PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP 101

Dale53
05-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I have really "got it in" for some of you guys (you know who you are!). I mentioned a day or so ago that I was going to the Ohio Gun Collectors Show. I had BEGGED you fellows to tell me the Ruger SP101 was junk so I wouldn't be tempted. NO! NOT YOU! All I heard was nice things about the Ruger. Not one of you had the compassion to help me out.

Sure enough, there was ONE Ruger SP101 in .32 Magnum (4" with adjustable sights). It was brand new in the box. The price was attractive and got even more attractive after a little discussion. It came home with me. THANKS A LOT, some friends you turned out to be.

What a neat little revolver. It is extremely well built (at least it looks like it:) ). Of course, it has the typical Ruger trigger (heavy and with some creep). Well, a little judicious work and it'll be smooth and a spring kit will work wonders with the weight of pull.

Like I needed another .32 magnum...

Where do I find, "Revolvers Anonymous"?

Dale53

9.3X62AL
05-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Good purchase, Dale. Likely the strongest 32 Magnum out there, excepting the Blackhawks made with the 32-20 swap cylinder--and a whole lot more portable.

lastmanout
05-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Great little sixgun. I sold mine in 22lr, but would not have sold a 32 Mag. Should make a great kit gun. Still have a 3" IN 357. Hogue grips really make the sixgun comfortable. AND I just happen to have a spare set for the 101 that can be had at a great price ( shameless PLUG) . Either way you are gonna like that new sixgun.

redneckdan
05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
How does the SP101 compare to the J-frame? I'm sorta sniffing around for a carry gun. I've tried the j-frame and its too damn small. A 2.5" model 19 is tempting but thats kinda big.

cabezaverde
05-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I have a 2" 357 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips. Probably my favorite handgun.

Scrounger
05-13-2006, 07:28 PM
How does the SP101 compare to the J-frame? I'm sorta sniffing around for a carry gun. I've tried the j-frame and its too damn small. A 2.5" model 19 is tempting but thats kinda big.

Comparing the J-frame to the SP101 is like comparing a bicycle to a Harley. It's a typical Ruger, it's over-engineered for safety. Here'a pixture of my 3 inch .357:

Dale53
05-13-2006, 07:52 PM
The advertised weight of the SP101 is 30 ounces. That is pretty portable. However, my Air Weight S&W Chiefs Special .38 +P weighs fifteen ounces. The Scandium frame weighs even less. However, before I bought my Airweight, I shot a Scandium frame "J" frame snub nose. It was EXTREMELY painful. The Airweight is light enough for me. After all, I DO shoot my guns.:mrgreen:

FWIW
Dale53

Harry O
05-13-2006, 08:03 PM

I have one of each. Both completely steel. Actually, the Ruger is even closer than the one you have. It is one of the very early .38 Specials, with a shorter frame and cylinder than they make now. The Ruger is heavier, bigger, and is a newer (stronger) design. Really no comparison.

For example, the cylinder of the Ruger is only slightly larger in diameter than the S&W, but the frame is much heavier. The frame is also one-piece (no cutout on one side like the S&W), which makes it much stronger than the S&W. The ruber also has a shorter length between cylinder locks (front of frame instead of on the barrel). The only problem is that the Ruger is not as easy to carry as the S&W. That is what it is for isn't it?

redneckdan
05-13-2006, 09:00 PM
So if I read yer guys' posts right, yer sayin the SP101 has a grip about like the k frame? If so, sounds good. The J is just too dang small to get a grip on. The guy I get would be for CPL, as a 2nd option to my 1911.

lastmanout
05-13-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree with everything said by the guys about the sp101. I have owned 3- a 2" in 22LR- a 3" in .357 and a 2" in .357. With the stock square rubber grips recoil IS PAINFUL in the 357. Aftermarket grips 100%+improvement. It is a chunky little beast at 30 ozs. but I doubt I could wear one out in a lifetime of use. I DO shoot my guns. I sold off my 2" 357- it had a real bark with full 357 loads. I have no doubt it is a good choice for personal carry. BUT after 30 years of packing wheelguns I have surrendered and now carry a a compact Glock autoloader in 45 GAP. It is a lot easier to conceal and the bark is not a LOUD as a 357. I still have my Ruger 101 for those walks in the woods. The Smith and Wesson always has had a better trigger and classic looks with a bit more fragility than the Ruger. Both a great weapons. Good luck and good hunting.

Bucks Owin
05-14-2006, 10:44 AM
How does the SP101 compare to the J-frame?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Rugertank.jpg

'nuff said? :-D

Dennis

9.3X62AL
05-14-2006, 12:31 PM
I shot an SP-101 identical to Scrounger's photo a few years ago. It belonging to my sister in Bozeman, and we adjourned to a cow pasture for targeting after ineffectively whipping the Gallatin River with fly rods. Its stock grips were a little painful with full-bore 357 loads in my large hands, but some aftermarket grips would solve that problem. Weight-wise, there's not much difference between it and a 2.5" M-19/66. The strength issue favors the Ruger convincingly. A J-frame 357 Magnum is NO FUN to shoot, period. An Airweight or Scandium frame just aggravates that attribute.

nelson133
05-14-2006, 08:32 PM
I've got an SP101 factory dehorned DAO in.357 with the short barrel and it has been my main carry gun for about 5 years. I had mine ported at Magnaport and it does help with the "bounce" when shooting full power loads. Marvelous, sturdy tool, seems unbreakable. Through much firing, dry and live, I've got the trigger down to a nice smooth pull. I own alot of pistols and try to carry others, but I always end up with the Ruger.

klausg
05-17-2006, 08:23 AM
redneckdan- I am in agreement with the rest on the SP101 vs. J-frame. One thing that wasn't mentioned, is that , for me at least, the Ruger 'points' a whole heck of a lot better. Every time I bring a J-frame up to eye level, it's cocked about 20-30 degrees to the left, (I'm right-handed). I don't know, maybe it's just something with me; however my Rugers (2 of 'em, .22LR & .357 both 2 1/4" bbl) are pretty much on target as soon as they come up. Good luck in your search...

-SSG Klaus

Dale53
05-17-2006, 11:14 AM
After shooting the SP101, I decided that the factory grips wouldn't quite cut it. A gentleman on here offered a pair of Hogue's grips at a VERY nice price but I reacted too slowly and someone else bought them. I went to my local shop and got a pair (only paid a little over twice as much[smilie=1:).

At any rate, the new grips are larger than the factory ones but are well shaped and much more comfortable (may be an issue for concealed carry but my SP101 will just be used at the range and in the field).

The revolver shoots quite well. I think I have a keeper IF I can get the trigger to be "shooter friendly" (dern near need two hands to pull the trigger in single action much less in double action). I was going to order a spring kit (Wolf) but happened to be at my local pistolsmith on another matter. I ended up leaving the Ruger with him for a trigger job (incl a spring kit). I'll get back in a week or so.

I am really looking forward to trying it out when it gets back.

One other thing, the trigger could stand a little reworking at the finger contact points (edges need rounding).
Picky? Who, me??[smilie=1:

Incidentally, I was with a friend who picked up a used, like new, Taurus Tracker 4" ported .45 Colt (not ACP). I have little experience with the modern Taurus so can't speak about longevity, but that revolver sure was made well. Very smooth double action and a NICE light single action pull. The trigger was contoured so it was user friendly. A really nice package. If I hadn't just bought the SP101, I would have definitely bought it (I had the offer before my friend). I will get to shoot it, tho' so at least I'll get to check it out.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
05-17-2006, 11:42 AM
I also like the Hogue grips on "obnoxious" handguns. Good point about the neoprene "tackiness" of Hogues over factory stocks, the Pachmayrs, or wood grips. The Hogues want to grab shirts or jackets and "let your slip show" a lot more readily than these other grip types if CCW is a factor. Also, the rubber consistency is such that the tackiness leads to blistering on my thumb/forefinger web of the strong hand after sustained firing of heavier loads in handguns equipped with the Hogues. Shooting gloves for extended range sessions might be a good idea.

I have long preferred neoprene grips for service sidearms. Having once had to rassle a guy for my service revolver, the tactile surface of the Pachmayrs (in addition to grabbing the grip first) helped greatly in retaining control of the weapon.

Old Ironsights
05-17-2006, 01:14 PM
My primary carry is a 2" SP101 with hammer (Single action guy - double action in a pinch). As I am an old Casull Hand, I really don't mind the recoil much. That said, my best results have come from Winchester 158gr .38SP+P LSWCHP and Federal VitalShock/HiShock 180gr .357 SJHP. According to my chrono and Federal, the 180SJHPs will still open up at SD ranges if multiple layers of denim/leather aren't a factor.

Both loads are far more managable than cheap box Americal Eagle/Magtech 158grSPs.

Since I refuse to buy Self Defense ammo that is too expensive to practice with, I haven't tried any of the "uber Self Defense" ammos out there for $1/rd.

Bodydoc447
05-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Dale,

Glad to hear you are getting a trigger job on the SP101. Mine was pretty good from the factory. The only thing I am doing in the short term to mine is to replace the front sight with a taller one so I can get the 120 grain GB bullets to hit closer to POA at 25 yards. I am going to look into the Hogue grips you mentioned as well, although I don't have a problem with the factory grips. Guess I need to shoot it some more to be sure!

Enjoy.

Doc
aka "the enabler"

Dale53
05-17-2006, 02:51 PM
If yours is like mine (and I believe that is so) I would also need a higher front sight for the 120 gr bullets. I shot some and they are hitting about 6" high at 25 yards (plus or minus as I did not save the targets).

I really like the Hogue grips. I have too many handguns to count and I must confess that most of them have "rubber" grips. I'm most interested in what shoots and feels good rather than terribly concerned by appearance. I guess you might say I am "Performance Oriented" (goes for women, too - if they can't cook I have little interest:mrgreen:). If that makes me a "Male Chauvinist Pig", so be it:drinks: .

Dale53

DanWalker
05-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Incidentally, I was with a friend who picked up a used, like new, Taurus Tracker 4" ported .45 Colt (not ACP). I have little experience with the modern Taurus so can't speak about longevity, but that revolver sure was made well. Very smooth double action and a NICE light single action pull. The trigger was contoured so it was user friendly. A really nice package. If I hadn't just bought the SP101, I would have definitely bought it (I had the offer before my friend). I will get to shoot it, tho' so at least I'll get to check it out.

Dale53

I hope his is better than mine was. I bought mine brand new and it was a piece of crap. After less than a cylinder of standard pressure 45 ammo it stopped functioning in double action. Once the gunsmith got that sorted out I attempted to find a cast load it would shoot worth a hoot. Best I ever did was a 3" group at 25 yards with 255gr rnfp lead over 6.5 grains of red dot. It shot JHP's into 2" groups, but it definately wasn't anything to brag about accuracy wise.
My blackhawk shoots circles around it. I wound up selling it(The tracker) last year and bought a ruger MKII in 22lr.