PDA

View Full Version : Krag barrels!

madsenshooter
11-26-2009, 01:31 PM
For those of you with highly worn or oversized Krag barrels, (we can deal with oversized), the CMP is offering new krag barrels for either rifle or carbine. No details yet, except that they're made by Criterion, cost $199.95, and are going fast! I don't know if they have proper front sights or if they're blued or in the white, or anything else, but my order is in for a rifle barrel to replace the model 96 barrel a mud dauber built his next in the end of. Wow, I'll finally have a .308 Krag barrel and can say goodbye to my .303 Krag! (Not really, it's a keeper)

Bob S
11-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow, I'll finally have a .308 Krag barrel!

Maybe.

I have one on order also, and the order is "processing". We'll have to compare notes when they come in.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

madsenshooter
11-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm hoping the processing takes awhile Bob, otherwise I'm going to be dipping into my overdraft protection! But in jumping around a few forums I saw a lot of orders going in and figured I'd get in line too. The place I work at is paying me the equivalent of 7 days pay for working 3 this week, and those are 12 hour days, so I hope the the CMP is really swamped with orders and that the processing takes a few days.

madsenshooter
11-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Just got done looking around the CMP forum Bob, the rifles have no front sight installed, it's still a deal though. Imagine the cost of a good blank long enough to finish out at 30", having it turned and threaded, rear sight holes drilled and tapped. Those, by the way are an M4 with a now obsolete 1mm pitch, so figure on using M4x.7 screws. Any hoo, it's still a deal!

cajun shooter
11-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a 98 that has been in my familky for about 50 years now. It was given to me when I was 15 and I'm 62 now. My step-father who gave it to me won it in the 60's in a contest in Columbus, IND. I think. I fired it when home on leave in 1967. I'm sure it needs a bbl. Could you give me the info please. Later David

madsenshooter
11-28-2009, 11:23 AM
First the latest:

Here's the latest from the CMP forum, ask Orest:

Orest, How are the Criterion Krag barrels configured? Is there a front sight base installed, pretty much is my biggest question, or are they 'slick', and need to have one installed? Thanks.....

To which Orest replied:
you have to remove the sight from the take-off barrel. they are 'slick'.

I'm going to interpret that as "without rear sight holes too" but that's ok, saves some indexing headaches. For those of you who get one, remember, they're M4x1mm, and you're not going to find a tap that size. M4x.7mm will be as close as you're going to get I believe. What does that do to "as issued"? I'd think little, it certainly wouldn't give anyone any sort of advantage. But what about 1901 windage pivot screws? And what if I decided to use socket head cap screws instead of slotted?

Now, there are some eligibility requirements that have to be met before you can buy parts from the CMP. The site isn't easy to navigate, first go here and check out the requirements: http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

I put in an order, but lack membership in a CMP affiliated organization, sent a check to the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association today to remedy that, there are links to search for a CMP affiliate near you. There are firing requirements and proof of citizenship. There are loopholes, read the FAQ. No firing requirement for vets, C&R holders, people who have proof of having taken a hunter safety course, etc. All this junk has to be mailed, faxed or scanned and emailed to the CMP, and you got to dig around to find out where, it won't be easy to find, keep looking around. Sorry I don't have time to do it step by step for you, good luck!

Shiloh
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
How tricky is it to re-barrel?? I mean with the hardened receiver and 110 years of them being on. Will the receivers crack. Who does it?? Where does one get an action wrench??

Shiloh

madsenshooter
11-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Action wrenches are available from ebay and on gunbroker (same fellow) they are well made and come with inserts of various sizes, so they can be used for other projects as well. I've taken a few Krag barrels off, haven't cracked any receivers yet, the barrels aren't put in as tight as a 1917 Enfield. Since there are no sights to insure alignment of, the biggest thing would be making sure the extractor slot (if they have one cut) lines up. Cutting that may be left up to the buyer as well, I don't know. Headspacing a rimmed cartridge is simple enough, go and no go gauges are available on ebay and gunbroker as well. Along those lines, I recently read a post from a fellow that had a Krag where the go gauge wouldn't go, but a cartridge would fit, rims on the cartridges are a few thousandths thinner than what they used to be. A go gauge is .060 , no go .064 and a field gauge is .070.

madsenshooter
12-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I was wrong above, the rear sight holes are drilled and tapped also, but with a so far unknown thread, the extractor cut is already made too. The barrels are rough chambered, which means one could throat it the way they want rather than just living with a throat made for a 220gr roundnose.