PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new rifle

Ivantherussian03
05-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I am interested in a new rifle. I was thinking about Mosin Nagant( 91/30 & or M44)

What is the common wisdom about these?

Leadmine
05-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I love the Mosin Nagants. I have M91/30's 44's and 38;s. They are an extremely good value. Most of the rifles have been through the arsenal and are in good shape. Usually the bores are pretty good too but you should look at them. Bores can vary in size and you should slug your rifle to get an idea what to size your cast bullets.

Mine shoot very well and handle cast bullets perfect. My favorite cast bullet is a lyman 314299. I also shoot 311413's quite a bit too.

I really like the 91/30's the best. I have one I mounted a scope on (scout stye) and it will shoot 1 inch at one hundred yards with cast.

Surplus ammo is also availbel so it makes for cheap shooting.

These are strong well built guns, and I think they are the best value on the surplus market today.

If your going around with a name like Ivantherussian, you'd best have at least one mosin in the arsenal!

C1PNR
05-14-2006, 01:37 AM
And don't forget about the 1891/59 Carbine. Unlike the M44, this one was never intended for a bayonet.

I've got the M44, and an M38, too, but really like my '91/59. And do look at and slug the bore. Mine range from .300 x .312 to .302 x .314.

Buckshot
05-14-2006, 03:55 AM
................Like any other surplus rifle they may or may not have issues. In general I think they are a tremendous bargain and are a real powerhouse in a small package. I have a couple and am ashamed to say after owning them for several years I've only put maybe 40 rounds apiece through them.

In my mind I've kind of grouped 3 of these short rifles together as great 'truck' guns of nominally the same capabilities. That is the Russian M44/M38, the M95 Steyr, and the #5 Jungle carbine. While you can get good accuracy out of any of them, their shorter sight radius (the #5 having the longest) make it a bit more work.

....................Buckshot

nelson133
05-14-2006, 08:40 PM
I've got Mosinitis and own 4, but the best shooting ones are the Finns. They cost a bit more, but if you get one of the Finn rebarreled Mosins, you/ll generally find them to be real shooters. The problems most people have with the mosins are the almost unusable safety, long creepy triggers, and stiff bolt action. The last 2 can be fixed with a little home gunsmithing. Try ww.surplusrifles.com for lots of good info.

Four Fingers of Death
05-14-2006, 10:44 PM
The Finn rebarrels were done by Sako I've been led to believe, thats why they are good.

I have a Remington which was made in 1917 in completely original trim. I haven't fired a shot through it yet because I bought it a month or two ago and it didn't fit in the gun cabinet I have at the moment and I had to park it at home in my big safe there.

No problem with sight radius with this one! lol, the Barrel looks to be almost three feet, gotta be 32" long at least. I have two M17Remingtons which I am very fond of. The fact that this Remington/Nagant was made in 1917 attracted me to it.