

MaryB
08-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Vac packed sausage keeps for a year easy, I just had some that was at 15 months and it tastes as good as the day it was made. But I keep my deep freeze as cold as it will go. Bet this recipe would work well with the grass fed beef I get.

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2014, 06:24 AM
for burger and bulk sausage i buy meat bags and use my sausage stuffer to fill them. Burger easily keeps a year or more in those bags because theres no air in them and its cheaper then vacuum bagging it. Plus the rolls stack nicely in the freezer. You can get differnt collar writing on them so that you can tell which is sausage and which is burger.
Vac packed sausage keeps for a year easy, I just had some that was at 15 months and it tastes as good as the day it was made. But I keep my deep freeze as cold as it will go. Bet this recipe would work well with the grass fed beef I get.

MaryB
08-05-2014, 10:19 PM
My burger comes bagged, farm I buy from has a local butcher do all the processing. $3 a pound last year already flash frozen and then delivered to my front door.

Lloyd Smale
08-11-2014, 05:25 AM
mary id do venison burger by adding a 2lb tube of the cheap crappy burger in a roll from walmart to 10lbs ground venison. We have it figured out for crop damage deer season that factoring in the gas it costs us that i can make it for about a buck and a half a lb. I remember when i would have cringed at spending 3 bucks a lb on burger but anymore thats a steal. especially for high quality burger like your getting. Cheap fatty stuff at the store cost more then that.

Bodydoc447
08-11-2014, 07:07 PM
mary id do venison burger by adding a 2lb tube of the cheap crappy burger in a roll from walmart to 10lbs ground venison. We have it figured out for crop damage deer season that factoring in the gas it costs us that i can make it for about a buck and a half a lb. I remember when i would have cringed at spending 3 bucks a lb on burger but anymore thats a steal. especially for high quality burger like your getting. Cheap fatty stuff at the store cost more then that.

That's how we do our ground venison. We package it in the meat bags as either plain ground meat or make chorizo out of it and then bulk pack it in the bags.

MaryB
08-11-2014, 10:00 PM
You couldn't pay me to buy that hamburger, nasty! I would just call the farm and order some 80/20 or ground chuck.